Sector3! Make a normal AI!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTDnipro, Mar 10, 2017.

1. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I've often wondered for 10+ years whether some Sim Racers actually watch or like real life car racing, because the vast majority of AI incidents I've seen in that time (primarily from RF1 & RF2) have either been the fault of the Human driver or a simple racing incident.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Guys, there are mistakes and there are mistakes. The AI has poor side awareness and it seems like it has problems assessing the trajectory of the car next to him. It's good the AI is more aggressive now but can we agree there is a problem and they need to work on it?

And as said before, some classes are better than others. This might explain the contradicting opinions on this matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Yes they suffer from side by side awareness at times, Yes they make mistakes just like humans from time to time.
    It's the same as being a Race Steward; you need to take into account the actual racing scenario, take into account all cars involved not just one (the AI), understand the data from all cars (not just the AI) in terms of steering input/brake/throttle. Put all that together (and more) and then you'll come up with the conclusion that it's one of:
    • AI Bug
    • Racing Incident (no blame)
    • Blame & Penalise Car A or B or C etc (i.e Real Life!)
    Like I said, many of these videos in this thread and elsewhere can be attributed to a normal Racing Incident or fault of the Human Driver. I'm by no means saying the AI is fabulous, yes it needs tweaking in certain areas - we all know that :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    ADAC Masters BMW Z4 GT3
    10 laps
    15 opponents
    90 AI

Started 6th (no qualifying). Swamped at start. dropped to 11th, fought back to 7th, dropped back to 12th.
    Only 1 incident of note when I hit another car. My bad!

I treated all AI as though they were people wanting to win as much as me.

The incident with Yatzek and the AI was just bizarre though. Online I would have put it down to lag/netcode and moved on. Or as Marc said, a sudden burst of optimism.
    But because it is AI we blame the coding.

An ill child now demands cuddles, so I am going to take the opportunity to watch real life racing while she sleeps on me.....see, always a silver lining, sometimes.

5. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Most valuable sentence today :)

6. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    This is regular for me & i could give multiple examples the same, it's no glitch or bug but un-optimised Ai imo. Its not like real motor sports incidents that such a move would be regular, sure it happens yes but its not regular & incidents are more oblique in irl or a car locks up or get lose & takes a car out, in race rooms its more direct & aggressive like above.
    Also i think at the start with larger grids cars would be less aggressive irl than they are after some laps because often at the start its as much about avoiding an incident & being careful.

7. morpwr

morpwr Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    That's what drew me to r3e in the first place. The ai was really good to race with in most cases. Until I had issues caused by not deleted the ai adaptive after a update. Totally screwed up how the ai reacted. Now with a couple hints from some here like staying in line on starts the ai is great. Trying to move offline on a start usually ends in a wreck unless you have a really clear line. Ive had some really good back and forth fights in a lot of different classes on different tracks. The only real issues I see at this point are starts and s type turns. The ai will always go for it in most cases even if there isn't room and you really had the line. So I just give them room knowing that and get them on the next turn. Not saying I never have an incident but in a lot of cases once I get over it a lot of them are because I was trying to force a move. It happens we all do it. In some cases usually on tight slow corners the ai could give a little more room especially if you have the inside line. Not that they should give up but in many cases they will drive right into you instead of following a less then ideal line. Not that its a lot different then racing against real people. Know who youre racing. The ai may not be perfect but they are really good and a lot of fun to race with.

• Like Like x 3
  8. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm.....
    Just my two cents (again.....)
    I tried running the P1s, though at Paul Ricard, and there is a problem, well two problems actually in combination.
    Not so much with the AI itself, that drives like it usually does, no more no less. Is it a touch too aggressive?
    Maybe a smidge, but that's what makes it fun to race IMO.

One thing (problem?) I discovered with the P1s though, is that there is just no room for error. At all.
    I qualified 4th with 0.047 seconds to P3, and 0.053 seconds to P5. :eek:
    And with such a small difference, any misjudgement leads to contact, especially on the first couple of laps before the grid shakes itself out.
    Now combine this with the second, much larger, problem. The collision-physics.
    They really, REALLY need some work.
    Front contact is okay(ish), but the slightest tap on your hind-quarters, and off you go.
    I realize that the cars are driving on the edge of grip (well, maybe not mine, but...) and it shouldn't take much to push it off-line.
    On the other hand, these cars aren't solid cast-iron boxes. Anything that makes contact is likely to be small, fairly brittle, carbon-fibre parts, and all cars are made with collapsible compression-zones.
    So there should be something of a give in them, instead of instantly transferring the impact like a pool-ball.
    What strikes me as a little odd is that it's mainly a problem with high downforce cars. P1s, FR2s, that sort of thing.
    TCs, GT3s and the like are much more forgiving.

Main point here is that I love the current AI, and I'd be wary of tinkering too much with it.
    Instead, I'd try adjusting the collision physics so they get a bit more forgiving.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Yatzeck

Yatzeck Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Really? Don't you see that two apex corner? How did you wat to go through that corner? You must go wide between this two apexes. That is corner no. 4 on Indianapolis GP. Here is the only one racing line. I'm driving with constant speed, AI opponent accelerate and then before second apex slows down. In the real life only rookie kamikaze drive like my artificial opponent. AI have no anticipate that two apex corner. That AI crazy move look like destruction derby. And you think that behaviour is allright? You asking me about real life, so then. In real life this AI driver must give up racing and go fishing... or go to mental doctor...
    I'm keen fan of racing from 1992, since I've ended my studies. Ramming opponent from behind I've seen more often in the chasing scenens in the movies or police videos than in the races.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  10. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I didn't have to read all the posts here. But I still wanted to throw in my 2cents:rolleyes:. I just finished a 60 minute race against the AI. And had a blast!:p In that hour, I had 4 incidents. 2 were my fault. Braking wrong. One was a racing incident. And one was a pushing and shoving match trying to get the race line. And I won:D.
    Now I'm pretty conservative in my driving style so I set the AI low. Somewhere between 90 and 108 depending on the car/track combo. This race was with the ford GT3 on silverstone. So they were set at 97.
    Swallow your pride and turn down the AI strength. You'll have a lot more fun. :p;):)

• Like Like x 2
  11. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Pastor Maldonado anyone? Yes I've seen it happen in real life, yes it was a blatant error by the human driver in the position behind and agree a stupid move...but it happens!

In racing you need to be prepared for the unexpected, getting a shunt from behind happens.

Again though for the hundredth time YES the AI still needs fixing in certain situations but for the most part it is good, it will never be nor should it ever be "perfect" as that's just not racing.

Go online In a public race, you'll see all kinds of rookie mistakes just like your video :)

12. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  13. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I have to say the AI is the best in the biz for me right now. It is a tad too aggressive in some aspects....I seem to get rear ended at times, but otherwise its tough and challenging. It's the polar opposite of AC where the cars literally jump out of your way when you approach a corner.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Yatzeck

Yatzeck Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
  15. maxx2504

maxx2504 Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Hi !

The AI is still dumb. Why ? i normally drive with AI around 103-105% and they tend to make mistakes when you are 2m behind them. And the AI behind you is pushing and try to overtake. The main problem about the AI is the "Slow when pushed" Option. That option is an old rfactor 1 setting for the tracks and im pretty sure sector 3 still use it for the AI and its definetly ON. If you would turn that off the AI would be faster, also at the beginning of the race.
    People who think the AI is good are set them to 110-115% and they do not mention those mistakes by the AI. Because they are just too fast for the AI.
    Also the AI is kicking you out when you are not on the ideal line on the track. And sometimes it cannot be prevented to leave the ideal line.
    So before you say the AI is good test lower settings please. Not everyone can drive so good to set the AI to 110-115%

German:
    Die KI ist immernoch "dumm". Warum ? Ich fahre normalwerweise mit einer Einstellung von ca. 103-105% und die KI neigt dazu immer wieder Fehler zu machen wenn man so ca. 2m hinter denen ist. Und die KI hinter einem selber pushed die ganze zeit und versucht zu überholen. Das grösste problem ist einfach diese "slow when pushed" option. Diese Option wurde schon bei rfactor 1 bei den rennstrecken benutzt und wird von Sector mit Sicherheit wieder benutzt und ist auch an. Würde man diese Funktion ausstellen, wäre die KI am Anfang des Rennens auch schneller.
    Leute die denken die KI sei gut, merken von den Fehlern wenig, da die KI bei ihnen meist zwischen 110-115% eingestellt ist. Bei diesen Werten ist die KI so schnell das solche Fehler gar nicht vorkommen.
    Die KI kickt einen auch von der Strecke wenn man mal nicht auf der Ideallinie fährt. Aber manchmal lässt sich das verlassen der Idellinie nicht verhindern...
    Also bevor ihr sagt das die KI gut wäre, testet doch einfach mal geringere Einstellungen. Nicht jeder ist gut genug für 110-115%

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Er......
    I hate to mention this, but I routinely run AI at 98-105 without any problems.......

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Same here, 97 to 103. Great battles all the time. How Many AI do you run with? If you have too many, they can get kinda forgetful.
    And you didn't hate that at all CheerfullyInsane:tonguewink:.
    By the way, Did you used to play RR2?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    100/110 depending on car/track.
    Feels the same as in my karting days (125 shifters).
    AI makes mistakes, but real people also tend to do that, even top drivers occasionally get surprised by unexpected moves from the cars around them.

19. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    The car class really makes a big difference. This is what my personal experience is:

Lev112@DTM16: Either the car in front is much too slow so I crash into it in a fast corner or I dont push so hard and get crashed by the car behind. I am flying completely off while AI doesn't even slide a bit. The first 3 laps are a matter of good/bad luck.

Lev112@FR2: Wonderful Races where I can really push. I give space to the AI and the AI gives me room to survive. Hardly any incidents where I can blame them.

In both situations I can reach Top 10 when starting from 24 in a 20 Min race. So I would say the levels are quite comparable.

20. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Oh no, I was fine with it....(he said through clenched teeth) :D :p
    As for RR2, I'd love to answer that.....Just as soon as someone tells me what's behind that acronym. :)