Resolved Workaround if you cannot join your own dedi server

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Christian G, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The access file is only needed to be able to access the servers frontend (the setup page where you determine which tracks and cars to use etc.). You don't need to create such a file for people who only want to join the server in-game.

When external clients can't join that's usually caused by faulty port forwarding or some security utility (firewall or alike).
    So make sure that no firewall or other security software is blocking external connection attempts. If possiblr, add the dedi exe to those programs whitelist.

Regarding the port forwarding, the exact procedure varies depending on the router/modem used, but here's what you have to do in general:

Opening and Forwarding Ports

- Opening and forwarding of required ports (UDP and TCP) is the only technical aspect a server host needs to know.

- Host needs to ensure that ports are open to be used by the dedicated server application.

- Opening and forwarding of ports can vary from router to router. However the below examples should be enough to give an idea of where to do it in router admin settings. (please see examples below)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For detailed info about forwarding ports check your routers manual. You should make sure that the forwarding is not dynamic, that causes issues sometimes.
    You need to forward the following ports:

- Dedicated app uses an offset +2 system to assign the ports upon starting a server. This work as explained below.

Upon launching the first server the following ports will be assigned.

UDP: 60000 (Used for server connection)

TCP: 60001 (Used for game traffic, content data)

UDP: 60002 (Used for ping and time synchronization)

When launching the second server, the following ports will be assigned.

UDP: 60003 (Used for server connection)

TCP: 60004 (Used for game traffic, content data)

UDP: 60005 (Used for ping and time synchronization)

2. Timo Heyden

Timo Heyden Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    You need also an Router which handlings with IPv4 and not with IPv6.
    With IPv6 you can't do a Port Forwarding.

3. lifeofbrian

lifeofbrian Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    OK, the server now works apart from, when I run the dedi server, then run Raceroom, at the race start (either in my server or another), the game minimizes to desktop, then comes back either just before the start, or as happened to me tonight, just after it. Ever heard of this?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  4. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    HI there, i had a good working dedicated server.
    In this week RaceRoom was down for a while and after that i have the following problems.
    When i started the dedicated server i get a pop-up that i'm not registrated (wich is not thrue)
    if I try to registrate i got this message again.
    Sometimes my dedicated server is okay when i started my pc again.
    But i think that this is not the solution.
    Can you help me with this?

5. Jason Winton

Jason Winton New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Christian Göpfert
    Worked perfectly in one sense
    I have 2 PC's, I can now host and join on one PC but my other computer can't (but can see the game in lobby). I than host and join on the other PC it works but then the other PC cant connect - Server Connection error with a white screen.

Can join other games on the lobby, can host my own game but the other PC gets a server connection error.

Both running on the same IP, set ports and permissions and firewall.
    I must be missing one step, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    So you want to host on PC #1 and join with PC #2 which both are connected to the same router/part of the same LAN, is that correct?

This could be caused by several factors:
    1) Try disabling UPnP in your Router.
    2) Are you starting the dedi tool through steam? If so try moving the dedi exe to another folder and starting it directly without steam running. (It is also advised to start it with admin rights)
    3) There is a known issue when trying to connect two clients from the same LAN to steam games. Maybe this sollution could help in your scenario as well: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6370-QPHJ-3567
    Try doing this for the dedi tool on PC #1 and the game on PC #2 (f.e. set "+clientport 27005" for the dedi tool on PC #1 and "+clientport 27006" for the game on PC #2).

Try those methods first and report back whether they helped or not.

7. Jason Winton

Jason Winton New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the prompt response.
    So you want to host on PC #1 and join with PC #2 which both are connected to the same router/part of the same LAN, is that correct?
    Yes exactly that

Did that no change
    2) Are you starting the dedi tool through steam? If so try moving the dedi exe to another folder and starting it directly without steam running. (It is also advised to start it with admin rights)
    Did that no change

I'll investigate your suggestions and report back.

8. Jason Winton

Jason Winton New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes exactly

This could be caused by several factors:

Did that, no luck.

Did that, no luck.
    3) There is a known issue when trying to connect two clients from the same LAN to steam games. Maybe this sollution could help in your scenario as well: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6370-QPHJ-3567
    Try doing this for the dedi tool on PC #1 and the game on PC #2 (f.e. set "+clientport 27005" for the dedi tool on PC #1 and "+clientport 27006" for the game on PC #2).

Did that no luck.

Try those methods first and report back whether they helped or not.

So is the problem because my PC's are using the same fixed IP address?
    I can host and join the game on #PC1, but #PC2 simply can not see the game in the lobby and vica versa.
    I then host and join the game on #PC2, but #PC1 simply can not see the game in the lobby,

Any help appreciated.

9. SlidWays34.5

SlidWays34.5 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

10. marco matheus

marco matheus New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    muito obrigado!

11. SlidWays34.5

SlidWays34.5 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok so far so good.

12. Mancho

Mancho New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

Habe folgendes Problem. 2 rechner, einer hostet und kann auch beitreten, der 2 rechner kann nicht beitreten! Andere spieler können auch beitreten. Auf meinen rechneren sind die loopback eingerichtet, ports alles offen.
    Hat da jemand eine idee wie man in einem netzwerk hosten und mit 2 clients spielen kann?

Thx

13. SlidWays34.5

SlidWays34.5 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you!!!

14. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I've got an untested(!) idea regarding a separated gaming PC in the same LAN as the dedi server.
    @Christian Göpfert could you have a look to check if this is possible?

1. First find out your public IP. This is the IP your router has got on the WAN port. (It does not start with 192.168!) For example, let's assume it is 1.2.3.4

2. Open the network adapter settings on your dedi server. Add the 1.2.3.4 address as an additional address with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

3. On your gaming PC also add an additional address on your network adapter. use 1.2.3.5(!)
    The first 3 numbers are the same; the last one has to be different

Now you have an additional IP range in your LAN network where you can connect to your dedi server with the public IP address of the router. Therefore I guess RR should be able to join the dedi.

Hope that helps! ;-)

How to add additional addresses:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Sounds intriguing, especially as it's more straight forward than the loopback adapter workaround.
    But if I'm not taking this terribly wrong this would only apply for instances where the server and client are two physical machines in the same LAN, right? (I.e. you have two network adapters to which you can assign separate IP's)
    Also you need to make sure the random IP you assign isn't in use somewhere else I suppose. (Which isn't a big issue, just sth one needs to mind.)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  16. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Well, I am unable to test it myself since all my routers do automatic loopback by default :p

As far as I have understood the overall process the dedi connects to the RR servers and performs a registration. The registration contains the public IP, the ports you see in the server configuration web page and some settings data like classes, tracks and so on.
    When someone tries to join the dedi from the multiplayer list, this registration data is used to establish the network connection. In the end of the day it comes down to the question: When my gaming pc uses my public IP address as destination for the network connection, can I reach my dedi?

Your solution with the loopback adapter provides exactly that.

However I guess it should work aswell when you assign the public IP as an additional address on your one and only(!) network adapter. In this case use the subnet mask 255.255.255.255 should be used so you are not in conflict if someone else has an address in that range. This case should be checked if the dedi is on the same machine as the game itself.

The other scenario with a separated dedi in your LAN works similar. Only that the dedi has assigned the desired IP address and the gaming PC has an address in the same subnet range. Every PC just needs one network card - This stays the same. Just for the sake of simplicity I suggest to use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (both PCs same) which might cover addresses someone else uses. Than you cannot connect to these others. if you really like to, you can do a subnet mask calculation to clear that up, but honestly... who really likes to do subnet calculations :p

• Like Like x 1
  17. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    By starting the dedicated server it says there must an update in steam.
    But in steam is'nt any update.
    I can't start the dedi server.

18. Maddawg

Maddawg Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I wish there was a thread for the opposite. I can join my server but no one else can.

19. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if this problem got solved by now, but this typically is caused by a faulty port forwarding. I assume you did pay attention and didn't mix up the TCP and UDP ports, in which case it might actually be connected to the forwarding method.
    Several routers offer two or more separate modes, usually called port forwarding and port triggering (or sometimes dynamic port forwarding). Usually port forwarding is the one to use, cause port triggering actually requires an outgoing request for the port to be opened.
    Either way, if your router supports more than one method of forwarding, delete the entries you've made and try opening the ports by using the method you didn't use before. :)

20. Maddawg

Maddawg Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Christian. No, still haven't resolved this issue. The ports are correct. Its okay though, we just go into multi-player instead. My brain is toast at my age and I can't over tax it, lol.