GTR3 Announced

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rodger Davies, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  2. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    no new news :) keep on pushing

3. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
  4. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    They're all doing ACC:p
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Vapor Ware. Been that for a while. A lot of us hope for more, but there's zero evidence of any real progress and it's been like that for months. Now with ACC coming out using the same UE4 engine that they were supposed to use....well, it doesn't look good. Hopefully i'm wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It's pretty amusing to see the reactions to ACC announcing UE4 tho, especially if you compare them to the reactions Simbin got when they announced they were gonna use it. Back then most "experts" were like "UE4 is the worst possible engine for a racing game" and now everyone seems to be over the moon.
    And this:
    It's not the first comment of that kind, so don't take this too personal, but I don't get the chain of thought. Just because Kunos announced to release a game built in UE4, that means there's no point for any other developer using the same engine as they did? That kinda contradicts the purpose of an open developing environment such as Unreal.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  8. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    I think people were reacting to what they were being shown, more so than the engine itself.
    From the few screens we've seen so far of ACC it seems like they're going for a very photorealistic look, which is what makes sense in a sim, while some of the screens shown for GT3, specially the day-time screens, had a certain look that is usualy identified as "gamey", with weird contrast and color balance.

Granted, the GT3 stuff shown so far was barelly more than very early proof of concept stuff and we're yet to see day time screens of ACC, but the reactions did made sense (in a "lets jump to conclusions" kind of way) considering what was/is being shown of each of the two sims.

Anyway, I hope ACC lights a fire under Simbin's asses and makes them work even harder to develop a good product to compete with Kunos... in the end, we all win :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    What's ACC ?
    (Ausser einem deutschen Schmerzmittel mit dem Zusatz "Akut" :) )

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I understand the thought process here. Kunos with assetto corsa is by many considered the #1 in PC sim racing. They certainly have a bigger market share than Simbin who hasn't released a game in many years. With ACC they target the exact same type of game as Simbin's GTR3 (at least what we suspect GTR3 will be) and with many diehard fans of Kunos this will probably take away some buyers from GTR3. Myself I will buy both since I get pretty much every good racing game, but it certain that ACC and GTR3 are competitors and I wouldn't be super happy about the announcement of ACC if I were invested in GTR3. But of course they can coexist and do well, but there is always better to have less competition if you look at it from a business point of view.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    :tearsofjoy: ... ACC - Assetto Corsa Competizione: https://www.assettocorsa.net/competizione/ ... just another "GTR3" competitor like "Project CARS 2" ... stand alone sims with expiration dates. They are not worth mentioning, just waste of money ...

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Unless compared to your competition you come out with the upper hand. ;)

I'd still say it's nonsense when people raise the impression of GTR3 being obsolete now that Kunos will release a game using UE4. I mean just look at the list of games released in Unreal, would anybody have told Gearbox Software that it's pointless to create Borderlands because there's already other first person shooters using UE?
    In the end I suspect most racing game/sim fans wouldn't mind spending money on ACC and GTR3 if both turn out to be good games/sims.

13. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    while not "obsolete" it's fair to compare the two being so extremely similar, focusing on the exact same group of people target the same class of cars. While the various shooters have different styles, different mechanisms etc. Now I agree what engine they use makes no difference in the discussion, but it makes for an interesting comparison nevertheless.

We know little about GTR3, but we do know that the common owner of simbin and s3s hasn't exactly thrown a lot of money at r3e to speed up development, on the opposite end Kunos made a shitload of money with AC and have a bigger gaming publisher backing this project. There is talent on both sides, but how deep your pockets go, makes a big difference for the overall success.

I'd like to have a 24h race split into multiple sections, so that mortals can play it like a season, and the special thing would be the permanent damage/car state. A racing game that gives us the duct tape experience that one can see so often at those 24 races...
    In multiplayer you could have people warming up a bit with the current state of their car and track position, and then "rewind" to the last position they had, so that the "start" is not that shocking, or some other trickery to make the re-entry less harmful when cars are close to each other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, so far there isn't an awful lot to compare on either sheet.
    And looking at just the past few years I'd say there's loads of variety possible in racing games and how they interpret the genre, which things they focus on. So sure, nothing against comparing, but proclaiming a champion before the race even started has failed more often than not. ;)

Agreed, I remember doing the endurance races in Gran Turismo 4, and how annoying it was that I had to leave the PS running for days so I could continue the race exactly as it was.
    Should be well doable these days, even if maybe restricted to just being able to save your race whilst in the pits..

15. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    agreed, there is a good deal of flexibility in the "game" surrounding the racing.

my point is that the race is already on, the screenshots, the hype you can generate for your product, your existing userbase. Those GTR3 screenshots have been early tests, but that's the only ones we have so far, it's part of the game to show what you are capable of. S3S did really good with their teasers so far (only got burnt by the time it took, but never the quality).
    I played more AMS and R3E than AC, but AC is the more successful product in the market.

16. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    You seem to be missing his entire point. And from what I have seen, I completely agree with @Christian Göpfert here.

When GTR3 was mentioned or announced... The reaction almost immediately seemed to be," UE4? Ewww, console downgrade and arcade physics. Will it even be a sim?!?!?!"

But with ACC using UE4, "Sweet, UE4 will let them do so much more, AND it will be a full sim that expands on what they already released!"

2 products announcing use of the same game engine, with immediately different community feedback.

And you might be unaware of this, or just mis-thinking this, but using ISI engine for physics doesnt mean they are using the ISI engine 2.0 source code from 2006... SimBin, before it turned into Sector3, has had the source code from early on and has developed it much on their own since then... with little original code remaining. So, it's as much their own thing now as many others. It would be more accurate to say the physics engine takes it's base from ISI engine and has since been developed for a decade since that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I think I'm better off not calling any names, but I remember very well certain, let's call em sim racing pundits questioning the virtue of using UE4 particularly when it comes to racing game development back when Simbin made their announcement, and none of that is to be heard right now. That's my main observation. Not even complaining, just slightly a- and bemused about that. ;)
    And the other thing is just this weird notion of "now with ACC on the way, why should Simbin even bother making another racing game using UE4", which baffles me, for the reasons I laid out above.
    I'm pretty sure code-wise it'd have to be the other way around as UE is the kinda sandbox environment you can put all kinds of stuff in. But anyway, I don't even see what's wrong with ISI or any derivate of it. RFactor and many other titles using it have been praised over and over for their physics modelling. Just as Kunos' engine, but both also have their critics, there are people who don't like each and every aspect of AC's physics either.. ;)

And while I don't really know how that relates to my original point, sadly I'm not an investor. But if I were I'm pretty sure I'd need (and have) more detailed information about all those things than what is in public circulation right about now before I would even consider putting money into either of those two projects.

18. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    You are right about the unjustified skepticism on the engine choice.
    Which physics need plumbing is also irrelevant like you say. Although I read that comment rather as technical skill demonstration, though yes there may be much more information about those capabilities of simbin we are unaware of (then again why...).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  19. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I think this thread got a little sidetracked. I'm sure we're all excited for both ACC and GTR3.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    For me it is not (just) about ACC using the UE4 engine. It is about ACC holding the Blancpain licence, thus the licence of THE most important GT3 series. I wonder what GTR3 wants to come up with to counter that? Furthermore they announced basically every feature that the community, spread over several racing games, requested. And - Kunos has proven they are able to secure car licences and publish a successful game.
    New SimBin on the other hand has so far released some UE4 study shots from the S3 team. Else? No features are mentioned, no series is mentioned, the website and facebook page are basically dead. It is a newly errected team, which has not published anything so far (please correct me if I am wrong). That is why I for one have little faith in ever seeing GTR3 coming to life. I will be more than happy, if the future proves me wrong.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1