Future for American tracks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by .OG Isaac, Jan 25, 2018.

?

Oval racing

1. Yay

11 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. Nay

52 vote(s)
    82.5%
  1. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Since the R3E hyeptrain is headed towards Road America, do you guys think there's a future in more American style tracks?

We've got Indianapolis' circuit layout, why not the oval? ANd with the Daytona race coming up and it's looking like a fun track, how about some more ovals (with their road course layouts when available?)

What'd you like to see! I'd personally love to dip my toes in ovals after 20 years of my non stop "Road course best course" mentality. Discuss!

(the poll is based on ovals, this thread on American tracks in general)

2. Flipside

Flipside Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I think to do Oval racing would be quite an undertaking as its not just a track but the car types and rules involved. Not impossible but maybe too niche to make it profitable?

Though not US based myself I do love US road tracks though. Daytona Road Course and Sebring next please!! :D

3. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Not for me.

Sector3 is a small team with limited resources. I'd rather they focus on continuing to improve what they have already (road racing) rather than diversifying into another discipline that requires serious time and effort to do properly. Plus, oval racing is already well-covered by iRacing and rFactor2.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I think that everyone who is interested in oval racing will stick to iRacing. For R3E it would be a (too) great effort and use of ressources... not only the tracks that have to be built, but all series within the sim don’t match for oval racing (besides the fictional Indy car), so there would be a huge amount of money to go into licensing series like NASCAR... and time to create all this car models, not to speak of mechanics as full course yellow, pace/safety car and so on...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Ovalracing to me is like writing with my left hand.
    I think, there's enough to do in road racing as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    For a little fun, shits n giggles n all that I would take Puebla from the race series, quick simple easy job for the mechanics at RR.
    In general they dont really appeal, so would probably have to say no.

7. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    If there would be a US-Track with an oval + infield like Daytona, I wouldn't mind an oval-Layout just for some fun-races... but I'd prefer a focus on road-tracks.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Oval racing is fun and I've done lots of it.. let's leave that for other sims and focus on the great direction this game is heading. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. .OG Isaac

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    *cough* Indianapolis and Lausitz *cough* ;)

10. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Personally not interested in oval racing at all. As others stated, iRacing already is the top dog when it comes to racing in left hand turns only. It would be a waste of resources to try and challenge them.

More US tracks - yes! I'd love to see Watkins Glenn, Daytona Road course and Sebring in the game for sure. Not interested in Mickey Mouse tracks like COTA though :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. .OG Isaac

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I find COTA to be quite a fun track. Why don't you like it? Just the usual tilke-hate?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hehe, yeah - but you know how difficult it is, to get new layouts to existing tracks... Those ovals wouldn't be an easy modification like it was done with the red bull ring...

13. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    No Tilke-hate from my side. For me, it just lacks character. I don't like the modern F1 circuits with their giant run-off areas.Tracks like Watkins Glen or Road America are more to my liking. The fans (with their visible tents and motorhomes)are close to the track and there is still a lot of green left and right of the track.
    I drove COTA in both PCars and F1-2016 and there was just nothing I liked about it, neither look, nor flow. Same for F1 TV broadcasts, it is one of those races that I voluntarily miss.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Jusek

Jusek Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't mind having COTA in Raceroom. Also with Sector 3 having partnership with Tilke GmbH, it's pretty likely to come at some point.

15. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  16. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    Really? So everything Iracing is good (or best) at should be left without competition?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I don’t think he wants to say that... that feels like nit picking and looking for a provokant statement IMO.... but do you really think it would be wise for S3 to put attention to oval racing and challenge iRacing? As I stated above, that would be years in development and a serious amount of money... I think it’s not wise to go this direction and let the focus, as is, on road racing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    I don't know Thomas and you don't know. We all just guessing and think.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Don't put words in my mouth that I did not say.
    SMS failed big time to bring ovals to pCars1, according to them due to problems to get the AI racing properly on an oval track. I don't know about studio sizes, but I think SMS have a few more resources than S3, so it does not seem to be too trivial.
    In Raceroom we don't have the tracks, we don't have the cars, we don't have the AI - so massive resources would be bound just to satisfy 12% (according to the poll)
    My personal opinion - leave ovals to iRacing and instead focus on areas that are not covered in other sims yet, like (W)TCR or the like.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    If it turns out as bad as rF2's implementation of oval racing, or even worse like PC2's, then it would wholly be a waste of a year or more of development time.

As @Don Rudi pointed out...

You cant have oval racing with 2 tracks, and you all know how long it takes to make and release even 1 single track. Oval racing needs cars, and all we have is the FR US. And then of course you would need proper asymmetric setups, and allllll of the code work that would go into making the AI not crap themselves when they race.

I know people like oval racing, but there are 3 other games that already do it, as starting from 0 would require way too much time and effort that would show little return.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1