Resolved A beginner's guide to gamepads

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Christian G, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

as I've been asked to share my controller settings and give a hint or two about setting up and driving with a gamepad I ended up writing more than the three lines I had in mind initially. So I thought I could as well create a little guide for all those who might be interested. Attached you'll find my highly subjective guide to driving (in RR) with a gamepad, including my current gamepad profile settings.

In case you have a question or if you just want to tell me if it was helpful or not to you, feel free to comment.

Cheers

Christian

Attached Files:

• Like x 8
    • Winner x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Love it! x 3
    • Useful x 1
  2. GuyC_UK

GuyC_UK New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Much Appreciated, thank you for this Post, made the Xbox control pad much smoother to use.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yea, but that guide will be so complex it'll take some more months.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Nice initiative @Christian Göpfert ! :)
    I drove almost all my sim racer life with a gamepad, and controller setup is far more important than car setup here, and it's car dependent... :eek::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. F_FLETCHER

F_FLETCHER Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    @Christian: I give you more months. ;)Very good feeling with the cars with controller.

Christian, super Gefühl mit dem Pad zu fahren... habe demnächst nen Steam Link und endlich kann ich dann Raceroom auch mal über TV von Couch aus cruisen. Mach bitte weiter und wenn magst, gib uns all Deine Einstellungen preis für das Gamepad. Was war ich vorher am fluchen mit PAD zu fahren, ich kam überhaupt nicht klar - die Einstellungen sind so komplex... Ich bräuchte wohl Wochen zum einstellen und die fehlt mir einfach...

Danke Dir für`s Grundgerüst...

7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Thanks a lot, glad it seems to have helped some of you guys.

I already thought about expanding the guide, but wasn't sure what would be missing or most interesting.
    Not sure what you mean regarding my gamepad settings, I've attached all advanced options at the very last page. Did you have the FFB settings in mind, or is there sth else I've missed?

Thanks for all your kind feedback, I'm open for suggestions on how to expand or what else to explain/highlight.

Best regards

Christian

8. PE4

PE4 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Most of my settings that I'm comfortable with are similar to those in the guide. However I use 5 for analog sectors and return multiplier (makes catching a slide easier I think); also I use a more direct 20% steering sensitivity. I'd like to know a bit more about clutch biting point when using auto transmission. It happens some times not to change gears when accelerating and instead oscillate violently (most of times in FWD cars).

9. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'm not completely sure I understand what you mean by violent oscillations.
    Do you mean that the car gets stuck in the previous gear and bounces off the rev limiter until you release the throttle a bit?
    Wt biting point setting are you using atm?

10. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Mind listing some cars where you find this oscillation?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PE4

PE4 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Exactly! I use the default 3.

12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, apparently it shouldn't happen but it does occasionally. However, for me, always using manual transmission, it has never happened so far.

Did you try another biting point value? As I mention in the guide, for me 5 feels pretty good, but I don't know about automatic transmission or how it changes the behaviour using auto.

13. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Update:
    I updated/expanded some parts of the guide and made it a bit prettier.
    V2 attached here and in op.

Suggestions and comments welcome.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  14. PE4

PE4 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Nice "facelift" of the guide!

I did a test with the 2016 WTCC Citroen on Sachsenring with different clutch bite points, but it was mostly the same. Anyway, the updated guide it's clearer regarding the clutch biting point behavior.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gio_vtec

gio_vtec Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Really helpful guide @Christian Göpfert in my case I have to leave my wheel and go back to the gamepad, it doesn't bother me too much as I like racing.
    Just wanted to know, If there is a track in specific that helps you fine tuning your gamepad setting, i.e. I like race only GT3's (don't kill me :D) so, I started with Paul Ricard, default set up and did enough laps to fine tunning the gamepad settings to be able to race the AI at 113%, However when I jumped to Monza It was totally different.

Is it something more like tweak every time we change tracks?

Regards!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Christian - what gamepad are you using yourself these days?

17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Still using my trusty old Logitech Rumblepad 2. I genuinely think that - in terms of analogue stick quality - it is the most solid gamepad ever produced, plus the sticks do sit in square orifices, which makes it easier to always achieve full input in racing games.
    So I got 3 of those pads back when they were still being made. ;) And I'm still using my first one, and the sticks still haven't loosened up, so I'll probably be stuck with the ones I got for many years.

It has one major downside however, which is that it's missing analogue shoulder buttons. While I don't really need or miss them I'm aware that lots of people are accustomed to using analogue triggers for throttle/brake control, so for them that gamepad ain't an option.

Really sorry gio, I wasn't around much at the time you posted this, so I found your post just now.
    In general I don't tweak the settings for each track, on most of them my main profile settings work fine for me. There's some occasions (like driving FWD on very bumpy tracks f.e.) for which I slightly adapt my settings.

To dial the settings in, I'm mostly using Raceroom Hillclimb(!), because I like it and it offers some great variety in corners and covers many of the demands you can encounter on most other tracks at once. In addition, to kinda balance the curvy, slower-paced nature of RR Hillclimb out, I use to complement with Suzuka (but will probably be using Imola a lot more in the future). Once that is done, I'd check on a some-of-it-all track like Zandvoort, which I guess would also make for a good go-to track for gamepad adjustment.

Hope this helps, and sorry again for the belated answer.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  18. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I actually do own a Logitech Rumblepad 2, but I just can't get on with using the stick for throttle/brake control...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I just got so used to using the right stick back in the days of Gran Turismo on Playstation 2, when gamepads just didn't have analogue triggers. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I am using the genuine RaceRoom gamepad with the steering wheel, so for throttle and brake I have to use the (pressure-sensitive) shoulder triggers. Does anybody have a solution to place little adapters on these triggers for better and gradual control? (because I don´t know all the special expressions: auf Deutsch: gibt es eine Möglichkeit, kleine Hebel anstatt der Druckknöpfe zu verwenden, um die Bremse besser kontrollierbar zu machen? Vielleicht irgendein Adapter?)