Any way to achieve more anti-aliasing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goldtop, Jul 16, 2015.

1. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    i dont use inspector but only nvidia panel.
    i can't help you about inspector.
    but to remove Aliasing DSR is the only solution.

2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    per Default, in Nvidia Inspector the correct exe-Files are missing in the Raceroom-Profile. Have you added the rrre.exe and since the last update the rrre64.exe in that profile?
    If not, Nivida Inspector will just use the global default settings. So to add the exe-files in the Profile, you need to open it first and add them by clicking he + Icon. Than you need to search for the Exe-Files in the Steamapps-Folder.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Karl Heinz Kluth

Karl Heinz Kluth Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that´s exactly what i did, i addfed the rrre.exe (from ..\common\raceroom racing experience\Game) and the rrre64.exe (from c..\ommon\raceroom racing experience\Game\x64) to the existing Race Room Profile. It really looks like the inspector doesn´t accept any settings i made. But in other steam simulation games the inspector works well, i do not get it.

4. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    No, it's not. DSR is one way, but not the only solution, and in my opinion not even the best.

DSR is very GPU demanding, and it also usually introduces problems that other options don't. Supersampling basically does exactly the same as DSR, just in a better and slightly faster way, and without introducing other problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    It depends a bit on the GPU relying on that. Modern GPUs are pretty fast in high resolutions but struggle in high SuperSampling-Modes. So you can achive good results in both. For Example you can run 1440p downsampled to 1080p with 4x Supersampling faster than 8x Supersampling in 1080p and so you get better results... It's alot trail & error to finde the best settings... BTW. using VSR on my old AMD 270X was very very good as AMD-Cards are know for good results in high resolutions...

6. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    What's the idea of running both supersampling and DSR at the same time? They do the same thing. DSR+MSAA I do understand, but DSR and SSAA on top of each other I do not understand. Why not just increase the DSR factor?

And 8x SSAA would equal a DSR factor of 64x, which is pretty much unrealistic.

7. rockyv

rockyv New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've also added a new profile in the nvidia control panel for the rrre64.exe and the game starts in 64bit, too, but all the settings made in the nvidia control panel do not take any effect in raceroom...:confused:

8. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Have you enabled at least 2x MSAA in game? If all AA in game is disabled, the settings won't work.

• Informative Informative x 3
  9. rockyv

rockyv New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes, 8x MSAA is enabled...

I want to improve the optical behaviour i.e. in Spa. When I'm between eau rouge and the finish line there are ugly streaks on the yellow red curbs of eau rouge and on the guardrails that are moving until I'm close enough to see the normal curbs pattern. Same spot in iRacing shows no streaks.

10. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I dont think this is accurate at all.

DSR is supersampling after all. It's just Nvidia's proprietary name for their own implementation of it. 4.0x DSR (on a 1080p monitor) = 3840 x 2160, whereas 4x SSAA is also 4k. DSR doesnt even go above 4.0x because that would be insane for it to.

Same with AMD's VSR. It's just their own name for DSR/SSAA and the increments should be exactly the same.

Happen to have a picture of this? It kinda sounds like the shadows are a bit funky, but there isnt a whole lot that can be done about that if you are already using max shadows. Might be something else though.

In inspector, are you using "Enhance game settings" or "Override game settings"? This should be set on enhance I believe, or Inspector wont have an affect.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    with 1080TI :

i play at 8K DSR ultra (native 4K x2) and it's awesome !!!
    Aliasing is gone !!!
    i can play at 12K medium but i prefer 8K ultra :) !!
    i really like graphics at 8K, but if i go back to 4K, it looks awfull :)
    i hope i will have VOLTA fast, i will play at 12K ultra :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Just to help prevent some confusion, playing at native 4k and using 2.0x DSR does not mean you are playing at 8k. 8k is 4 times the pixel count of 4k, so you would need to use DSR 4.0x to play at 8k. Similarly, 12k isnt really a thing at all.

2.0x DSR at 4k would mean you are playing at 5760 x 3240, which is then downsampled to 3840 x 2160 to fit on your monitor. Which is halfway between 4k and 8k.

No games on consumer hardware/monitors are ever displayed at a theoretical 12k.

13. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    8=2x4 ?
    and yes i play at 5760 x 3240

edit : if 7680×4320 is 8K, i can play at 8K medium.
    my gpu can't go above.

14. rockyv

rockyv New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I will make a screenshot next time... but I do not use any shadows atm, because they cause a stuttering i.e. in Spa and on the Nordschleife 24h since the latest update... so shadows are off and car shadows are on.

Ooooh, this could be the problem... I'm using the override setting... I will change this and test it again... Thanks... ;)

15. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    That's not how AA is calculated though. Or in this case, DSR.

It isnt just simply multiplied by each other.

Im not sure I would be the best at explaining this at the moment, but you can check this by setting your DSR in the Nvidia control panel to 4.0x, and then going to your desktop to change your monitor resolution. It will show a new option of 7680 x 4320, which is 8k.

To play at 12k, you would need a DSR of 16.0x, which isnt available.

Basically, any time you double the screen resolution, you are quadrupling the number of pixels being displayed. And DSR is more or a pixel multiplier than a resolution multiplier.

If you want to learn more about this, I would probably suggest googling for how resolution scale works.

Hmm, probably nothing to do with shadows then. So, im not really sure. I guess a picture would help :)

16. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    anything which doesn't go with 2x4 = 8 is wrong :)

17. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    hehe, it makes more sense when you look at resolution as horizontal x vertical pixels.

When you double your resolution, you are getting 2x more horizontal pixels and 2x more vertical pixels. Which means you are getting 4x the overall amount of pixels, which is the number DSR, etc. is referring to.

18. rockyv

rockyv New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Just tested a little bit, the problem is that shadows are "off" :confused:. With shadows "off" all this stuff with a "small linear pattern" on the surface like curbs, fences or guardrails besides the track have these moving curved streaks when driving around and looking at these from distance. When I close up on these things, they look perfect.
    Now... when I increase the shadow setting, this effect decreases with every step a little bit, with shadows set to "high" it's gone, although on many of the things isn't ever any shadow... :eek:

Unfortunately shadows are not exactly brilliant (in terms of optics AND performance) since the latest update :confused::rolleyes:o_O...:(

19. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    DSR factors refer to the total number of pixels rendered. 4.00x DSR means rendering 4x the pixels and then downscaling. To get 4x the pixels, the rendered image is 2x in width and 2x in height, meaning at 1920x1080 it will render at 3840x2160 and then downscale.

SSAA does not refer to the total number of pixels, but rather the horizontal and vertical pixel count. 2x SSAA refers to rendering the entire image at 2x the horizontal pixel count AND 2x the vertical pixel count, which in this case also will be 3840x2160 - the same as 4.00x DSR.

8x SSAA will render the image at 8x8 times its original size, which is terms of DSR will equal 64x the total pixels.

This is only a matter of different ways of naming the factoring, though.

The main differences in DSR and SSAA as I understand, is that DSR is done solely by the driver itself, hiding the entire process from the game and graphics engine in there, by simply "tricking" the game into believing you have a higher resolution monitor. This is the reason DSR sometimes introduces other problems, like small menus and so on. SSAA is implemented into the renderer used by the game.

SSAA also only deals with upscaling in whole numbers, 2x, 3x or 4x, while DSR also can use any number as its upscaling factor. This is the main reason we can set the amount of smoothing in DSR, because downscaling from an uneven pixel count can produce artifacts. This is also the reason SSAA in most cases should be faster than DSR.

1x2 SSAA wil render at twice the height and the original width, which is "only" 2x the original pixel count. I like this option, as it's easy on the GPU, and it effectively reduces much of the most common shadow and curb jaggies and flickering. Shadow aliasing which creates flickering is as far as I can see a common problem in many games, as shadows aren't affected by MSAA, and in many cases not by transparency supersampling either. For this, DSR or SSAA is the only effective remedy.

In theory, MSAA+Transparency supersampling could produce almost the same result as full scene SSAA, but this combination often also introduces artifacts, and there will often also still be edges that aren't anti aliased properly.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    very nice !
    i understand why i have menu issue with DSR 4k x2.
    but it removes all aliasing. graphics are awesome.

• Like Like x 1