The Project CARS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ::SKRO::, May 7, 2015.

1. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Refrain from useless bashing or fanboyism. This thread would be solely for the purpose of commenting the game in a civil manner and not for flaming or go after people's throats.
    So, again, just opinions on the game please.

So I have been playing a few hours yesterday night SMS game and I found it... Nice.
    I jumped immediately in a few of the insane amount of cars and tracks R3E has cause I wanted to test/taste the difference with R3E.
    BMW GR.A and Zak at Zolder: decent feeling and very similar but less lively compared to R3E.
    M1 at Nurburgring: not liked it that much cause it was very grippy and super planted.
    I also had tough time making them spin. It's very difficult not to maintain control of these cars, which are well known for being happy tailing.
    Sound was decent but again no Sim atm get close to R3E purity. I found it a bit messy when you are among other cars (when you are waiting for the greenlight you just hear other's cars engines roaring and you can't distinguish yours) and with collisions where the sound fx "looks" damped.
    Tracks I've seen so far:
    Donington: I liked better gtr2 version!
    Nurburgring: good
    Zolder: good
    Overall they are ok but I much, MUCH prefer R3E's quality. You can see there is a real passion behind each track while here is the Quantity that is stunning!
    The feature I liked the most was the dedi server and the way you can customize your stuff. Variable weather is a blast and you can really organize very interesting races with this tool. Absolutely awesome.
    Sense of speed is decent and it comes very close to R3E's.
    The AI.. The AI was fun! I tested it on Donington and they never, NEVER, rammed me or wrecked me! They made mistakes and they were trying to overtake each other. It has been a very nice surprise!
    Now the FFB (although I didn't tweak anything cause I didn't want to spend the entire night moving sliders) felt a bit weak. Connection to the road was a bit too soft and the wheel was overall just too light. I'll try to do something with it later tonight to see what/how can be done.
    Graphically speaking there's no much to say: car quality, dynamic weather and other eye candy effects are absurdly great!
    The game itself is good. It's less then R3E but it has lots and lots of features that will keep you entertained for a while... Till these bloody dedi servers are available for us to play with!
    Grrrr

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  2. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Guess thats what the Team (it is the other Ex-Simbin branch around Ian Bell, isn`t it ?) wanted to achieve long time . A Racegame that can compete with with more arcadish-eye-candy-overkill mainstream titles, but has still the quality of a Sim, which is what probably brings most customers and a lot of money on the table - specially those who are fast to consider anything non-mainstream as "underrated" or as too heavy to drive crap. After I'd bought AC out of a mood (while it actually rots on my HD cause after 10 hrs playing I lost all interest in AC) I learned that I don`t need to own any "awesome" Sim that is propagated on the market as a "must- have". Eventually I just waste my time while I still haven`t played out the full potential of R3E ! I also love the purism R3E offers - no lametta, no confetti just some raw beasts & brilliant tracks to tame......Saw P-Cars on promovids so far....looks really good just don`t feel attracted...guess I belong to the wrong consumers group who doesn`t just fall for a nice metal shiny A**.....(like Bender`s)...:)

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    I've tried it for about 2 hours yesterday and it's got some interesting things.
    Like:
    -Graphics: Very nice, runs super smooth, very high FPS!
    -Helmet cam...in some cars.
    -Open wheel!
    -Loading times

Dislike:
    -Sounds: some are too much generic/arcade-ish. Major turnoff compared to R3E! So far the only car that was not that too distant is the SLS AMG GT3
    -Grip: most cars have a divine force applied to them as if Yoda was there to assist!

More later, off to work!

*edit* As much as I dislike the sheer understeer of driving in the gravel because I was way too fast in a corner (my fault, tough luck ;) ) It's the total opposite in PCars, same for grass...way too much grip!

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  4. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Based on everything i have read, it doesnt seem to get my attention. Imo it seems r3e and AC are superior in every way, except for weatherdynamics :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I prefer the way r3e looks tbh. Pcars has more bells and whistles but r3e graphics are crisper and cleaner. The sound in r3e is also tons better and pcars handling is a bit too forgiving, IMO.

Pcars works well online and I like the selection of tracks and cars, but the feel and fun of r3e is still better

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    The biggist problem i have with Pcars is - how it Performs on AMD-cards... its just a shame that even a rather old Geforce 660Ti is faster than the Radeon R290X in that game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ::SKRO::

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    I agree, even with almost everything set to High and some Ultra here and there the fps are quite high (less then 60 tho)

(Geforce 760GT 2GB)

8. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    R3E and AC still are the twin peaks of the genre. PC seems to suffer from plenty of technical issues, and by quite some people now has been described as Shift 3, which is not really a compliment, but hints at a blender.

And pretendedracecars has currently the "Community assisted review of Project Cars", which sheds some light on the background of PC, which also is not really a compliment:

http://pretendracecars.com/

After that entry, a nice real racedriver feedback on AC, btw, praising the superior physics.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Will there be a demo/trial at some point? I'm not willing to drop money on this without trying it first. It doesn't sound like the sim for me to be honest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ::SKRO::

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    I think you should wait James for some kind of "open house". I haven't fiddled yet with the ffb as stated above but I've just heard a bunch of people LOUDLY complaining about the lack of informations transmitted on the wheel... :/
    Dammit we went to the moon we can't make a wheel vibrate the proper way!!!

11. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    Greetings!

In my opinion, R3E much more better than PC and AC!
    I like everything about the game except few things!

Firstly, R3E should be more popular among the sim racers and fans worldwide, because game has very sad online population!
    The good crowd in lobbies of multiplayer is only from 20:00 till 01:00 GMT +2 each day... That's not enough for such great game!
    In the morning and during the day number of people online totally disappoints me and makes me grumpy!
    There should be the ways to increase that number!

Secondly, I want some weather effects like wet track and different types of rain. It doesn't need to be hardcore detailed like in PC, I like the level of weather effects same as in Race 07. New Direct X technology process allow you to make it even better!

Third point of dissatisfaction is damage system and tire, fuel consumption... For example, you race for 20 min on G5 car that probably destroys rear tires as hell in real life and in the end of the race you lost like 3 or 4 percent on each wheel, it's silly... Same with fuel, the consumption is unreal.. Too many liters left in the tank after 15-20 min races. And of course the damage, I am not talking about detailed destruction, I am about that cars are pretty indestructible at all. There where some races when dude knocks me out of the track into the wall and my engine with gearbox are broken, but I am evidencing more unreal situations after which ones I can easily race on. Cars in R3E should be more fragile. That would be more realistic!

By all other criteria, RaceRoom rapes PC and AC like a lion rapes the rabbit in the closed cell!

Graphics, Sounds, Force Feedback on my old Logitech MOMO is so strong that I have pumped up muscles of my arms strongly in few weeks of play! In PC and AC I don't feel the car and track at all and this is very sad for simracing game... They are more arcade than simulator...

Resume for R3E: increase multiplayer population, add some wet on the track and damage, tire, fuel!

The perfect way to increase the population of online would be some points system with rewards such as exclusive liveries affordable only for earned points during online races. So people who bought there content for money won't be disappointed by earlier expenditures.

Same with cars and tracks.

Every future car or track should have the possibility to be earned by playing online not only for dollars.

Something like that.
    I have plenty of ideas in my head about how to increase the number of online racers!

Cheers!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  12. ::SKRO::

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    It seems that there has been a mass exodus... I'm so curious to see what'll happen next!
    :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Just a heads up regarding AMD ....a mate of mine has just told me his rig is fine, runs 60fps No problems.

"No performance issues whatsoever, Im running a steady 60fps (fx 8320, r9 280 3gb, 8gb ram) with nearly everything turned up/on"

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Maybe temporary as people flock to PCars to see how good or bad it is. :)
    What makes me sad is that the games that are flagged as "realistic" and offer gorgeous graphics and locations tend to have 10x more customers than the hardcore sim such as R3E.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I've got it and have played about 5 hours or so today and have had a very different experience with the AI than you had SKRO. The AI in this game to me is the worst in any racing game I've ever played and that includes my worst game of all time Nascar Racing 2014. They're far too aggressive. In every single race I've ran no matter what AI strength I ran, there was a huge pileup in the first corner and I've never seen so many cars flipping and so many wrecks from start to finish. They're the exact opposite of AC where the AI rarely ever challenges you. I did enjoy running laps on each of the tracks and love the track and car selections (short of no red italian cars), but no SP races or Career for me till this awful AI is fixed. This came up in the Simbin thread but I just cannot comprehend how games that are coming out now (with R3E and GSCE being the sole exceptions) can have such piss poor AI when compared to games that came out long ago (NR2003, GTR, Race07.etc).

16. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Okay so I have just tried out Pcars a little bit.
    And it don't feel as good as R3E, my first impression is actually a bit disappointed..
    But a bit early to judge just yet, maybe need a bit more tweaking.

However, R3E also have a good track list (even better ahead) and a great variety of car classes / series with many brands.
    Along with awesome sound, good feel to it and a decent AI.

But there is things that hurts me not to see implemented yet, and that is core features!
    Please S3S, I know your working hard, but you need to step up and get these core things in the game.

False starts
    Full flag rules
    Fuel use
    Mandatory pit stops

And please work on getting a more in depth damage model, with engine blowouts, over heating, stalling, flat tires etc, etc.

This sim has the potential of being the greatest ever, but missing some big aspects before it can claim that title!
    And I'm so hoping it will!!

• Agree Agree x 13
  17. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Well, R3E's business model does not really help to increase its popularity, to be honest. Other games that in themselves are good but offer pay-per-item models, take Flak as well. By experience I could list The Hunter, for example.

And R3E does not compare to iR, due to iR's unique target audience and focus on delivering a MODERATED online experience in form of a time-based subscription.

Personally I would not go with a model like Sector3 uses, if i were a developer or publisher. But of course its their choice and decision, I am not them, and I do not know their money numbers. If it pays off for them, then it pays off for them. But their popularity will remain to be limited with that business model. Add to this the fact that there cannot be a modding community for R3E, and you have another problem with this business model. Its not a problem for me, and I see the possible advantages in limiting moddability, too, its not all bad but can also enforce an unbreakable minimum quality standards - in Condor and SBP I would at no cost have unlimited moddability options, it could only lead to corrupting platform quality in these sims, and to messing up game balance. But I believe to know that people of my thinking are a minority only. Most players prefer moddability.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
  18. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I've been playing PCARS development builds for years and I'm not sure I've touched it since the GT Masters 2013 pack came out for R3E. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel as immersed in it so I can do a few races and then quit, but don't get addicted to it in the same way. I'll install it again and try it out but I don't know how much it will have been improved.

My issue with it is with how much its scope has widened to include karts, open wheelers, street cars etc, and trying to fit them all to the same AI model and has become a jack of all trades. R3E feels focused and I for one hope it stays upon, and perfects, this focus.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
  19. ::SKRO::

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    I agree @GroovyMotion , but I just feel a bit dazzled by those numbers while our small community gets these instead...
    [​IMG]
    And it makes my eyes bleeding cause THIS Sim has all the cards to get as popular as them! And not just a temporary interest but a very solid and stable one.
    But something has to be done... adding those missing features: dedi, flags, rules and garage is a must and it should take TOP priority in the schedule so people can organize leagues and club races and so forth.
    We're proceeding at a very slow pace and it's the major cause of peeps losing interest in a WIP game especially when there is an abrupt interruption in communications. Without a "Hey guys this is what's going on", we're even more lost in the limbo of "what's next".
    Sound revamp? That's awesome but... honestly... the current sound engine is ASS-KICKING already so... instead of that... why not focusing on the mentioned and highly requested features?
    And what bothers me the most... is that on top of this frustration, I've even to take my word back on the ffb. While I've strongly defended it since the day I put my hands on R3E, I can't but say after re-installing AC to test my shifter, cause it was acting funny, that I think that's the main cause of people looking other side when they try it for the first time. It's decent but it's not enough. In a sense there's more detail in Race 07, gtr2 and gtr evo. If those title have been played like crazy, I'd prefer then a step back versus having something that keep pushing people away saying: "FFB is floaty, connection to the road is barely perceivable andb blah blah blah".
    It's not a thing that can be ignored or overlooked cause those numbers speak louder than words. It's necessary for the success of this game to face what are its weak points and re-write them if necessary.
    We're in Early Access or Beta or whatever it's called: we have time to do it the proper way.

• Agree Agree x 10
  20. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Although I like the business model they have for R3E(its getting a bit too content crazy and I wonder how much I will keep having to dish out?) it is clear it is not currently working for getting a community together.

Is it because the game is not complete or because the model does not work for this genre...or any?

Therefore I think they should create some game packages for people to buy. I don't know how or what those should be, but it might be an avenue to look at.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1