iRacing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dale Junior, Jul 3, 2015.

1. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I only tested the Audi because I don't wanted to spend so much money just to test the Mercedes. And I somehow already had the Audi in my account (guess I bought it a while back?). Soundwise, regarding the Audi, raceroom is closer to reality than iRacing. Cannot talk about the other cars, but iRacing has pretty good sounds in general.

It could be a good sim if it hadn't the weird tyre behaviour, there's just no grip where it should be. You just cannot go the same corner speeds than real life, while raceroom hits the corner speeds pretty much on point. (Like Wolfgang Reip, 12h of Bathurst winner 2015, said: iRacing it's not the most realistic sim... and I think I know what he means)

In VR the Nordschleife looks pretty much the same, except that iRacing uses high Res photo textures for the grass and curbs. But the surrounding is pretty lifeless. Elevation looks the same in both sims.

I just cannot find a reason to justify the amount of money you have to put in it. No AI, only scheduled races, monthly fee, expensive cars and tracks, no real life liveries....

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    You are right, only a real driver can say something about corner speeds, I have never been in a real race car to say something about grib levels. Without g forces is even more difficult. With telemetry data it can be compared, real vs sim.
    VR is the best option to check elevations :) but why does iRacing looks so much steeper in 2d? This is what I see

3. Dirk Bachmann

Dirk Bachmann Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    It´s the only choice if you want to do the American Racing like Indycar/Nascar in Multiplayer i think.
    The Multiplayer System/Ratings is good, the population in this sim is also very good.
    The prices, however, bring tears to one's eyes ......

4. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I reactivated my old iRacing account yesterday for 3 months, just to test their Cup Porsche and Spa (my favourites in Raceroom and Assetto). 32,10 US$ for just one car and one track is pretty heavy - and people here complain about the "high prices" for Raceroom content...).
    The sound of the Porsche was quite nice, as was the outside model. Driving wise it has very little in common with neither the Cup Porsches in AC or Raceroom. There was just no mechanical grip and it felt like driving a road car.
    But what is bothering more is the track - lifeless, sterile, wrong colors (kerbs, astroturf and green areas). I certainly will not prolong the subscription.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    with the wrong colors its really strange, I saw it on Nicki Thiim's stream. No clue why its not red and yellow. I don't think that iRacing is that expensive by the way. Compared to other sims you get so much more features and they are running servers for us that costs money.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Since those tracks are laser scanned, you have to think about it a bit differently. In essence, they are taking a snapshot of the track at the moment in time that the scan data was created.

Since that is the case, the track you are racing on isnt the same as it currently is in 2018. It was created years ago, and represents how it was at that point in time. And as i recall, a number of years ago Spa had different colored kerbs.

Bit funny about the Laguna Seca thoughts though. IR's version is absolutely ancient. I have no idea how you think AC's version would rank last :p Personally, it is easily the best LS available right now. Now if there was some more appropriate content to race there... :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    32$ for one track and 1 car (without skins) is not expensive? The same combo is less than 9 Euros in Raceroom and people complain how expensive RR is?! For the servers they already ask a solid subscription fee. And unlike any other sim, once you do not prolong your subscription, all the paid content is lost.
    Yes, iRacing is the best sim in regards of online racing - no doubt about it. But what other features do they offer? No single player mode, no AI, very limited variety of road racing cars, limited number of non-US tracks.
    But I agree that it is the go-to sim for US racing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    AC might be more uptodate, but I meant the whole packet, experience is the best for me in iRacing. It looks so good. The textures are good, the sky looks photo realistic etc. Costs are always relative. A PS4 pro account is about 60€ a year. Nobody is forced to buy something :) I spent 17€ to see Star Wars in a cinema, just one session :) its the endless discussion about what is expensive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  9. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I hate iRacing and their broken software and staggering prices as much as the next nerd, but that's not really true. If your sub lapses, and you then start paying again, you still have all the stuff you bought.

10. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    broken software? perhaps only for developers like you :) a normal customer dont see it I guess. No issues at all so far, no stuttering like in raceroom at all. The whole interface is a bit too much old school but it works

11. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    well it took them months to even admit that iRacing no longer works with HTC Vive, and you don't need to be a developer to notice when the head tracking stops working for a few seconds every lap

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  13. mrs1986

mrs1986 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I used iRacing for a few months, it is good, but you need time to make it worth your money... It's a great hobby...

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Christoph

Christoph Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Can anyone explain to me why my two races from yesterday evening are not listed in my list of last 10 races.

( Global Mazda MX-5 Cup )

Normally, the last race will appear in the list shortly after the race. Currently I miss the last two races and more than 8 hours have passed. But my license status and iRating has been updated.

15. Timo Heyden

Timo Heyden Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what I should say....
    It's sooo sad...

Cause the LMP1 (Audi and Porsche) is coming for season 2 in 2018 iRacing will do a little adjustment in the IMSA series.
    From the season 2 the IMSA will only have the DPs and GT3 cars.

A new series the iRacing Endurance Series will be created with the new LMP1 cars and the two GTEs...
    A series with longer and team races. But no driver changes are required.

I hope that the most iRacers are hate this change and the IMSA stay as it is! #saveIMSA

Whats your opinion about this?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Timo Heyden

Timo Heyden Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    So iRacing listened to all members..

IMSA will stay as it is.
    There is a new series coming which names "iRacing LeMans Series" with LMP1, LMP2 (HPD), GTE
    and a iRacing LeMans Endurance Series with distance over 2h, 4h, 6h, 8h, etc.

The ProtoGT will change there name to GT Challenge Series with the GT1 and GT2 cars

17. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    The IndyCar Dallara IR-18, Limaland Motorsports Park and The Dirt Track at Charlotte are coming ...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  18. Adam Jonas

Adam Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    I swear to God that people respecting the rules and their opponents much more in R3E than in iRacing...

Probably you know, it is Week 13 in iRacing, which is a "fun" week, but ahh...I can't believe the stupidy of people!

So keep it going Sector3, R3E has a good & fair community ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Christoph

Christoph Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    The Porsche 911 GT3 Cup races have completely disappeared after yesterday's update?

20. Aspius

Aspius Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I don' think they have a week 13 series for the porche cup. Will be back to normal next week though when the new season starts.

What series do you normally run? Cause I know that some series are better or worse then others when it comes to clean racing.

I normally run in the Gran Touring Cup and that is generally clean. Ofcourse things happen from time to time but it's racing, it comes from driving on the limit.

• Like Like x 1