R3E Reality Check

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dale Junior, Dec 4, 2015.

1. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    @Patrick Schilhan It's easy to overestimate usabiliy of those marketing slides. There is a good deal of custom work for games that makes this model creation not as simple as your images suggest.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
  3. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Unless you can prove that the virtual car and the real car are in the exact same spot, facing the same direction with the exact same angle, and then same thing for the camera, then this entire argument is kinda silly.

A very small difference in the angle of rotation of the car and/or camera (not to mention the probability that one car might be further ahead in the track than the other) could be enough to account for what you see on that picture.

Also, in the real car there is some lens distortion going on that changes the angle of the entire right side of the image (which to some extent could also explain the apparent difference in the size of the mirror).

Not saying that everything is perfect, there might be some inaccuracies indeed, but your method will take you nowhere close to find them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Slovakia Ring

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dale Junior

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    EuroSpeedway Lausitz

... my home track. :hearteyes: Great new stuff with an amazing accuracy ... but not faultless. And again: We need the laser scan technology in R3E and all these problems are things of the past. - We don't complain us about your work Sector 3, but we want that R3E become the number one racing sim, so all "negative" posts here are just references to improvements! Thank you guys for your hard work. We trust in you!

Dear track guys / @Sector3 / @Alex Hummler team, pls fix these flaws / rework the track faults. Thx.

1. Flaw @0:44 - wrong elevation in turn 7 and at the beginning of turn 8 (track infield below the oval part)
    2. Flaw @0:59 - wrong elevation on the straight between turn 8 and 9 (shorter downhill section)
    3. Flaw @1:12 - wrong dimensions of the main-grandstand (different angles between the upper and lower stands)
    4. Flaw @1:44 - wrong heights dimensions of the stands in the oval turns (lower basement structure)

Eurospeedway01.png Eurospeedway02.png Eurospeedway03.png Eurospeedway04.png

... like I already said:

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  6. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    One that should really get a "reality check" is algarve. I hope it gets (eventually) re-visited. It seems like a lot of the elevation changes are off.
    Excuse the bad driving.

• Like Like x 5
  7. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Well done! Sunlight never looks really sunny in RaceRoom. The reflections on the hood are to strong in RaceRoom, I guess the shader does not use Fresnel reflections.

8. Dale Junior

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Well done buddy. Really like it! Please give us a HD-version ... there are a lot of tracks, which need a first-time / re-visit by Sector 3.

9. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    It was fresh, was still uploading =). 1080p now ready.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dale Junior

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps

@Xon3 too late buddy :D ... ;). Great video again! :cool:

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  11. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    I have a bunch more going to post them soon :D thankfully lots of footage with the amg gt3 cause it's one of the few gt3 cars i have.

EDIT !!! one thing i noticed when doing the video. The finishline is under the bridge in raceroom and and a bit back "in real life". Not 100% sure whats up.

12. David Peres

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Looking at those videos I'm more concerned about the differences in the driving imputs and not so much in the small visual differences. You can see the real driver is always doing some adjustments when cornering to prevent oversteer, but in Raceroom everything is very smooth. Apparently the cars in RR are still a bit too planted, even after the great physics update from last year. Guess there's a reason why my laptimes are slightly less embarrassing in Raceroom when comparing with Assetto or Automobilista :oops:

Also in this recent video Jan Seyffarth also mentions something about RR being too stable (I don't speak German, but I can understand some words when it sounds similar to English, so it seems like that's what he's saying at some point in the video...).

Edit: After watching the videos again it seems like in the Portimão video the inputs are actually very close to the real thing... it's only on the Spa comparison that the game car looks more planted than the real one.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  13. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    SOME IMPORTANT NOTES !
    First, i am a slow driver. It's just the reality of things, my best spa and portimão time are 5 secs off the quickest guy... Actually make that 7 seconds on Spa.
    Second, the first guy is an amateur driver (or semi-pro) and is driving the car for the first time. The second guy also doesn't have much experience on the car and its testing days. Also on Spa he is clearly using less wing than me cause he is way quicker on the straights but i am quicker in the middle sections . I am also racing on the leaderboard that has optimum track grip. I know for a fact that portimão isn't used that much so i doubt it has a lot of rubber on it too.
    I think its unfair to use my videos to compare the driving, and this is coming from a guy that complains a lot about raceroom here on the forums :rolleyes:.

• Like Like x 1
  14. David Peres

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Noted... it's just something I noticed in my own playing as well, that I'm generally much smoother and can get away with more mistakes on Raceroom than on other sims, but lately I've been playing more RR than all my other sims combined so maybe it's just becouse I got used to it :D

Anyway, you did an amazing job on those videos :)

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  15. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    The graphics are bad IRL. :O
    So, it's a bit difficult to compare it, at some places. But it looks pretty much the same :eek:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Much Fast Such Furious

Much Fast Such Furious New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You commenting on the realism of the game based on the smoothness of the steering inputs is honestly just nonsensical in general. Plenty of drivers have different driving style. I've seen all kinds of people driving very differently both in real life and in raceroom. Some people are gentle with their inputs whereas other people like to saw the wheel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. David Peres

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so using those videos to prove anything wasn't very smart of me, I give you that, but in the quote you just posted it should have been obvious that this is an opinion I have based on my own experience with different sims: I find that cars in AMS or AC will usually dance about a bit more than in RR, where they tend to be more predictable.

Does that make RR more or less realistic than the others? I don't know. It's just something I notice so I pointed it out. As far as I'm concerned I love how the cars feel in Raceroom so I wasn't trying to bash the game.

18. Much Fast Such Furious

Much Fast Such Furious New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I wasn't trying to imply that you were bashing the game or anything. It's just that I've seen the line of argumentation before that IRL drivers seem to be driving differently than sim drivers and the conversation often gets weird after that point. People start to conclude that the sim isn't realistic because of too little/too much steering input which is a bit silly when you consider the various reasons why that may be - some of which have already been mentioned. I just wanted to make sure we weren't going to go down that route, you know?

R3E definitely isn't a perfect sim though. Some cars feel great and others feel pretty weird or just downright wrong. GT3 cars in general are actually quite planted in real life though and I feel they're one of the things R3E does right. GT3 cars are specifically designed to be easy to drive (they are bought by many customer teams for amateurs to race with, after all). They have ABS and traction control, on top of having quite a fair bit of downforce. I know it's very common for some sims to make these cars difficult to drive because of the undying belief that race cars should always be "hard to drive" but it isn't always like that.

19. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    One more done. Real footage is a bit old. Looks like lot has changed. Really cool track, easy to learn =).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Dale Junior

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    ... wtf :eek: ... that was fast buddy :cool: