Controller Profiles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KW Studios, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'd say go for Get Real, Amateur isn't that much different, just a little less slippery. You should definitely put some time into adapting the controller settings to your needs after you had a little practice and feel comfortable with just driving.

If you want some initial guidance, I suggest you visit the leaderboard of the track you want to drive on and challenge the time somebody put on the board. In the pre-race menu you can select to have this drivers ghost displayed (so you can chase him) or have his raceline displayed or both. That should help with finding the ideal line.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  2. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Okay, thanks. I'll try to persevere on Get Real mode, but maybe start off with a small amount of traction control

3. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    @Paradox Ali - just to let you know, I've been getting one pretty well with your profile for XBox One Controller on page 9, and using a steering lock of 13, it could maybe be improved a little, but I'm not quite sure what all the settings do yet!

I have the gear up/down shift mapped to the right front and back paddles on the right hand of my XBox Elite Controller (I tried mapping the down shift to one of the left paddles, which was easier in some ways, but I found as I'm using the left trigger to brake and the left stick to steer it was too difficult to manage down shifting on the left hand side too, so I've removed all paddles from the left hand side, as can grip the controller better).

The XBox One Elite controller comes with three different thumbstick lengths (attached with strong magnets) for each side. I have the longest stick on the left to steer, as found thus gives a little more control for small steering changes, and the shortest on the right for quick look left/right/back.

Right trigger is throttle, left brake. I'm still playing around with what's best to map to the other buttons - basically the ones I have left are the two shoulder buttons, and two of the X/Y/A/B buttons (the paddles mirror two of these), plus I think one of the buttons on the top middle of the controller. I currently have left shoulder button mapped to change view, right to pause, X to ignition, but there may be more useful functions to map to these buttons?

What are the most useful functions to map to the buttons not used for the main controls?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  4. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I had the gear shift on X and B buttons as my standard controller does not have these additional paddles. I am not sure, maybe a steering lock of 13 is what I used to. I wanted to use the setting for the 360 controller and that is steering lock 8. Possibly I forgot to set ist to 8 before creating the profile in the car I used.

For finetuning I suggest to use the sensitivity and dead zone and eventually the return multiplier. First, check if you can drive easily straight without to many corrections. If not, change the dead zone until it is possible and feels comfortable. Then, you can finetune the sensitivity.

5. Benny7881

Benny7881 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Is there anything known about presets of FFB for different wheel types?

Would like to have a suggestion for my CSW base V1 and Formula Rim as a baseline which can be finetuned then.

6. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I don't know how similar the V1 is to the V2, but I would try a V2 profile and optimize it to the V1. You can use any profile as a base and check how it feels. First, optimize lateral force until ist feels good, than add vertical load to it.

7. Cervidal

Cervidal New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm having some trouble find a way to make it to where I can have throttle control with the trigger buttons on my controller. Its a PS4 controller but it acts just like a Xbone controller. When I press the trigger half way it just gives full throttle, is there a way to set the sensitivity to where my input will reflect the same way in the game? IE if I press half throttle it only gives half throttle?

8. Spazo

Spazo Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Anyone can share G27 settings on the new patch ? I'm a little bit lost right now

• Like Like x 2
  9. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    That's odd, I don't get this with my XBox One Elite controller in R3E, are you using Paradox Ali's settings on page 9 of this thread?

10. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like it's not calibrated right, can you check and/or re-do the calibration in the gamepad's config menu in Windows?

11. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Check in the windows game controller settings if the triggers are working properly in the tests. If no, try to calibrate it, if this is possible for this controller. If this is not possible to get it to work properly in the windows controller configuration, the controller or it's software will be the problem. If it works fine in these tests, it should work in R3E too, So, perform the tests within the R3E controller configuration again. If it works over the triggers full range, it can be configured properly.

If you just have the problem I had with the xbox one controller, the low resistance of the triggers, you can try to reduce the throttle sensitivity (what I did) or create a dead zone for it. If you do the first, be aware that the triggers will be less sensitive in the short range, but more sensitive in the end of it's travel.

12. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I was checking in after the new game update and it seems to me as if the controls (at least with my gamepad) feel very different to what I have experienced before. I was cruising with my beloved Audi R8 at Zolder, what I am used to... but my results where awful. Maybe I am not concentrated enough at this time. But, if I am right, my delivered profiles here are not that useful any more and need a rework now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Argh! Okay, will try some driving this weekend using your current profiles and will see if things are worse than before, though am not sure that my driving could be any worse! I've not done any laps yet since the recent update.

If you do have any suggested tweaks after further experimentation, please post them here!

14. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Anyone willing to share settings for a DFGT or at least a Logitech wheel? Yet again the dreaded overpowering centering force is back for me :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Of course I will. But at first I have to improve my driving I think. The steering seems to be more sensitive and accurate with the new GTR3 physics, but it seemed to me it also is less forgiving when steering too quickly and too hard, resulting in more spins. As the day I tested I was not that focused I normally am, I have to figure out if the problem is my bad driving or the difference in the physics.

As for now, using a 360 controller, I have lowered the dead zone to around 5%. In my Xbox One gamepad profile the optimum value seemed to be 7% dead zone, so it should still work.

16. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Okay. BTW in the XBox One Accessories app in Windows 10 it's possible to change the sensitivity curves for the XBox One Elite controller (don't think you can do this with the standard XBox One controller in Windows 10 yet, but you can on the XBox One console, weird!), I was thinking what might help in racing sims would be to use one of the profiles below, so you only get high sensitivity when really turning tight, and most of the time it would be less sensitive,so would potentially give a little more control over steering (i.e. larger thumbstick movement required to move the wheels the same amount compared to normal), maybe the "delay" profile, what do you think? Worth a go? Or is this just likely to make the steering more unpredictable?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's also possible to adjust these profiles a little, which one do you think would work best for R3E?

17. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The R3E controller menu offers similar options. The three steering zones are doing the same as your profiler does, but a bit less accurate as there are only fixed values for fixed zones instead of flexible curves. Is it possible to create your own curve in that profiler? I felt best with an almost linear, slow increasing setting in the R3E menu, like the default 2.0 - 2.1 - 2.2 for my controller. With larger differences between these values (for example 1.8 - 2.0 - 2.2) the steering did not feel that smooth anymore and I felt it harder to get used to it. The delay setting in the profiler looks like something useful for R3E...

In general, this is good news... Using this tool I could work around the problems I had with the xbox one standard controller and finally get something better than my 360 thing.

18. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    As far as I can tell, you only have limited control over the curves in the XBox Accessory app, but I'll do some experiments and will post here if I find out anything useful. I wasn't fully aware that the steering zones in R3E were doing something similar, interesting!

I don't know if the configuration options available in the XBox Accessory app will ever be opened up to the standard XBox One controller in Windows, maybe, though Microsoft may choose to limit it to the XBox One Elite controller, to make that seem more "special".

It's a shame that R3E doesn't seem to support any of the rumble/feedback options on the XBox One controller, as not only does it have rumble motors for both grips, like on the 360 controller, it also has "Impulse Triggers", which can also offer vibration feedback - I think in Forza 6 on XBox One these are used to indicate loss of grip (on the right trigger) and when the brakes are starting to lock up (on the left trigger), with the grip rumble motors used to warn when going off the track/hitting kerbs etc.

19. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    BTW this button mapping for Forza 6 is close to what I'm using for R3E currently, though I'm not using a clutch (is there any point in R3E with only an on/off input for this from the controller?), and have the shift up/down paddles the other way around.

[​IMG]

20. w4nn13

w4nn13 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    OK so I used your settings and its better but is their any change since update?