Raceroom to move to Unreal Engine 4 in the future.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bakayoyo, Feb 18, 2017.

1. bakayoyo

bakayoyo Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  2. Flintenwilly

Flintenwilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    Yay

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I would love to see r3e stay like this visually, because I really really like how it looks. But on the other hand the move to UE4 seems unavoidable if you want day night transition, weather, etc. But I don't know what their actual engine is capable of. Maybe it's just a decision just to be future proof and competitive.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. zimmer86

zimmer86 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    That M6 and Mclaren looks beautiful!! bring on the new cars i say!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    It'll be a combination of everything, future proofing, maintaining competitiveness and removing the limitations of the current graphics engine (which is severely limited), fortunately, from what I understand, the physics engine will NOT (a lot of people on RD seem to miss this part) be UE4!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sdemonnz

Sdemonnz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Totally agree......the new graphics remind me of some ones scale model set for a movie - all plasticy - think the original Thunderbirds sets!

Look around most forums who talk raceroom and you'll see that the general talk about the game is how good the Sound is, and how good the FFB is and how good the physics are - those to me are a strong point of any racing game/sim - not how pretty it looks. Sure raceroom looks a bit dated by todays standards....but it works damn it! it works....

Chris

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    RaceRoom Racing Experience BMW M6.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Sounds exactly like what I expected after the RD interview with SimBin some days ago. Very reassuring. Good news this is. What is needed now is this: patience. I do not expect to see fruits of this annoucnement in RR before summer next year. The good news is that there is such a long - and longer! - lasting future.

For long time, my sentiments on AC and RR have eben equally balanced, and I said so, also my time spend in both sims was more or less equally distributed. But I have started to feel that I slide more and more towards RR. The new AI makes the decisive difference for me, AC simply has overstayed my patience now. Over two and a half years, and it still is a depressing construction site. In RR, I sit in an Audi or GTR3, embark on the Nordschleife or any other track, and am in the middle of a fight. I used to share time in both games 50:50. But since some weeks, it is almost 90:10 in favour of RR. Not even the new Highland track has brought me back, although I like it. Maybe 900 hours of hotlapping has been enough for me.

BTW, I too like, love the graphics of current RR, it really still looks stunning to me. No need to hurry that transitiuon to U4, no patience running thin on my side. Keep your time, do it well, S3. No need to hurry and miss some things due to unneeded haste.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  10. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Can't agree on that...

Sure the graphic-Engine of R3E has evolved to a very good visual standard, but that has come to an end and as some already mentioned it looks a bit dated. The engine is self developed and there are still some things missing.

The Pictures from the UE4-Enginge that are released now are just the very first adaptions of R3E-Content to the UE4. The textures that are used there are from R3E. At the moment the DoF-Effect that is shown on the UE4-Screens is to much - thats for sure. But I doubt that this will be the final result of the game - especially during gameplay...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    the unreal 4 screenshot looks indeed very much fairy tale like. Bad example I would say. But it's not the engine, it's the designer, sorry. But what we can see here are that trees are not just planes any longer. I would assume that twigs and leaves can move, are animated. Here is an great example of how the unreal engine can look like. OK, perhaps not for sims.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I agree that the current engine looks fine enough, reflections on the cars and in mirrors not withstanding. But let's face it staying on a DX9 based engine is not the way forward to remaining competitive in the years to come, and graphics are only part of it. I keep seeing the screenshots featuring heavy dof effects used as an example of how terrible things would be using the unreal engine and I just don't get it, S3 spent part of last years dev cycle implementing that very effect into the current engine, you know, the one that's supposedly fine?

I'm pumped for Unreal because heck, the thing has been linked in my mind with "pretty graphics" since the first Unreal hit back in the 90's. Not only that though I remember JFs grin during the interview with ISRTV when he discussed how certain things like day/night etc. just *worked* in Unreal. Now it didn't have to be Unreal, they could've gone the route of Studio 397 and upgraded their current engine, but this move makes a lot of sense considering Simbin will be working with the engine and there will be some studio overlap. If GTR3 bombs as a sim we'll still get a shiny new engine for Raceroom, seems like no matter what we'll come out on top. In the meantime, looking forward to that M6. Even though that steering wheel is probably the ugliest in current day motorsports, thank god you can disable them in the sim.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  13. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    yepp - that's what I'm talking about. Things that are released yet will not have much to do with the things we will see later before release.

14. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Some people, even in this thread cant differentiate from old to what will be new, the only thing that lets the current RR down is GRAPHICS, ok, we can whinge about flags or chat or damage model and the lack of, but ignoring the previous, what else is there?
    Graphics, give RR top of the line graphics and lighting that match any other game out there, what else is there that competes? Pcars, yep graphics beat RR, AMS nope, RF2 nope, nothing out there beats RR imho for feel , physics and the overall, if you then add top quality graphics. i mean, RF2 feels good, AMS feels good, iracing i dont know, PCars, looks fantastic but is such a ball ache to get to feel good.
    WTF, i was trying to make a point, im sure its there somwhere but im drunk so i dont care.

• Funny Funny x 6
  15. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it's going to be all about the graphics with UE4, sure, what we've been shown with the proof on concept screenshots look pretty to a degree but they are also unfinished, missing shadows, un-weathered textures and over-done bloom effects/ambient occlusions but, they will no doubt be addressed before release, you only have to look at the (quite frankly) miracles S3S have done with the current graphics engine to know, they won't let us down with UE4.
    What UE4 really offers us though is greater scope in other areas, a proper damage model, dynamic tracks as sessions progress (not just more grip when a session changes), dynamic lighting, HEADLIGHTS THAT ACTUALLY WORK, weather, day/night cycles, advanced physics for specific applications not associated with vehicles, wind resistance, temperatures air/surface, DX11 or (fingers crossed) DX12, multi-thread processes, mGPU (multi-GPU), advanced AI and probably much, much more.

On top of that, I doubt the ISI G-Motor physics engine will be compatible with UE4 so, it looks like something new there too, iirc it was mentioned about a "new" next-gen physics engine but, I have no idea what that could be.

Whether it be R3E or GTR3, the potential is there and I for one can't wait.

Roll on the next Dev stream so we can find out more.

• Like Like x 4
  16. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    The G Motor based physics engine currently used can't take full advantage of multicore/multithreaded CPUs.At best,it uses 4 cores for its tasks,essentially throwing away lots of processing power.In simple words,the current physics will always be limited.An UE4 engine will use more cores/threads more efficiently,allowing impoved physics implimentation.Plus DX12 takes a lot more advantage from modern GPUs than the redundant DX9.Fingers crossed the new engines get implimented properly allowing R3E to make a huge jump ahead.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  17. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Really, really looking forward to Raceroom having dynamical time of day. :grinning::grin: Been since gt6 i had some nightracing so really miss this..
    Just hope they are able to implement this towards the end of 2018. As someone said it will be something like Raceroom2 with all the other extra's the UE4 brings along.
    And i'm fully confident Sector 3 will get the graphics to look great for all, still very early to be misled by some pictures.

Thumbs up for this great news!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I am already 44 years old. Please hurry, S3...

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0

20. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    As long as the physics stays on the same level or even improve, I'm totally looking forward to an improved game engine. I understand that Sector3 / SimBim UK wants to be on par or even a step ahead to the competition graphics-wise.

Racing wise... I really don't care that much. Offcourse dynamic weather and stuff gives it more variables. But in the end... I just want a good racing experience. And that's what it gives me. Immersion from sound, FFB and even the current graphics. But if I have to choose between more/other content (V8 racing series Australia, pppppplease ;)) and improved game engine, I'm more biased to content. But hey, on the other hand... GPU's and CPU's do improve... So standing still with the current engine will never be an option for Sector3 I guess. :cool:

Looking forward to the future!:sunglasses:

• Agree Agree x 2