Released Formula RaceRoom X-17

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, May 15, 2017.

1. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Good old Home Computing era. But later on it was still exiting. I remember the day I bought Geoff Crammond Grand Prix 2. In my memories a beautiful box with a pretty darn hefty booklett even for those days. Nowadays I can't even remember when I pressed that buy button in Steam or Windows Store... :fearscream:

Just a whole other era of different experience, it's just not the same as when I was 15 and had to save up money for a couple of months to buy GP2.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    For this, R3E needs a new 3d driver model with an open helmet like this:
    [​IMG]
    3d vintage race driver model

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Reporting from my brandnew Fanatec setup... :D

The new F-X-17 again makes a difference to the other open wheelers there are in RR. And it is more poisonous than even the F-US.

The steering feels surprisingly light, but the FFB creates some very rocky feedback. This caught my attention immediately, and I found it a bit weired. The car feels incredibly light indeed. Acceleration and speed are insane. "Dance light a butterfly, sting like a bee" came to my mind. One needs very good reflexes and a sensitive braking foot, the wheels lock very easily.

And the sound - there already were good-sounding open-wheelers in RR before, but this one tops them all and is probably the best Formula-1-kind of sound I have ever heard in any simulation. The sound magican has outperformed himself on this one. Excellent! Benchmark status! Outstanding! I tip my hat!

By looks, the car also is stunning. I like it. It looks like it really should look.

I just do not like to drive it, and that is for two reasons.

First, like already in the - tamer - F-US, things happen a bit too fast for my taste, and I am not good at really controlling this thing, especially near AI cars. I brake too hard, lock the wheels, brake too early, and the steering also makes it easy to overdo any movement on the wheel. I do not like in sims if cars have such light controls.

Second, the AI hates to handle this car as well when being near to me, too. I may not perform optimal perfect braking and steering, and any AI car sitting in my neck more or less unavoidably slams into my rear, for things happen so fast that there simply is no time to react, to brake, to evade - not even for the AI. I tried at Spa, and practically every car that was approaching me from behind, shot into me when the next turn came and it did not manage to overtake me on the straight before that turn began. Wreckfest. The superfast reacitons these cars need, bring the aI to its limits, and beyond. And if there are two cars, and the car in lead is not manouvering perfectly, then nasty stuff happens most of the time.

For SP, I must avoid this car therefore.I think this car will serve best in MP - on non-public servers with selected members.

To me, the best open wheelers in RR, remain to be F-R2 (which to me was love on first sight), which is a bit tamer, more predictable for the AI, and gives me a more solid, massive- material feeling via the steering wheel), and F-J.

I recognize the work and splendid result of that effort, and I do not say it is a bad car. It is a good one, and has outstanding sounds and looks. But its not for me and probably also ot so well-suited for the AI in SP.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  4. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,507 / 0 / -0
    You will find that the ffb becomes increasingly stronger with higher corner speeds as the car builds up downforce.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    And gets more grip.
    I understand the theory, but the practical application scares the bejeebers out of me!

Problem: Understeer in corner.
    Solution: Go faster.

??? Brain it say no.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I noticed that. Still, compared to the other open wheelers, it is relatively light. Not to mention some completely other car classes there are. This F-X17 feels even more lose than the F-US.

Do not get me wrong, I did not say that as a point of criticsm. I understand it to be your design decision to be like that, intentionally. I only say that I like cars in sims better that provide me a more "voluminous", massive feel of moving some real material weight. So, it more is about taste than anything else.

F-R2 for me! ;)

7. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Yes. Its counter-intuitive. Like a car with strong tenedenmcy to understeer may need to drift/slide through a turn in order to get through it fast: the car loses grip, driver - human as well as AI !! - wants to regain grip by becoming slower and so giving up on the gas, and the car becomes even slower: the right thing would be to press the gas pedal, not to release it.

Now code that into an AI! Tell that a new human driver! :) Its the reason why in some cars in some turns on some tracks AIs in various sims are so incredibly slow and make human drivers pull their hairs.

8. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    This is the Fx17

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

I don't think he's listening.

10. TDIdriving

TDIdriving Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hello Skybird,

driving with ts pc racer and the ffb is phenomenal, try some settings with your new wheel (i need 2 weeks before i get used to the ts pc racer almost), also like about new cars, you need some time to get used to it. Also try it without TC thats a lot better.
    Thanks sector 3, great car, great sound, my neighbour hates me now, he says "whats going on there, this is *****loud :)

By, nice evening

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  11. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Just imagine you are driving Assetto Corsa with this car. All of the TC levels in that game are backwards too :D

12. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    If they're all like that, there's no problem. :)

13. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    This car with a direct drive, motion and simwind in VR is INSANE :D

Can't keep up with the AI though and i will probably have to lower the AI level quite a bit compared to the other classes.

Enabling spit shadows fixed the floating blob me. Thx mr_belowski

• Like Like x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  14. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Yeah - me too.
    For the last month or so I have been competing at the front in most cars on Get Real / AI=105. My lap times in the X-17 have stabilised at 2 seconds off the pace at this setting. Ouch. :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  15. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Yep, the FRX-17 is really tough to be fast in. Dont let that deter you though. The more practice you get in with it, the more comfortable you will be when you really push hard.

The nice thing about this car is you can really go fast into corners and trust that the downforce will keep you on the road.

If you feel like your pace is suffering a bit, play around with the car setup. In my opinion, this is probably the most sensitive car in raceroom regarding setup tweaks. You absolutely need to adjust the wing settings depending on the type of track you are driving on to actually be fast with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Nate - and don't worry I am not and will not be deterred!! I love this car!
    I'm racing at Silverstone and my problem isn't the fast corners - they are a blast.
    My skill deficit manifests itself in exit speed from the slower corners - Luffield, Stowe and Club - I can't seem to get on the gas as quickly as the AI and they pull away from me.
    I'm running the default set up but with TC at 25% (0% was too hard but remains my goal).
    I'll keep working at it - perhaps I can carry more speed into and out of the slower corners than I think I can - if you know what I mean.

17. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Really good car. Thumbup

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Im finding the FX-17 to be alot of fun and i mesh well with it. The F-US was like an untameable beast when i tried it...i probably need to revisit...but had some good races over the weekend in the FX-17 (and one in which I at least partly caused an accident in hock turn 1!)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Tempted to try this one day ... glad to hear you having fun with the v3 Hoi ! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Tempted to try this one day ... glad to hear you having fun with the v3 Hoi ! ;)