The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I guess that he's 45 seconds faster in R3E. But when it comes to SVG BIOSPORT who knows, it just kinda all blurs together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Please, could someone finally ban this guy, at least temporary, so he can relax a bit and take his meds? His nonsensical posts and links clutter every other thread.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    No need for a ban, he does not start rumbles.

Its both obvious and profane what he is after. He protests against the mere existence of this thread.

Lets live with it, there are worse things going on on the internet.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Kunos's physics wizard Aristotelis Vesilakos comments and provides hard fact on the recent claim that the fuel consummation of the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car is consuming too little fuel.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...che-911-gt3-cup-real-life-correlation.131344/

It seems it is up to Reiza and iRacing to update their cars instead.

Empty Box did a compartison video on the one car in htree different sims, on the same track they all share. He found that iRacing and Automobilista have close, almost identical fuel consummation, while that of AC is much slower, explaining in his opinion why the car performs slightly slower at Imola than in the other sim (slower fuel rate: higher fuel weight)

However, Empty Box is a good guy, his opinions usually are very reasonably formed up. In the video he points out that ten years ago you could have had three sims and one and the same car, and it would be totally diferent a car in each of them, while today you have the same one car in three sims - and in all three sims you see the similiarities and that this indeed is one and the same car, and you feel the same basic, typical characteristics in each of them.

Physics developement has made great progress in racing sims! ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  5. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Edit:
    Some people seem to be confused about a perceived contradiction between what the editor said ("they will update AC"), and what Aris said ("We must not update, the other sims must update").

Here is the math: Aris gives real world data of fuel consummation for Imola, from Porsche and from a race team competing there. They say the car drinks 2.4 liters per lap. a lap has 4.9 km at Imola. Over 100km, that makes 49 liters, while AC's virtual car needs 54 liters. iRacing and Automobilista both need 80+ liters. So it is iR and AM that need to update their physics for that car, and AC is much much closer to the real thing.

The 2017 Cup car would consume even less fuel.

6. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Just a minor addition to this... Aris said the data & telemetry he got from that race team he asked was for the 2016 car. That car has 15hp less, among some other minor differences. So, not an exact comparison, but close enough to know that the fuel rate AC had was already quite accurate, while the others arent.

7. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Earlier this week, by coincidence right on my birthday :), they released update 1.12, which amongst many changes under the hood and bringing all cars to tyre model v10, also brought the new Scottish Highland track(s), and the classic Audi Quattro Rally car.

The track is trying to simulate real world roads, and if that is the kind of track somebody is looking for, it is a winner. People wanting to master the challenges that artificially designed dedicated race tracks bring up with their wanted difficulties and tighter corners, may find it less interesting. so it depends on what you are looking for. Taken for themselves the tracks are good, really. Lotus-25 on the shortest Highlands track, is fun, and almost a kart race.

The Audi is - well, another car that feels quite individual. I have little to say on it, since it does not match my interest, it also has a braking behavior I find strange. Or should I say: I find it difficult to adapt to.

To my big dissapointment, this is the second update in sequence that shows no really visible improvements of the AI. The AI in AI-vs-player situations is - well, usable, and somewhat okay, but the AI in situations of AI-vs-AI still is hopelessly behind, and still loves to form car trains at times, and refuses to overtake slower cars. It simply is boring. I have started to get the creepy feeling that they intend to leave it like this, since no progress is to be seen since many months now. The unique way they have chosen to do the AI in, to simlate every car with the totally complete and full physics set, question the wisdom of their design decision on this "feature". Big time investment, big CPU resource investment - but no satisfyingly loud Bang to be heard. AC continues to be a MP, and a SP hotlapping simulator in the first. Disappointing a bit.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  8. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Ooooh 'real world road' : I like the sound of that.
    Anyone remember the Scottish track in Test Drive : Ferrari?

Totally agree. The car physics is 'perfect' but the driver is an idiot.
    I love AC for the variety of tracks and cars, the handling and the graphics, but for me, the AI is just mobile scenery.

In my English language mock exam, many years ago, I wrote a brilliant essay; I know this because my teacher told me so.
    He also said that had I actually answered the question, I might not have received an 'F' !

9. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Just too bad that the "Scottish roads" are wider than the Autobahn, and the landscape and scenery is looking rather cheap and uninspiring.

I was really looking forward to this, but the disappointment is now a fact. The Audi, on the other hand, is a nice addition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    In all my school essays I ever wrote in my school career, from elementary school to "Gymnasium", more than half my life ago now, I used to score notes of 1 or 2 (A or B), both in German and English classes. I never wrote a single off topic essay, not a single one, never - with only one exception in 13 years.

And that one exception I saved myself from writing until the very final exams in English that counted triple points, a note of 5 (E). Kind of a point landing, wasn't it. :(

It'S been a long time...

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I hit the kerb doing 50mph on the way to my driving test......that focused the mind for what was to come......
    In my Motorbike test, the guy in front kicked a cone (auto failure); I learned from his disappointment and stayed well clear of that pointy little bugger!

Err, what were we talking about? PCars 2?
    Yeah, I'm sure it'll be great after the mistakes of the first one.....

12. Mtze_h3h3

Mtze_h3h3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I haven't found a combo on the new track yet which i do not totally enjoy.
    I think Kunos put out amazing stuff there for free! the short version of highlands with the tatuus... awesome!
    driving the long version with all kind of street cars just for fun. awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Yes and no.
    I like AC, but if the AI were better, I would have a harder time deciding whether to play that or R3E.

14. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    "wider than the Autobahn" ???
    Looks like a standard 2 lane UK road to me.

Tried the 2 longest tracks yesterday, 1 with Mazda MX-5, 1 with XBow. The track was great with the Mazda, but I lacked the skills with the XBow :(
    I've got to say, I was really happy with the track.

Tonight I will try it in some mist - I bet the scenery will be spot on with a bit of Scotch-Mist!

Each to his own though, Fleskebacon. I'm glad that they make tracks that some people don't like rather than sticking to the tried and tested. I detest most street circuits - 90 degree corners should be banned!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I really like the idea, even though it didn't work for me.

16. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Best way to enjoy the Nordsschleife in Assetto Corsa is at 0800 or 0830, or 1730 or 1800, and then with light fog.

I assume this will work very well for the Highland tracks, too. Probably even heavy fog.

And try Lotus-25 racers on the shortest Highland track. I found it to be good fun, car and track match each other perfectly.

18. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    Assetto Corsa | Audi Sport quattro S1 E2 @ Highlands

19. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Scotch Mist has several meanings. I was thinking of all three, and giving the reader carte-blanche to choose whichever worked for him!
    I strive to be very precise with my use of language - except when I want to be deliberately ambiguous :D

I've never been to Scotland either - despite being able to see it from my sister's house.
    On a clear day. :)

20. Paul a.D.

Paul a.D. Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Assetto Corsa 4K vs. real F1 2017 Raikkonen onboard (1:18.634)
    Barcelona [comparison]

#cantwait for the next weekend :confused:

• Like Like x 2