Released January update - Road America has been released

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Yes of course! We looked at the general trends which were being seen across the board in as many races at as many circuits as we could gather together. We tried very hard to balance the cars before releasing them in December, but once they see the big wide world, there's a lot more data for us to paw over.

Other than the Corvette C6 Z06.R, no cars were hugely faster than any of the others. Z06 was a bit of a rocket ship in a straight line, so that was equalised. Otherwise it's a been a case of closing the field up. Removed a few kilos from some cars, gave some others bigger restrictors so they had a little more power, gave some others smaller ones. Also worked on some default setups with a few other cars to help squeeze some fractions of a second of out them.

Here are some notes below on what changed:

Audi R8 LMS - Add power
    Audi R8 LMS Ultra - Add power
    Bentley Continental - Small downforce increase front
    BMW M6 - Improved low end power, and reduced downforce
    BMW Z4 - Add power
    Chevrolet Camaro - Reduce weight
    Corvette C6 Z06.R - Increase drag, small decrease downforce, reduce power
    Corvette C7 GT3-R - reduce power
    Ford GT - Less rear, more front downforce
    McLaren 650S - Add power
    McLaren MP4-12C - Add power
    Mercedes SLS - Reduce power
    Nissan GTR - Reduce power
    P4-5 - Add power
    Porsche GT3R - Reduced power
    RUF RT12R - Reduced power

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I just did several laps in several cars, like the Cup Porsche, Daytona Prototype und Fabcar 935 - what an awesome track. Same for the revised AI, it is great fun :)
    Thanks so much Sector3, great job!

• Like Like x 4
  3. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    So pleased about the AI improvements.

Many thanks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. West McLaren

West McLaren New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    having purchased the premium pack in december 17 the porche udate and now road america this is turning out to be a very very expensive game cant help feeling like iam being fleeced, premium is not really premium :(

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I am not certain what to think of the AI. Drive GT1 and GT3 at Road America, and WTCC 2017 at Nordschleife today. It seemed to me aI is not so inviting to starrt rumbles against other AI cars anymore, also, they seem to fall back easier now once you sacked an AI car - it does no more fight back as angrily as before, or am I mistaken? AI cars form nice long chains of perals anymore, I did not see many flocks of cars fighting for places anymore - another let-down, imo.

The teddy bear factor has been increased, so to speak. I am not really convinced that the claimed improvements actually are improvements. Honestly said, i would have left the version we had until yesterday like it is. I see today's experiences as a step backwards. Not a major loss, but a loss nevertheless - and certainly no improvement.

Driving with AI at 96%, 28+1 cars.

6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    See my critical post before. Where do you see the improvements? I do not want to start a fight, I am just asking for real curiosity and interest, and check whether or not I miss something.

7. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I drove Group 5 at 105% and could witness some really nice squirmishes between the AI drivers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I think the difference is then in the fact that Skybird used 96% and Don Rudi at 105% (same difficulty as me). At 105 i've sat back and enjoyed some fun AI. When I let my brother drive, at 85%, the AI are really hand holding and don't really make moves. But maybe that's not the case and just luck, who knows.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Premium is premium but only at the time you buy it, yeah, really, it is what it is, expensive!
    Your not alone feeling that way i can assure you, think about the guys that bought the base a year or two ago and then go on to buy cars n tracks totalling £$€100+ and see you come along and get it all for £$€60ish, now who`s being fleeced?

Its not a good system in reality, but is the game worth that extra couple of quid every month or two or after every update, for some yes for others hell no.

Me, i keep up mostly, i have tracks i have never driven, cars ive never even looked at, jeeze i dont even race half the time, bit of qually, bit of practice and the odd race. But the enjoyment i get on the whole is well worth the money i have spent, especially considering i have £100+ worth of other racing games that never get a look in, if i hadnt wasted that money i could have more beer and more beer can only be a good thing:innocent:

Its new news to new guys so its obviously gonna grate a bit!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  10. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    please not again the "i bought premium some weeks ago, why do I not get this content now?" discussion.... :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. Stef van Remy

Stef van Remy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I need to apologize for the infernal scream an hour ago ... so if anyone heard some yelling and maybe was harmed by it, it was me who screamed out loud my pleasure about this update....YEAHHHHHHH. Big fat tx to the devs !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I do not think so, because since I switched from adaptive AI to fixed AI 96% already several weeks ago, I had many AI-AI dogfights on display in all cars classes I drive, last time seen yesterday. I mostlky drive GT3, BMV 235i, BMW M1 Procar, Audi TT VLN, Formula 2, Formula 3, Tatuus, KTM. You can find several postings by me where I praised the biting dogfighting qualities of the AI, against me or against itself.

Since car-track combinatiosn imo also have soemthiognt o do with how the AI performs, it may be mor ebaoujt this, if about any of these factors at all.

After Georg Oretners recent stream I picke dup the Daytona Prototype again, two days ago, after a long time (mind you, that then was the old AI that I used, not the new one). Again at 96%. To my surprise I could easily defeat and leave behind other Daytonas. The AI is definitely varying in its competence with different cars. Usually 96%, with the before mentioned cars, has me fighting to stay in the middle of the pack. Winning most of the time not included. :)

Default settings, always. I only check for steering lock set to 17 (at 540° rotation).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  13. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    You may want to up the difficulty a few levels.
    This is based on only a few races in GT3, but by the looks of it, it seems the AI has gotten a wee bit slower, in some cases by as much as 1.5 seconds a lap.
    Whether this is a BoP thing, or if it's caused by the AI giving each other more space, or something else entirely, I couldn't even hazard a guess at this point. Way too small a data-set to come to any firm conclusions.

14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I am not about a lack of pace. I do not rate AI quality by maximum pace anyway, but by behaviour. I think the behaviour has changed. If they tuned the spartial awareness (I saw no necessity for that, btw), this might have had an impact on the way the AI decides if and how to pick a fight. And this might have a taming effect that I find very unwelcomed.

At the Nordschleife today I recognised no lack of pace, compared to how it was until yesterday. I always start with a field of 29 cars, and always start from position 25 (giving me two double rows of cars behind me). I ended where I usually always end with cars I mostly use: somewhere in the second quarter from the top of positions, mostly right in the middle of the pack.

15. Johnny Latebraker

Johnny Latebraker Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    No one gets forced to buy any Content. I spend Money from the beginning to push this company and i am looking forward for what is coming in the future. Til now i bought every content and i dont regret it. Holy crap what i spended on iRacing....now my account is deactivated because of R3E. IRacing is Not bad, but everytime i played it i was missing somethimg.
    So it is not about perfection, it is about passion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Fair enough. I misread the bit about winning with the Daytonas. :)

But as to overall AI behaviour, I'm not sure I agree with you.
    Again, this is very early days yet, but with the handful of races I've had time to do, I haven't noticed anything noticeably different.
    Or at least, not in the AI vs. player behaviour. If I leave a gap, the AI will most definitely go for it.
    AI vs. AI may be a different matter. I don't particularly think it is, since I'm still seeing AI vs. AI battles in my races.
    But I haven't actually been looking for it, so the frequency of said battles may be down.

17. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I've just purchased enough vrp for some stuff including Road America but when I go to checkout, it keeps saying display error occurred.
    It's sorted now

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  18. TopFord

TopFord New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And the shadows in VR are still not fixed. RR will not be getting any further money from me until they get fixed (I was really looking forward to buying this track).

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  19. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    That has been noted. It was thought to have been fixed. Report has been reopened.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. TopFord

TopFord New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Paul!!!