Please add more sound effects.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maxel, Feb 2, 2015.

1. maxel

maxel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    All sound effects in the game are absolutely brilliant but i think the game could use some more:
    For example:

-Progressive sound for tyres while drifting.(scrub sound before squealing)
    would help a lot with driving on the limit of the tyres.
    -Stones smashing against the floor in gravel pits and off track.
    -Squealing from the body or cage while driving over bumps.
    -Misfires
    -Windnoise at highspeed
    -dynamic engine sound after shifting up.
    With some cars in the game the engine sound "wobbles, oscillate" after every shift.
    (Zakspeed Capri, Audi R8 ADAC 2013 )
    And others just rev up normally. It would be cool if all cars had both variations like real race cars.
    etc...

Are there any plans for more effects?

• Like Like x 9
  2. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Some of those would be nice if more defined.
    I can tell you that there is Windnoise at highspeed. I found it most noticeable when i was watching a replay with the roof view.
    Its quite awesome. I am not sure how much of that sound we are supposed to hear in car, but my guess is not very much.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  3. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, windnoise is already present and the wind volume increases with the speed. I have nothing against adding more wind at highspeed excepted that it's unrealistic. At highspeed in a race car, what you hear the most is the engine, then roadnoise and then windnoise. Also, in real life, all the sounds come with their natural volume without interfering to each other. That's not the same in a game. Increasing the windnoise at highspeed in R3E would compress all the other sounds, especially the engine, simply because too many frequencies are shared between them, and the result would be a mess. Believe me, I tried :).
    Maybe the solution would be to add a specific volume slider for the windnoise in the menu.
    In the meantime, I would recommand you to adjust the "Effects" slider and it should help you to get more windnoise ;)

About all the other mentioned features (tire squeal/scrub, stones, body noises, backfires), they are currently WIP or soon to be worked on along with some other audio stuff and they will come as soon as they are ready.

The drivetrain elasticity (what maxel calls "engine sound wobbles, oscillate"") is currently in integration and testing phase.
    As it's real drivetrain elasticity we added to the game, it has an influence on the physics and performances, so it needs some serious testing but I can already say that it sounds absolutely amazing.
    Kudos to our programmer Robert Holm for this ;)

Be sure that the sounds will get a continuous attention and that it will probably never stop to evolve/progress in the future.
    The goal is still to reach the best immersion possible ;)

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ExiaRS

ExiaRS Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    There is wind noise and is especially strong when driving with open wheel cars like Radical SR9.

Turn off engine sound and ramp up sound effects to 100% for evidence.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. maxel

maxel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I can totally understand that decision. Engine sound has priority :D
    I remember that i turned the Soundeffects down a bit because tyre squeal or sth else was to loud for me.
    And that must be the reason i didn't hear the windnoise. I will check this out later.

Wow this is great news!! Finally a developer that does everything right with the sounds. Awesome!!

I can't believe you are really doing this. It was more on my dream for the future wishlist. o_O
    I think this Sim will be the first to ever implement this right? It is really important IMO in order to make the cars come alive.

Thanks for your answer Anthony and for your brilliant work ;)
    Also thanks to Robert Holm for making this happen.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    R3E is not the first sim to implement it, iRacing has it since 2 years now and Assetto Corsa aswell.

BTW, I think there will be a preview of the drivetrain elasticity soon. Stay tuned ;)

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  7. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    :eek:...
    *explodes to bits*

8. townnet

townnet Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Is body noises similar to "body work" what in AC call it? And please add the shifting sound effect for external view.

9. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I guess it's pretty similar.

What do you mean exactly by "shifting external sound effect"? The external upshifts and downshifts are quite loud already in R3E so maybe you're thinking about something else ?

10. townnet

townnet Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I mean replay(external view), not cockpit (internal view). Just like the video i showed, did you hear the down shift from the video?

11. maxel

maxel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I think he is talking about the misfires at the end of the video while downshifting?

12. townnet

townnet Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Yes, so that is not down shifting sound effect?

13. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    It is downshifting indeed and it sounds pretty much the same ingame. Try to use the free cam so you can hear the car downshifting from the same point of view and you'll hear it. ;)

14. townnet

townnet Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you guys should adjust it more loudly easy to noticeable?

15. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Louder is possible but it will affect the volume of all the distant backfires, which will probably sound unrealistic. I'll add some backfires on every downshifts instead (mostly on modern GT cars) so they will be more obvious ;)

• Like Like x 7
  16. townnet

townnet Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Thanks dude.

17. RNTK

RNTK New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Outstanding work thus far !, but I was curious to know if back fire sounds will be more "car specific" eventually?, as they all sound the same in each car atm. Back fires sound seem to detonate sporadically as well, or should they fire at certain times? understanding each type of car differs in how and when back fires happen.

18. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    We already have some improvements planned regarding the backfires.

I also would like to have more car specific backfires but that requires some time so it will come at some point ;)

• Like Like x 6
  19. r-r-public

r-r-public Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Anthony, am I right in thinking that you are responsible for the audio part of R3E? If so, please let me tell you that you created not one of the best, but THE BEST engine and environment sound that I have ever heard in a racing game. I am sure you must love what you are doing, because only that way it can be that good! You made many, many gamers very lucky and I am one of them.

Okay, back to topic. One of the biggest things I love about race cars is their dirty, loud downshift noise. This is music to my ears. The Z4 GT3 is a very good example. God, how many times have I watched YouTube footage showing the Z4 GT3 with it's downshift noise?! Countless times! Anthony, please feel free to add tons of that to R3E too, please! I know it's already there but for my taste it could be much more present and louder. The video posted above is a good source of what I mean. It's more the shooting that I am missing. R3E is to brave ... make it dirtier, make it louder. ;)

Regarding to this, I would like to vent something that's currently my biggest wish in case of the sound. It's still some downshift noise stuff, my target is the R8 LMS Ultra. One of my favorite cars. And I'm missing the downshift noise so much in R3E that the real car does. It's the "vromm, vromm, vromm" and you can hear it also in the cockpit. May I give you some examples?

Of course we have the "shooting" from the distance. But I mean the "vromm, vromm, ..." at 1:09. This in R3E and I am the happiest guy on earth.

Here in the cockpit at 2:15. "romm, romm, ... romm"

Anthony and Sector3. I really appreciate that you made it possible to talk directly to you and to tell you our wishes. I want to thank you. Especially for all the effort you did put in R3E so far.

Best regards
    Robert

• Like Like x 6
  20. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the nice words Robert :)

Indeed, I love my job. Since I played GTR for the first time, I dreamed to work for SimBin.
    4 years later, the dream came true and after 8 years in the studio I'm still enjoying it as if it was my first day :D

About the coasting volume (which I assume is what you're talking about), I'll test something tomorrow that should increase it from distance. I'm not 100% sure it will match your expectation but if it works as intended, it will end up in a next update.

I'm also working on the backfires and especially the downshifts backfires, trying to make them louder from distance.
    Also, in preparation of some code improvements that will come later, I'm replacing all the BF and splutter samples by some more realistic samples and I intend to implement different BF sounds for at least each class or type of cars (+ some car specific BF when possible).
    Hope this will make the gameplay and replays more enjoyable for everyone. ;)

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3