Which shifter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Don Rudi, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I am looking into shifter options and am a ittle "lost". I mostly drive GT3 cars with some occasional WTCC, so a sequential shifter would be enough for my needs. Looking at the options, it seems to narrow down to the Thrustmaster TH8A, Fanatec Clubsport SQ and Heusingveld shifters.
    Stupid question, but for example what is the benefit of a Heusingveld shifter over the other two models (which also feature optional H-gear)? In my little pink world, sequential shifting is not much more than two buttons for up/down shift. But there seems to be more to it?
    Are there any other affordable sequential, touring car stye shifters?

2. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    The differences will the quality, the feel, the throw, the size, the mounting possibilities, the "adjustability", etc ..
    Someone can prefer a SQ shifter with very short throw with a very pronounced "Clic", someone may prefer something more "mechanical" with more throw on the shifter lever.

If you want the "real thing" (touring car style) it's more something like that:
    http://www.bsimracing.com/manu-factory-mf-ssh14-sequencial-shifter/
    Or this one:
    http://www.pro-sim.co.uk/shop/shifters/sequential-shifter/#tab-description
    (Witch is IMO the best shifter you can get.. but at a cost for sure :) )

I have the Fanatec SQ, It's for sure the best shifter if you want H-pattern + SQ. But if you're only in for a SEQ shifter I would go for a dedicated one like the Heusingveld witch would provide you a better feeling IMO

• Like Like x 1
  3. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input :) The MF SSH14 looks pretty nice, though I have no clue (yet) how to mount it to my Raceroom seat.
    The Fanatec SQ sure is an option, but from all the videos it appears to be very noisy?

4. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    The Fanatec SQ noisy ? Not at all

There're more noisy than this one in term of Sequential shifters

Something to know about the Fanatec is that when you're in SQ mode you don't need to push the lever all the way through, it register the input with a shorter throw than in mode H pattern.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I'm on that same road Don, I know someone that had the MF SSH14 and it's extremely nice, but it also has quite a large mounting space, the two that I'm looking at are Heusingveld shifter which doesn't take up alot of space and has good reviews and is well made of course, and the PSL Sequential shifter http://www.pro-sim.co.uk/shop/shifters/psl-sequential-shifter/#tab-description it's a difficult one to choose, at the moment I'm leaning more towards the HE shifter mainly because of the price that I can get it through Demon Tweeks who are now selling HE stuff, which gives me a £30 saving ordering from them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    I recently replaced my 2 TH8A's with a Fanatec SQ v1.5 and I couldn't be happier with it. It's seems pretty robust and it's very precise, I haven't missed a single shift (in H-pattern, that is) since I started using it. And I can confirm that it's not noisy at all.

I had been looking at the Heusinkveld sequential shifter before, and was waiting for their H-shifter to hit the market, but decided I'd rather have a single shifter that covers both modes. Hence the Fanatec.

The TH8A is not bad for it's price, but it feels a bit toy-like. My biggest gripe with it is the lack of resistance in sequential mode, which makes it easy to miss-shift (accidentally down-shifting while grabbing for the stick to shift up, for instance).

If you're only looking for a sequential shifter and have no need for an H-shifter, I think the Heusinkveld would be a very good option. Otherwise, I can highly recommend the Fanatec SQ.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    A lot of interesting options then :)
    To sum it up for me it would look like this:

1) Heusinkveld: best price
    2) Fanatec SQ: best overall compromise
    3) MF-SSH14: love at first sight, but busts my budget

Good to hear that the Fanatec isn't as loud as I thought it to be :cool:

8. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    By the way if you think about getting the HE shifter, have alook at getting it from DemonTweeks as it works out cheaper through them because of delivery charges, saves me £30.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I had a look and they list it at 211€ plus min. 12€ shipping (approx 1 week).
    Mardomedia sells it for 219€ with free shipping and next day delivery :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Or build something :p ... it'll be fun they say !

[​IMG]

This clip is nearly 7 years from when I was building it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  11. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I had:
    - Logitech G25
    - Logitech G27
    - Thrustmaster TH8A (with custom made alu plates for short shifting and SQ), too troublesome to change from H to SQ each time), but already much better than both Logitechs.
    - Fanatec SQ (good, easy to change, but I have (had) to change the preload every time. When it was OK for H pattern, it was too heavy for SQ and when it was OK for SQ, it was too heavy for H-pattern).
    - So I moved to the HE SQ and use both shifters now.

The HE SQ looks and feels if it is built to last a lifetime - which it probably will, just like the Pro pedals). This is the reason why I also have a HE H-pattern shifter in "pre-order", which will arrive end of Q1 and will replace my Fanatec shifter.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    It sure would be fun, but while having the basic skills, I lack the propper tools and workspace to do so.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    You just made the HE SQ shifter move up in my priority list again ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    It comes with several knobs and levers included (easy to change and experiment what suits you best). The housing is really very small (as is the new H-pattern shifter), which makes it easy to mount. The feel is very good, better than the Fanatec imo.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Yeh the new H-shifter from HE does look interesting as well, we're let you test it for us Fanapryde and report back..;)

16. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    There is also the SHH Shifter: http://www.shiftershh.com/en/
    Cheap.
    Easy to change between H pattern and sequential, and have a really positive resistance and click in sequential mode.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    This looks like a really interesting alternative. At least to get back a cheap SQ shifter after I sold my TH8A, and it even has a TH8 mounting :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    As I see it, changing is the same as with the TH8A: remove the knob and 4 bolts, right ? That is exactly the reason why I sold the TH8A and went for the Fanatec (only move a slider to change from H to SQ). I know several guys who use 2 TH8A, one in H-mode, the other in SQ-mode, because of the hassle.
    If you just use the shifter in one mode, it is no issue.

19. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    The SQ plate is added extra cause I bougt it specificly for SQ. You don't need or get that when buying the SHH shifter.
    To change between SQ and H you just press and rotate the lever clockwise, after that press a switch and you are ready to go.:)

• Informative Informative x 5
  20. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Oh it is that easy to switch between H and SQ? Though even 2 of them would still be cheaper than one Fanatec SQ, especially as I'd like to have the SQ shift higher and closer to the wheel and the H shift lower and not as far to the front :)