How to brake more like AI?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by .OG Isaac, Jan 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    The AI has been known to have harder-braking brakes than the player, but in some car classes it's getting a bit out of controls (BMW M1 comes to mind first).. A solution would be to race it multiplayer, where everyone has the same braking power but the only cars being driven are GTR3 / Free Content cars..

It's making some classes unenjoyable because you have to brake 20 meters earlier and still ram the AI sometimes..

Discuss!

2. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    yeah the ai have super brakes sometimes

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    How is your "brake pressure" setting?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. .OG Isaac

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    100% and the balance depending on car and corner.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Never experienced this, except when brake pressure been at 95%

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    It's been reported so it'll be looked into, I find it very noticeable in the Group 5 and GTO classes personally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    This would depend on the number of cars selected, im sure when it goes over so many, 24 maybe 30 off the top of my head, they use a simplified physics model to lighten the cpu load, what if any effect this has or would have on braking i dont know.

8. .OG Isaac

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I don't really find it noticable in GTR3's but man, some cars.

9. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Do you have examples (except what Rodent posted above).

10. .OG Isaac

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Yes, i'll try to get some footage of the big ones at some point, but the ones coming to mind right now are:

BMW M1 in heavy braking zones (Imola chicanes, monza T1 especially. The hard braking 1st and 2nd gear corners)
    Group 5 in heavy braking zones (Also the 1st/2nd gear corners)
    Aquila CR1, GTO, P1 and P2 (Prototypes especially at Spa, bus stop chicane).

11. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Are you using the standard G27 brakes or with a modified pedal? I know this can make a difference in braking and the ability to modulate your braking sufficiently.

Wanna brake more like the Ai, gotta do it 01101100 01101001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011. Hope that helps ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  12. .OG Isaac

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Stock pedals for me, my chair ha wheels under it (dxracer) so i'll roll back if I use heavy ones. I'm used to them now though, after all those hours in raceroom and others ;)

I'll try to record some footage in a bit with some problematic cars and tracks and throw it online. Gonna setup my stuff now! (and try to record)

13. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Fair enough, a suggestion tho, goes for anyone using a seat with wheels, office chair or the like whatever it is, make a couple of chocks, use an old bit of carpet or dense rubber and push it up tight, wedged under and behind the rear wheels, it makes the world of difference if you need to put pressure on the brake pedal virtually eliminates the backward movement of the chair when braking, its also one less thing to think about whilst driving, i know full well i used to worry\be waiting for the chair to start to move while driving till i started to chock it and it was always at the worst time, lol, when im braking ;)
    Just a thought!

• Like Like x 1
  14. DaniloE31

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I just had a couple of AI races at Imola with the BMW M1 (101% :blush:) and I can absolutely confirm the supernatural braking capability of the AI...
    T150 standard pedals and 100 brake pressure.
    After punching them a couple of times from behind and ruining my (and their :innocent:) race I gave up upset :imp:

15. .OG Isaac

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Yep.

I've been driving different classes because of it. Some are not affected by it/as much. It's mostly the older cars like the M1 and Group5's. I haven't noticed it in the lower Formula's which i've been driving and GTR3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Shivas FR

Shivas FR Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    AI in WTCC car class can also brake very hard. Happen to me right now (with WTCC 2017), even if i brake earlier than them, it's like they got ABS with 150% or more brake pressure ...

AI on adaptive and not trained on the circuit, but that's happen even with a trained AI and way too often.

17. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    it's a laborious process to tune the AI's lines and braking points. They don't use the same physics as the player so this all needs to be done manually for each car / track combination

18. DaniloE31

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Maybe that's the root of all the evil? :)

19. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Frankly, every sim does it this way, except AC. And theirs has some hacks like stability control.

Using player physics for the AI from my experience with AC seems to have the AI drive more believably, but that doesnt mean they are going to be 'good', and Im sure most people remember how the AI were in AC up until recently.

Tweaks are ever constant for the AI in RR, so fine tuning will likely continue with each update as has been the case for years now :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Once we get hundred-core CPUs and programmers who can utilise them, we should be good.

Of course iRacing only uses one core and it is the most accurate and bestest simulator in the world....:rolleyes:

(If anybody wants me, I'll be in the bunker.)