Released Flag Rules

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by KW Studios, Mar 30, 2017.

1. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    And if they don't, they too get a penalty. :kissingheart:

• Like Like x 1
  2. wozdecky

wozdecky Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Yesterday i drove a few races and I think that's step up in sim racing reality. Yes there's sometimes confusing things, but it's good direction. This will force some players to be more precise and pay more atention. Of corse there's always party breakers.
    I would like to see staff to waving with flag on the track side and checked flag at the end. It will be awesome.
    Keep goin' R3E.

• Like Like x 1
  3. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Macau hairpin is a constant yellow-no overtake zone.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. GidrogeN

GidrogeN New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    For what game could add to the player 90 sec. penalty after the race? He is finished the race in a 4th position (M. Stevanovich in the screenshot below):
    2017-04-07 20-10-01.mp4_snapshot_01.19.35_[2017.04.08_00.48.03].jpg

5. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Most likely... that player cut the track somewhere and got a drive through penalty, but didnt serve the penalty.

Or, the server had mandatory pit stops but this player did not make a pit stop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. sbXII

sbXII Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The flag system is nice, but why you don't give us the choice about flag warnings w/ or w/o penalties?
    That would make it much easier for us in multiplayer.

7. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    What is the point of flags without penalties. No penalties = ignore flags.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Actually flags can help (yellow flag before a turn so you can reduce speed, blue flag to easy identify a faster car) but are not perfect, there are some minor bugs that can ruin your efforts to do a good race. So removing penalties and keeping flags has some meaning. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I doubt you can make an algorithm that will recognize all trolls on multiplayer races. Option to disable penalties would be perfect for public servers or leagues that want to handle them manually.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. sbXII

sbXII Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    That's right. E.g. if you drive in a league with fair members, then the flags makes racing more easier. There you don't need penalties and especially if the system doesn't run dependable.

11. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    I agree that some people would react to flags appropriately. But overall I have far less faith in human nature. Call me cynical.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I agree with @Paul Darke here. Without penalties, the whole flag system is rather pointless.

Even in a league with respectful members and run like a well oiled machine, people still speed through areas with crashes, dont slow down for wrecks, ignore blue flags, etc.

And without penalties... I can already see a crash up ahead, I dont need a yellow flag to notify me. I already know when Im being lapped, I dont need a flag to notify me.

The flag system is supposed to make this process happen more smoothly. If you see a blue flag, you must yield or face a penalty for blocking. If you see a yellow flag designating a crash on track, you must slow down, take caution, and not pass anyone.

I will be the first to acknowledge the flag system needs improvements and these improvements will come in due time when more info on how to take into account different scenarios that currently arent being taken into consideration, but tossing out penalties isnt the way to go imo.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Well, S3S guys also don't seem to have too much faith, because they disabled blue flag penalty after less than 24h after introducing it. Trolls were exploiting imperfections of blue flag and they will ones of yellow. That's just how public multiplayer, especially on free content looks like. Hopefully we're not long before ranked system, where those kind of people will be filtered out.

Maybe leave Complete Flags as it is right now and turn Simple Rules into "notify only".

Macau or Bathurst are perfect examples, where quite often, you woun't be able to react to pile-up ahead.

I guess you've never participated in long race with big grid, where after some time it's hard to tell whether you're being lapped, you're lapping or you're fighting for position.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. sbXII

sbXII Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    We are only talking about to add an option for those who can deal with it to drive w/o penalties. I think that's not a game breaker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    On Nordschleife and some other tracks, crashes can happen outside your visibility. Flags don't exist only to punish pilots, but first to give an information.
    It's actually possible to disable cut penalties, so why not flag ones?

I want flags and penalties, but actually they need some fixes and tweaking.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Now that we have a cut track warning in the flag system is there away or can you turn of the big yellow and white message bar that comes across the screen for the same reason?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    This. Let the server host decide if penalties are active or not, that way people doing a serious club/league race where people generally aren't trolls can have the full effect of the flag system, but people running public servers can turn off the penalties so trolling doesn't happen.

18. Dominik

Dominik New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately, I had lately to see the downsides of the new flag rules which I generally really like. I was in a multiplayer race at Hockenheim and chased the leader. He was a bit slower than me and we had a great close race. A troll decided to park his car on the finish line sideways so that his car was a new obstacle.

This lead to a returning yellow phase each lap on the start / finish part. The leader then decided to slow unexpectadly down in this area and let me pass in the hope that I get disqualified if I won't yield the place. Of course I did and he passed again (he had not all time of the world because the others were closing in).

To fix this, if someone causes constand yellow in the same area without any pause, he should be disqualified and removed after a give time period.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Oreos

Oreos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Still getting penalties for passing under yellows despite it being a massive storm of spinning cars everywhere, either I stop and cause more accidents or I just keep going, then I can't give a place back because people behind me are trying to give a place back too resulting in another accident.

Just had the messiest Zandvoort race ever.

20. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Video replay would likely help diagnose the specific cause of the issues and help with correcting them :)

Descriptions on forums never seem all that accurate to take into account what is actually going on in the logic of the code. So sometimes something entirely separate is the cause of the issue :)

• Agree Agree x 1