POLL Why don't you drive multiplayer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tuborg, Jul 15, 2017.

?

Why don't you drive multiplayer?

1. Actually, multiplayer scares me and/or i don't think i have the skills.

16 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. I don't like the pace in multiplayer people drive like they were crazy.

29 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. I have to much tecnical problem in multiplayer. Bad ping, connection loss and so on.

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  4. People seem to drive the same tracks and car classes all the time and/or not enough drivers.

53 vote(s)
    37.3%
  5. I will never drive multiplayer no matter what happening. I prefer to drive against AI on my own.

16 vote(s)
    11.3%
  6. I will give it a try when we have a online ranking system.

17 vote(s)
    12.0%
  7. I drive multiplayer and love it...and look forward to the ranking system.

69 vote(s)
    48.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +456 / 0 / -0
    Make your choice, pick up to 3. Your votes is not public.

2. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Drivers are too aggressive and not careful in busy turns, coupled with pinball contact physics, means race results have a high level of randomness to them. Then again, I've only raced casual races, not leagues.

3. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    1. I don't like the pace in multiplayer people drive like they were crazy.
    2. I will give it a try when we have a online ranking system.
    3. (no vote
    possible) I miss too much perfect multiplayer tracks like Watkins Glen, Daytona, ...

4. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +456 / 0 / -0
    I knew this would come :) Those tracks doesn't exist in singelplayer either.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Are we talking about open servers? Because I think the best way to play in multiplayer is to join a league and/or a racing club anyway. Open servers have many disadvantages, even if you are lucky and there are no rammers/trolls around, there's no guarantee you will meet with opponents who have similar skills/speed to yours. On many occasions when I joined a random race, I ended up circuilating alone after the first couple of corners, everyone was significantly faster or slower than me. League races are well organized on the other hand, they have strict regulations usually and every member has to respect them, and most of the racing communities are very helpful and you can improve your speed and driving much faster with their guidance.:)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Every circuit can be the perfect multiplayer track with the right opponents.;) I had tons of fun during league races on tracks I don't even like.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Dirk Bachmann

Dirk Bachmann Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    I only race Multiplayer, some Leaderboard challenges too.
    Still looking forward to a ranking/license System.
    If you dont drive the free content you can really have nice races, not on organized level, but still fun.
    It depends also a bit what you´ve expecting - if i got a nice battle it´s really not important on which place it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    More than anything else what's keeping me mostly in single-player is the pause button. Real life makes finding a good chunk of time uninterupted at the popular racing hours difficult but very enjoyable when it happens.

I always recommend people get into clubracing at Racedepartment and the alike.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +456 / 0 / -0
    Both, but for me personally it's open servers. I like open servers.

10. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Depends. I spend about 80% of my sim-time in single-player, for various reasons.
    Racing what I want, when I want, a pause-button, reset available if things go south etc.
    It gives you a lot more freedom.

That said, I do enjoy the MP time that I do get, but only on organized servers (RD and occasionally ESR in my case).
    Organized servers have set rules, and consequences if you break them. So while incidents can't be completely avoided, you don't risk running into complete d*cks.
    Also, and perhaps more importantly, MP racing for me is much more of a social thing than an actual race thing.
    So racing against the same people, and having voice-chat available for a little banter becomes more important than the race itself.

Currently I won't go near a public server, under any set of conceivable circumstances. The driving standards are usually abysmal.
    That might change with a ranking system, but I doubt it. Obviously depends on how it's implemented, but even iRacing has its fair share of wankers, so......
    And yes, I know you can get good racing on public servers.
    You might also get away with tap-dancing in a minefield while juggling hand-grenades.
    I still wouldn't recommend it. :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MotorMantovani

MotorMantovani Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I don't think I have the skills. (I can run fast laps in the 104% group but still not consistently on a race)
    I get Bad ping (distance).
    People seem to drive mostly the same tracks and car classes and not enough drivers.
    Oh, and time zones (GMT -3).

12. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Here goes...

- Lobbies mostly empty.
    - Lack of racing etiquette on display from many participants.
    - Too many people drop out of races after a spin or if they are off the pace meaning the second half or the race can be empty and boring.
    - Real life gets in the way. Cannot pause an online race (e.g. if my young son needs my attention).

Generally I prefer to race offline so I can race when I want, what I want and where I want with full grid of AI that is matched to my pace. That said, nothing beats organised racing with a regular group of people (done it plenty in the past with other games) but I find club races at RD (for instance) are at inconvenient times for people in the UK with a young family. I simply can't race at 7-8pm.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Only with real people in my case, or hotlaping.
    Sadly i can't enjoy racing against artificial drivers.
    I had really fun races in public servers at nords, especially with gt3, with 2 or 3 comtetitive and clean drivers, it's enough to have fun.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    - Car-track combo on offer not my taste.
    - Too few players whenever I cared to look.
    - Real world life and timetables get in the way.
    - No big interest in P-Q-R settings for events anymore. I do either race with randomised starting positions, or trackday/hotlapping/training.

AI I can set to use the cars and tracks, and the skill level I want/need/wish/desire. Perfect. And all that at the time I have chosen.

MP I only occasionally do - and then a trackday setup. Its rare you see me out there. But when I do, I usually end up in AC, and then at Spa or Nordschleife (its rare you have a trackday server with players on it and then using a trackday setting). Its MP simply is smoother, more problem-free, and has more players. In RR, I have had constantly slow frames and stuttering, or sometimes stuttering. It is smooth only when I am alone on track online.

I'm a single child. I have never learned to share. :D

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  15. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    But i drive multiplayer XD its actually awsome buy i keep it with slow cars. Even with gt3 cars most people are unable to drive them competitively. With DTM92/Touring ; TT and NSU most races in public servers are decent. With quicker cars its hit or miss.

One thing that annoys me with online multiplayer is the lack of long races and multiclass races. Also a system like assetto has with limiting each car would be awesome. Lots of these multiclass races have 20 of one class then 2 or 3 of the other and this is a bit of a annoyance.
    However long races dont happen cause most people leave half way and multiclass dont have variety because most people dont have all the cars.

But in general online is ok for me. Net code works like a charm and that helps a lot too !!

16. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree with some of the previous comments - I was never really that big on multiplayer before I joined a racing club (RD in my case). Since then, I'm racing almost daily and most of the time absolutely loving it. It also solves the problem of racing the same tracks over and over since there's rotation of pretty much all of the available tracks and cars. I do occassionally go back to public races (and as long as I stay away from Raceroom Raceway, it's usually OK), but I rarely ever race offline now - AI frustrates me way more than even public racing.

17. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I've only just started with R3E and have just come out of a decent multiplayer session. As already mentioned the racing is very good when the perennial first corner heroes are safely in the rear view mirror. But a couple of things...

The player-joining stutter - yeesh. I did a search for this and it seems like a long standing problem.

The abrupt endings of sessions. No gentle fade out just BANG, you're looking at a menu.

Also (and this goes for single player too) when the race ends DON'T TAKE CONTROL OF MY CAR dammit. I want to cool down, do some donuts, maybe drive alongside the race winner to congratulate them, maybe just cruise back around into the pits. Just take your damn dirty hands off of my car. Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Mike R

Mike R Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone, I play in multiplayer but quite a bit for the reasons that other users have already commented ...

- Few players in most races

- They are always the same cars / circuits

- I do not play against pilots of my level, or very good or beginners

- There is no system that selects the players according to their level

- I can not create my own career without having to use Raceroom Dedicated Server

-But above all, because most of the players leave the game, from my point of view should be severely penalized those who do

I understand that Raceroom is trying to implement a ranking system similar to iRacing, but from my point of view it is not the best system (my opinion).

What I would like to see is the classification of the players in divisions but by circuit and category, that is to say, to be able to compete seriously to have to have given a specific number of turns to a circuit, and to obtain a stint of a specific number of turns without Make mistakes, from there calculate the average time of the best pilot and assign the players to the division they belong to.

For example, suppose we want to race in Suzuka with a GT3. Well, for me it would be ideal to be forced to give a minimun of 100 laps to the circuit in practical mode, of which at least 40 must be valid laps in one stint. Each circuit should show the player's statistics, indicating the division in which it is, the valid laps, the longest stint, and what to do to increase division. That would get several things:

That the players took the races more seriously

Accidents would be avoided due to players who do not know the circuit / car

Classify players according to their average skills in the race and not in a single lap

Set a goal and have a goal to keep progressing in each circuit / category. It could be rewarded in the rankings to the pilots that more circuits and categories dominate

It would avoid having to penalize players for minor race incidents, such as a runway exit, when other pilot hit you and it's not your fault, or a minor hit. Besides, everyone can make a mistake, but if you've had to spend hours to get the necessary goals to compete, we'll all pay more attention to racing.

Something very important for me, to keep in a database all the comments that are made in the race, and to add a button to denounce insults. If it is found that a user has insulted another under any circumstances, expelled for a long period of time.

Well its just my opinion, but of course if you want to get different results and attract other players, you can not just copy what iRacing has already done.

A greeting to all and sorry for my English, translated with Google

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  19. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    To be fair, the join stutter is hardly R3E exclusive.

But agree with the rest. Especially the session ending is quite bad. Can't remember a race where there wouldn't be someone suddenly going "whoa!" over voice chat as the session ends - and we're talking about people who have spent hundreds of hours with R3E so they're aware of the fact this happens, but the abruptness of it gets you every time as you're focused on the race.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I would very much like to do multiplayer. And in fact I am a member of the esr league. But my video card for some reason I haven't been able to fathom. Can't seem to handle more than a few cars in the race. Combine that with living in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Finding good races with an acceptable ping, is more of a hassle than it's worth to me. I can be in a race in single player in a matter of minutes. Where with multiplayer I may spend a 1/2hr in practice and qly. Only to have a bunch of people jump in at he last minute. And I end up quiting. And feel like I just wasted 1/2 my game time which is only about an hour or so on most days.
    I'm planning to upgrade my rig with a new computer at the end of the year. And will be more involved in multiplayer at that time.