Bug Force Feedback Effect bugs?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Pascal_DP, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Pascal_DP

Pascal_DP New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

I just started out using Raceroom Racing experience and think I am experiencing some bugs. As I think this is a good way to start in getting help on these issues I wanted to just post them to see if others have similar issues or possibly fixes for them...

I have a Leo Bodnar Simsteering 2 and notice some very strange behaviour when using the Slip and kerb force feedback effects.

When launching the Nordschleife for example in a BMW Z4 GT3 and about 10% kerb effects, the wheel will start vibrating slightly as soon as you click on the "Drive" button.. When holding the wheel it basically feels as if you're driving over a very light curb. This happens before the engine has even started up... The strange thing here however is when I launch the same car on the Raceroom Raceway, this doesn't happen and everything is fine.

A bigger problem is when using the slip effect. In a lot of cars (e.g the pagani zonda R) the wheel will just start rotating left to right (oscillating). The less slip effect I apply, the less it moves. When holding the wheel it can Always be felt which makes the pagani for example undriveable as the force is that strong that I can't hold the wheel dead center when I want to. The only option is to turn the effect off completely which is not what I want. Again, some cars have a problem with this effect, others don't. The BMW Z4 for example has no problems with regards to the slip effect.
    No amount of ingame dampening or overall dampening in my simsteering config can fix these oscillations. FFB multiplier also has no effects on this.

A final issue is that I always have to reset the force feedback using (ctrl alt f) as for some reason it loses the FFB. The first session after launching the game is ok, but every one after that a reset is required.

Apart from these issues, I think Raceroom seems to be a lot of fun. At the moment I only have the Nordschleife pack, though if there is a solution for the issues mentioned above, I'm sure I will invest more in this title.

Regards

Pascal

2. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    They do not have support for an OSW, try as low as possible FFB and build it from there upwards

3. Pascal_DP

Pascal_DP New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    As the bodnar is not an OSW I'm guessing you mean that no direct drive wheels are supported?

The only way I can fix this at the moment is put kerb and slip effects at 0%. Even when all other FFB settings are turned to 0 (and I mean everything except the ffb effects part) this problem still remains. I would have expected that with 0% FFB Intensity nothing else would have an effect.

I'm seeing lots of people on this for forum with Direct Drive wheels so I'm curious if it's just me that experiences these specific problems.

4. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    You may try to find the controller files (.json) that I really can't name ATM and find more "obscure" settings you can edit in there related to your problems.

5. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    have you checked the minimum force setting? I'm not sure if there is any default value, but I'd guess for DD-Wheels a very low value or atleast 0% would be good enough.

Maybe you can have a look at the FFB-Meter to check the FFB-Inputs. To activate the FFB-Meter you'd need to bind a key in the Controler-Profile. For more infos on that have a look here: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/ffb-updates.4420/

At the moment atleast accuforce is supported by Raceroom with an own wheel. But afaik here are other users with a bodnar-wheel.

6. Pascal_DP

Pascal_DP New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well I think I have to give up on this... I figured out that the settings related to these effect can be found under the \Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet folder.
    In that folder there is an RCS file with my controller profile that I use ingame.

I found these lines that actually have an effect on how these effects react:

FFB rumble strip magnitude="0.1" // How strong the rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.
    FFB rumble strip freq mult="2.0" // Rumble stip frequency multiplier 1.0 = one rumble per wheel rev.
    FFB rumble strip wave type="2" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
    FFB rumble strip pull factor="-0.1" // How strongly wheel pulls right/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.
    FFB slip effect="0.1" // Slip effect, from 0.0 to 1.0
    ffb slip freq multiplier="0.1" // Slip effect frequency. 1.0f = 1 cycle per wheel rev
    ffb slip wave type="0" // Slip effect wave type

However, there wasn't a single combination to get the effect to stop when stationary. (Except changing the magnitude to 0.0 which just disables the effect)

M.bohlken: I was using 0% minimum force which is the way it should be configured with my wheel.
    RomKnight: thanks for pointing me in the direction. I didn't find the json file. (except in the rfactor 2 folder)

I think unless somebody else with a bodnar wheel provides a solution I'll have to revisit this title at a later date when there hopefully is some support for my Bodnar wheel.
    Too bad as I think this would have been a very enjoyable title.

7. DubChain

DubChain Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Just read this with interest hoping a solution was found. I still struggle with some cars and straight line stability. To name one from memory, the citreon World touring car 2016 at Zandvoort. Couldn't drive straight at all without extreme violent shaking. I do run slip, but it's not high, and I have disabled the rumble strip pull factor too. For most cars I have no issues but some are quite undriveable.
    I also find DTM 2016 M4 has a very dead centre feel and is quite springy when steering from centre, but I don't know if it's the extreme aero of the car and lateral force doing this. Anyhow, if you do find something, let us know.

Edit:. I'm running Ollie's kit OSW small mige

8. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I have an AF so my situation is a bit different but I know the oscillating you are talking about from the slip effect and I just realized this evening that if I change the slip effect frequency to =1.0 instead of 0.1 it seems to produce a natural feel. The curb frequency I still haven't quite figured out, but the slip is much better now.

9. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0

Leosystem is also a OSW DDwheel, he uses a different driver to control the motor, plus his name is a bit bigger, that's what you pay for.

watch and listen to this: