iRacing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dale Junior, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Dirt Midgets are coming ...

... well-known music :rolleyes::rolleyes::

PS: Dear iRacing team, no stress please. There is no need for competitions between you and Sector3. You are both great sim developers. It's almost like in the good old times of Papyrus and SimBin. Please more respect for each other and no copy tries. Your enemies are Project CARS and Assetto Corsa! Best regards.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Dale Junior

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Knoxville Raceway is coming ...

... we need firework animations in R3E too. Looks awesome ... and driving cars / car animations beside the track in a real life environment!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  3. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Before we get fireworks, we need a day/night cycle in raceroom :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I renewed my account recently with a 50% promo code and I must say I somehow already regret it.

I drove the Audi R8 LMS GT3 on the Nordschleife in a private test and why the hell is this car constantly sliding? The tyres don't seem to build up any grip... it's more like it's decreasing after a short while (and I don't talk about a worn tyre).

Also the tyres just lose traction from nowhere, without a warning. In Metzgesfeld for example. A 5th gear corner usually where the aerodynamic of the car gives you plenty of grip. In iRacing I just suddenly oversteer mid corner and lose the car.
    Then in Spiegelkurve the car just spins out, in reality they can go almost full throttle through this corner and the car is very stable through aerodynamics. In iRacing it's like driving a raw egg. You cannot trust the tires and aerodynamics how it should be.
    Corner speed in most corners is way too slow (Flugplatz, Mutkurve...), Topspeed is way too low also.
    In Tiergarten you can go full speed through the left right combination but in iRacing the car gets upset and you have to brake early to avoid crashing.

I tested for almost two hours, with different setup adjustments etc. Track progression was at 100% and I had a warm track.

But you always have these sliding tyres, with this horrible scrubbing noise. You cannot trust the aerodynamic and not even the tyres, they just behave weird in this car.

Seems to me they artificially made it harder than reality or there are just major flaws in how tyres and aerodynamics work in this game.

Just tested this car in the GT3 class but I don't think I want to spend any more money on other GT3 cars since the Audi is a desaster for me.

Now I understand why race driver Wolfgang Reip said that iRacing is not the most realistic sim and he had to chuckle when he was asked about iRacing.

Sorry but I don't believe that these cars drive like this in reality.

It may be a sim, but it's only a sim amongst others and not THE sim. It has nice features I would like to see in other sims and it has very good VR performance.
    But the lack of AI, the high price, the obvious flaws in the physics department (or artificial difficulty) don't make it the sim of choice for me.

But I have another 3 months to try :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  5. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    They forgot the s... Isracing

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    What?

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    LOL.. Sorry we are using English here.
    Iceracing

(Is= ice in Swedish)

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    The Audi did get messed up recently with a balance of power adjustment. If you watch the iRacing GT3 races, it's pretty much an all Mercedes class right now. They adjusted the balance of power and in the process ruined the driving dynamics of the Audi and killed the power of the Ferrari.

That being said, iRacing is much more slippery and harder to catch than anything you will find in R3E.

9. DomiGruen

DomiGruen Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Same experience here when I used iRacing - it's really slippery and I am not sure if this is more or less realistic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Max

Max Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    @stbm waht grip level you adjust in your test. stantard is very low level. And the next think is the weather. Drive Offizel Races the Trouristfahrten and go to a Practice Server.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I used the beta UI and I could choose the track progression from 0 to 100% (I set it to 100). Weather was set to clear. Zero humidity. 30°C.

It's not the first time I experience weird tyre sliding (I play it since 2015 very occasionally), but with the Mazda MX-5 I thought ok not full racing slicks. But you could expect a car with such aerodynamics and racing slicks to be more stable in corners. They should be glued to the asphalt (slicks are literally like glue when they're on temperature) . A GT3 car has 1 metric ton downforce! You don't feel anything like that in iRacing, and it doesn't behave anything like that. And what bugs me most is that your car gets even more unstable when the tyres are up to working temperature.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Clapper

Clapper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    They're going to interface with Euro Truck Simulator 2 so you need to transport your race car to the tracks ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Dale Junior

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    I must say quite honestly, it has been my dream for a long time: The Motorsport Team Simulator - A game where you are assuming the role of a race car drive, and team manager, and team owner, and truck driver, … . Well, a mixture of garage simulation, business simulation, truck simulation, and racing simulation (already existing). For example: You start the game by founding a racing team, then you have to find the right employees / team members and sponsors, then you have to built up the car with your new team, then you have transport the race car to the track by a truck, then have to drive the race car on the track, after the race you have to speak with sponsors again and organize the next races, … and so on. Something like that:

... Should I found my own new video game developer company, or will Sector 3 add these wishes to R3E one day? (mhhh ... serious question) I think it's a great game concept ... with a lot of work for many years to come!

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  14. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I think I wrote this before somewhere, but professional drivers from my country are saying the same thing, they are using iRacing for practice nowadays, but they also admit that in some aspects, "it's even harder than driving a real race car".

One of them has driven the actual MP4-12C and after that he said the iR version has so little grip it's not even fun compared to the real one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Max

Max Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Make the Tire Pressure so low you can

16. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    So I should use a workaround/exploit to make it work? Too low tire pressure usually ends with an unstable car

17. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Yesterday I renewed my license as well and bought the Nordschleife and the Audi and Mercedes (I got a bit crazy) I was just to curious about the whole thing. What shall I say, I am blown away by the Nordschleife in iRacing. My impression was that it behaves much more believable then in R3E, I mean the Mercedes and Audi. Full stereo interior sound :) so much more immersion compared to RaceRoom :) Its just fun to drive on the Nordschleife. No clue if I will ever get a racing license for GT3 cars lol

18. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    funny how I have the complete opposite impression of the Audi and general driving behaviour ^^ The track looks great, no question about that.

19. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I will drive the Audi again, test test :) report later

20. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Ok, yesterday I tested the Audi in iRacing on the Nordschleife again. It's pretty bitchy I got to say. With the the default setup you got to be super precise and smooth or you will lose the car immediately. At the exit of Hatzenbach the car jump to the side and got grip again immediately something experience in raceroom. The Audi is much more difficult to drive than the Mercedes. This is my first impression. After driving the Audi in iRacing jump into raceroom and tested the Audi as well. The first thing I was super surprised by was the fact that the Force Feedback in a iracing and raceroom feels super identical. In RaceRoom i'm only using the lateral slider for the force feedback and turned off all other effects. The new physics of the GT3 cars is awesome. Anyway, what's interesting is that I lost the Audi at almost the same corners in iRacing and RaceRoom and vice versa. Somehow they are pretty similar. I'm still overwhelmed by the content/features that iRacing offers. Soundwise iRacing is in front of RaceRoom, sorry to say that :) but when you start driving the Mercedes and you lift off the gas pedal and you hit the breaks you get so much different sounds to hear, uhhhhh awesome. I have the feeling I'm sitting inside the car because the sounds are in stereo. The tracks are great as well. The lighting looks more natural than in RaceRoom. RaceRoom always has this bluish tint and never looks sunny when the sun his the tarmac. The graphics engine in RaceRoom is probably the oldest of all Sims right now?
    I have a pretty old machine from 2009 in iRacing runs on the highest graphics settings super smooth without any stuttering at all. After going back to RaceRoom it feels so lifeless, when doing mistakes who cares, when exceeding the speed limit in the pits who cares :/ I guess I'm getting addicted to iRacing now ^^ I tested project cars and I hated it from the first minute. Yesterday, I also compared Laguna Seca in iRacing, RaceRoom, PC2, and AC. iRacing wins in my opinion. Followed by PC2. RaceRoom looks pretty old, low resolution and blurry textures, horrible. The hills in the back not nice at all. Somehow the elevation in iRacing feels always a bit stronger compared to the other Sims. The Nordschleife feels much more what I have seen in reality, no clue if they exaggerated the elevation a bit. All Sims had the same FOV. Hohe Acht, Wippermann for instance feels much stepper than in RaceRoom. Anyway, it was about the Audi lol