The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    They are teasing the feature content of the upcoming update 1.14, to be released on May 18th.

Added wind algorithm
    Added AI Aggression selection
    More AI differences within a single lap to generate more battles
    Added AI wing setup variations
    New AI algorithms for understeer detection and downshifting
    Improved Downshift Protection
    Updated Steam statistic reader to synchronize steam achievement

WIND...?
    AI AGRESSION SLIDER...??
    More AI VARIATION...???

:) :D

Plus the cars:

Audi R8 LMS 2016
    Audi R18 e-tron Quattro
    Audi TT Cup 2016
    Audi TT RS (VLN)
    Lotus 3-Eleven
    Maserati MC12 GT1
    McLaren 570S
    McLaren P1 GTR
    Toyota Celica ST185 Turbo
    Toyota TS040 Hybrid

2. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 2
  3. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Haven't launched AC since R3E got VR, so thought I give the new DLC a go.
    And the first thing that put me off was that I now, after VR in R3E, noticed that the scale in AC is wrong for me. Making me feel disconnected and a lot less immersed, and not that enjoyable.

Tried the Toyota Celica ST185 Turbo for a quarter of a lap around Nordschleife.. Meh.. .
    And a couple of laps around Red bull ring in the Audi R8 LMS 2016, but meh here too.. . Like the R3E version better! :p
    The only thing AC has is that it's possible to run AC with higher graphics setting and more supersampling without crashing the system, making it a bit crisper / clearer in VR compared to Raceroom.
    But on every other aspect, Raceroom winns hands down!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Well, Raceroom is still lacking some JDM dorito content and a mountain-pass road with some juicy hairpins to go sideways around. So there is that. :p

I just realised, I done a full circle. I started with Assetto tearing tires on the drift track, then moved to civilised racing in almost every other sim out there learning the craft and now I am back to square one on Akina in the Supra and I am enjoying the hell out of it. :(

5. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Tested the cars @ Silverstone. Then got in R3E and gave the TT Cup 2016 and TT RS a spin @ Silverstone. It's just... That bit different. The feel and handling of R3E's versions is just more convincing to me. And the wonky real world TT Cup car grinding shift noise is missing in AC.

But tbh... It's also a bit knitpicking. On their own they are a great set of cars for AC. Good value for money. And the LMP1's are so very cool, and the P1 GTR... What a beast.

6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    TBH, I find the two Audi TTs quite similar to each other. Usually, shared cars in both titles feel VERY differently - when I jumped into the two Audis, I immediately was strongly reminded of how these cars drive - at leats by me :) - in Raceroom. If you know the one version, you will recognise the car in the toher game as well. And I think: easily.

But the more important, if not the most important news is that AC's AI finally, FINALLY, seems to have left the valley of tears behind.

This cannot be overestimated enough. So fra I have seen it only in race practice sessions, not in races, but from that practice sessions and from some videos I also saw this evening, the AI has made dramatic steps forward. I will not assess here whether it catches up with Raceroom'S AI or not, I have not seen enough of it so far, but what I have seen, really was a dramatic improvement so far. I even saw two AI cars fighting hard and spinnign each other out, while seeing two and three other cars rubbing doors while going through turns. Michael Hornbuckle showed a video of a similar event, just that it were three cars ending in the sand. Finally the perfect AI is not so perfect anymore!

The only really big weak spot in AC's feature lineup - is no more. This is a great day in AC's biography. And it has been a damn long wait.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  7. Lino Carreira

Lino Carreira Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Then perhaps you should have looked further, theres a VR APP that by changing the eye distance affects world scale. And in what does RaceRoom beat AC hands down ? just pure curiosity.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    The FFB, handling and feeling of the cars
    Sound!
    AI!
    The immersion of the races
    Track list (Mods don't count, and most mods aren't that great)
    Car list (I'm in favor of real race cars and series)
    The UI
    = Every other aspect, imo. :)

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    This update was a huge improvement. The AI is very good now and the graphics and car list is pretty solid now. After updating my ffb settings it's very close for me vs r3e.

If r3e could improve vr performance they might pull away. But it's close for me.

10. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I bought the pack. I love the two Prototypes (Audi and Toyota), the Audi GT3, amd the Maserati. I don't care for either of the McClarens, the Lotus, the Celica, and the Audi TT Cup and TTRS both make me feel like I'm the skipper of a boat. The R3E versions are much better IMO. The AI is much improved and I had a blast in the 3 or 4 races I ran.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lino Carreira

Lino Carreira Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ok funny how different people see different things :)

12. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Only had two short races with it yesterday but it seems like a great update. As a predominantly single player racer it's great to see that aspect of AC get a bit love.

The UI is better in R3E? Whaaaaat? Now granted I run both sims with a rather minimal UI setup but all sims should look to AC and it's app system and UI customization. Unless we're talking about the launcher because ya, that's pretty bad.

2017 really is a kickass year for simracing, so much good stuff coming from all the studios I really hope the better half gets rich so I can become a stay at home racer. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I think they done a excellent job of the Audi R18 e-tron Quattro especially the interior/engine sounds awesome, you can really hear the hybrid system working, and the lovely touch of the diesel rattle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I guess Heppsan meant the UI aka Menues and not the HUD while driving. The Menus in AC are horrible... But yeah - the HUD is great in AC. Maybe a bit to much for racing but fully customizable.

Indeed - different tastes and so on. But especially in Sound and Immersion of Races, there is not much room for discussions. In both Raceroom is (at the moment) far ahead.
    FFB and Car-Handling is really a matter of taste I think. Especially the new cars in both AC and R3E are pretty close as @Skybird wrote, too.
    Car-List - well, there are pro's and con's on both sides. AC definitely has some nice brands that are missing Raceroom.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, meant the menu.
    The in game app in AC is actually really good, and just remember one more thing that is missing in R3E, and that is the option to tilt the view.

16. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    You might be overlooking proper triple screen support...oh wait...you are using VR... :p

Btw, AI is a bit better now, but even with aggression slider at 100% still not a real match.

17. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    After having practice-testdriven the cars yesterday, today I have done races. The AI is really damn good, one has to play a bit with skill level, range and aggression, maybe also need to have typical different settings for the different car classes - but Stefano finally nailed it. He NAILED it. From my point of view and my skill level, the AI at 92, range 3, aggression 80, the AI is very, very pleasurable now. It no longer shows divine perfection, it fights, it acts with fangs and claws, it dives into an opporutnity ahead, but avoids the player if physically possible, and the AI fights other AI cars nicley, overtakes, sometimes there are contacts, and cars end in the sand, but it is no blind, headless crashing orgy, it just is - legal street-fighting. They call it racing. I have had so many situaitons were we went through corners 2 and 3 wide that i stopped caring for it.

The AI in both sims still feels different, and probably always will be different, but I cannot say that I ike the one still better than the other. Its like with the physics engines. They feel different, they are different, the driving is not the same - but I enjoy both.

Before, Raceroom had a huge lead in AI over AC. I now see it as a tie.

Chapeau, Stefano! This improvement makes this 14th update maybe the most important one that there so far has been.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I managed to play a few hours, checked out all the new stuff, tested some old stuff. So here is my opinion, for whatever that matters.

Comparing this AI to something like Raceroom or Automobilista is a joke. Stefano may have nailed it, but it's hardly thrilling racing. Just more of the same with a little bit of variation. I started off with Skybird's settings and then played around that and tested out the extremes. And you know what? We are back to the exact place we were before the previous AI overhaul. So yeah, they can overtake. Good job! Kunos managed to program a feature into the AI which I sort of remember being in the original Need for Speed. Apart from the bots still tend to bunch up after the player and won't overtake unless you go quite slow (I mean race pace slow, so I guess that is good). They also sort of try to act like they are fighting for position, but in about 10 race I have seen little effect to that effort. I guess we could all agree that this is great and all, clap our hands and congratulate Stefano, however, there is a huge BUT here. All is pretty much fine and dandy, unless you try them older vehicles. And if you are like me, and find the new Audis boring pieces of modern crap, you probably feel like jumping into... I don't know... the Ford GT? Yeah, good luck with that!

I set up a race with GTs and 917 on Monza. What a cluster<beeep>! Five times in a row the first corner ended up in a huge pile-up. And you know what that means... 99% CPU usage! The game slows to a crawl, with occasional speed ups and slowdowns until you clear the crash area. The sixth time I went super slow on the straight and into that corner... and so did the AI. No crash! Huh? So they adapt to your tempo but can't follow through and survive cornering? I did not dare to try the Lotus 49 or 98T.

So yeah, when you drive modern cars, all is fine and dandy, just like in the vid Aris put up. The trouble is... It's such a damn bore!

Let's also say a few words about the cars, cause this is a prime example of the way Kunos do their vehicles. Literally all of them are noobsausage rides. The Audi TT can't hold a candle to the one in Raceroom. FFB is weak and you can hardly feel anything sensational. Basically a forgiving car on rails. The R8 GT3 is pretty much the same deal. But the biggest disappointment was the Toyota... If this is a rally car, I am the Prime Minister of Kuba! Good luck trying to get that crate sideways! Understeer is through the roof! Initially I thought it's the usual Kunos console pad driver friendly setup. But after spending 30 minutes trying out different suspension settings I got bored and gave up. If you want to do point to point time attacks in Assetto, get yourself some mods or even modded physics packs for official cars (it's not allowed by Kunos, but it's all the drifting community uses and for a good reason called understeer). Call me crazy, but there is something completely wrong when it comes to sliding in Assetto. Unless you get the cars into a 4-wheel drift (and you will need to tune those god-awful setups significantly), you will be fighting tons of understeer around the middle of the corner. It all seems ok on tight hairpins that you navigate with a handbrake and powering-over, but the minute you try to do a breaking slide into a sweeper, you are in for an unpleasant surprise. It's kind of funny, cause I still remember the early access days, when this stuff did not happen. It may just be me, not a really experienced driver and a beginner drifter (think: I can do it, but it ain't art), but everything feel right in something like rFactor 2. So take this with a grain of salt, but something is sketchy here.

Hell, I might be wrong, but try something like the 911 RSR mod for AMS and compare that to the official Kunos ride, and the difference is poking you in the face each time you move the wheel. So maybe I am wrong, but the AMS mod is definitely more fun. The Toyota though is garbage. And this pisses me off, because I bought the pack solely for this car.

As far as the rest goes... Let me quote Heppsan on where AC is inferior to Raceroom:

To sum up, EVERYTHING that matters!

I just did a 10 lap race on Bathurst in a Group 5 Vette, it wasn't pretty, a few AI wrecked and my car was pretty banged up, but I'll sooner have a cactus grow on my palm then feel this sort of adrenaline rush playing Assetto.

19. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Being an Audi fan I had to buy this, overall it was a really nice update but the Audi TT Cup car was a bit of a let down for me.
    Interior model was great, sound was good by AC standards but missing that extra depth that Raceroom has not to mention theres no undercarriage sound when you go off track or line and pick up debris?
    I am no physics or ffb expert but a few things stood out to me.
    In a fwd drive car once you ve lost traction in a turn your wheel will go light and you'll just keep going straight until you lift off and regain grip.
    I found in the AC TT Cup car when pushing in a turn the tire squeal would build till i thought i had lost grip and was understeering as the wheel would go real light but the more I turned the wheel while increasing the throttle I was surprised to find that the car just kept turning which to me is unrealistic or the ffb detail is off?
    The few times i was able to break the car loose and spin the rear around it felt like it was pivoting from the center of the car like a bottle spinning on its side lol
    I also found the ffb to be very vague and dull with little to no squirming of the rear end under heavy braking which made the car feel very easy to drive.
    Very difficult to feel the peak of grip before starting to slide as the wheel felt like you were sliding after turn in and never really changes till your on a straight line.
    Lastly why did they take a spec race car that has min tuning available in rl (reason why it makes for such close racing) and make it fully tuneable with multiple tire compounds? They only use one compound and a rain tire in the real series?
    Asides from the TT Cup car I enjoyed the update :)

20. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Apart from liking old race cars as well as modern ones (and driving an Audi TT myself) I'm with @mmaruda on this.
    I tried several races with different cars and AI is still nowhere. Yes they swirl around a bit, knock themselves out, but if you respect their race line, they are very easy to pass, even without a scratch when working your way through the field from last position to first in one or two laps. Still crap...
    About the cars: visually they all are fine, even more than that, especially in cockpit view.
    The drive...meh.
    FFB...meh.
    The TT does not feel like a FWD car at all (and while mine is no cup car, it is FWD, so I know how they feel).
    The Maserati ... meh.
    The Corolla feels like a simple road car, nothing like the rally monster it is supposed to be, huge disappointment.
    The two LMP's are not very good either, though better than most of the DLC. Must add that the interior sound of the Audi is rather good. Together with the Porsche and Toyota, AC has at least the complete LMP1 field present.
    The R8 LMS 2016: nothing sensational at all.
    McLarens are OK to Kunos standard I guess.

I do like the Lotus 3-eleven though, which is IMO the best car of the pack and rather fun to drive.

But again, hotlapping gets boring after a while and racing in AC is a bit pointless...so no... I don't really enjoy the DLC.

About the update: the nationality flags are nice.
    The wind algorithm: disappointed ... tried all the settings on the multiplier and directions while driving the Abarth AC (it would be very sensitive to wind) on several original (and other) Kunos tracks...I could not feel anything at all... meh...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: May 20, 2017