Mclaren 650S GT3 steering wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HoiHman, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Svennixx

Svennixx Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Just got notified from home that my packages from fanatec have arrived :) 650s rim and quick release. 2 months after the first said release date.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Onaflyer

Onaflyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    How is it? Build quality, size, feel weight etc

3. Svennixx

Svennixx Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Its light but sturdy so far. No squeaks or cracking noises while playing on almost max forcefeedback without clipping. Very nice button quality. Love the paddle shifters, the throw is very small on them. Rubber grips are well rubber grips but the real one has them as well so i won't complain about that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Monty

Monty Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I like It :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    1082218B-A133-4769-A558-F671E7A71274.jpeg Its a interesting bag here. It feels very cheap, looks very nice, super light, good size, great functions, very good price point (quick release needed in my opinion), I actually like the rubber at this price point as I won’t be using gloves with this wheel.

The only real issue I have is the clutch. It’s pretty flimsy and plastic - feels bad and looks to be the only weak point for failure.

At this price point it’s a no brainer though.

NathanW

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  6. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    Already enjoying this new wheel for two days now. Anyone already figured out how to map the two 12-way switch knobs to e.g. TC/ABS in its full function?. Now I've mappes one up one down.

This is really value for money (and the pre-orders like me were lucky with the free QR clamp).
    Not sure if I will use the plastic clutch paddles as they are intended. Someone else already suggested to use themfor e.g. flash light and pitlimiter. Worth trying.

For the reasonable amount of €179 we cannot expect real carbon fiber but this plastic with carbon 'look' is good quality.

OLED display is a joy for the eyes until I put on my virtual goggles.

And I have to train my thumbs to push the dome buttons ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  7. Svennixx

Svennixx Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    They are currently not supported in RaceRoom. But the devs told me they will support them in the near future. Other stuff has the priority.

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Lets hope its the very near future, this wheels is going to sell well and fast..

9. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Just got mail from UPS: delivery tomorrow ! :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    @Fanapryde give us the low down on it when you try it out..;)

11. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Dang..! o_O
    Just got mail from UPS that delivery (due today) is postponed until monday 30th...
    For some reason the packages arrived in Tilburg (NL) this morning

12. BrianBosch

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    That's because I live in Tilburg :p

Tilburg is home for some of the largest DC's and a logistic HUB for a lot of big Global/EMEA companies. My guess: first batch of these McLaren GT3 wheels was sent via Fanatec warehouse and the big bulk comes via the Rotterdam Harbour or Schiphol Airport and then often Tilburg comes in place.

And today is the so called Kings day in the Netherlands and that means a kind of collective day off. Guess that's the reason for your delay?

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Hail the King ! :cool:
    My wheel was also sent via Fanatec warehouse, which is why I was so surprised to read it arrived in Tilburg...

Edit: even more strange...
    The wheel was just delivered by UPS, but he had only one package.
    So as it seems, the second package (the CSW Quick Release) made it's way to the Netherlands. At least, that's what I figure has happened...

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  14. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    My 2 cents: I am picky person, but rim does not feel cheap to me. The only bittersweet thing, no vibration motors.

My two favorite things about it: dimensions (reason I bought it) and paddles (with short travel I really like them)

BTW, I've run into complication but resolved it: if you use buttons in the Crew Chief (for example, talk to Crew Chief), set Multi-position switch to either 11 positions or Off, because otherwise rim periodically sends button press for position 1.

upload_2018-4-27_14-16-24.png

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  15. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Well, the I am probably more picky than you.;)
    Honestly, I'm really not impressed. At first glance it looks good, the fake carbon is OK (though I like the Formula Carbon better). Dimensions are exactly what I hoped for.
    The funky switch is not metal like on my two other wheels, it's plastic.
    The paddle shifter is very short (has a very short range too) and it will take some time to get used to. The 'click' is rather 'undefined'. They can be operated either by pulling or pushing on both sides, which is great, but pushing them without gloves can/will damage your fingers, gloves needed.
    The grips are...well...rubber. It was said they would be as IRL... I hope the rubber is strong enough but I doubt that.
    The 'clutch' levers are plastic, the 'open' end directed towards you, which make them look really cheap.
    It is light, very light. I thought they had only sent me the box when I got it from UPS. Maybe the lightness is a good thing for the CSL Elite base, which is not as strong as the V2/V2.5. I prefer the weight of the Formula Carbon (and the Porsche 918).

Since I only got the wheel (the QR still has to come) I did not test it. Really, I don't thrust that CSL connection.

The buttons feel OK, the two large ones on top marked N and P need a VERY firm push to activate them. Since they have both a protection collar I don't really see the need for that.
    The two '12 click' rotary dials feel OK. As far as I know atm, they can not be used (yet) to command TC or BB (or something alike), at least that is what I read on the forums. They have a small window, showing the position number. Right, if you have a light spot and a magnifier glass...

I miss the analog joystick !? Don't use it in RR, but I do in all other sims to look around in the cockpit.

When my QR arrives next monday, I can test the wheel. But for now I'm rather dissapointed.
    I know they all are, but comparing the McLaren with both CSW's (Formula Carbon and Porsche 918 RSR), the McLaren feels like a toy. I'd take either CSW wheel to drive a real car, I would not even think about using the CSL McLaren for that.

Just my 2cts...to be continued... :rolleyes:

When the Podium series hit the market, I sincerely hope they have a better made GT3 wheel. Then this one will probably accompany the V2 base to a new owner...
    That is, IF the Podium base meets it's expectations. If not I will take the OSW direction.

PS: yes, there are no vibration motors. I knew that and though I will miss them dearly, I heard that the Podium wheels won't have these rumble motors either (as it seems not needed because of the DD behavior (?)

• Informative Informative x 3
  16. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Yeh don't understand that, surely they are different to connecting a button box with a rotary dial on it, but then what do I know.

Most things you have spoke about is what I noticed watching vids, the size does look better, the clutch paddles as you said from the front do make it look cheap even on a vid, maybe it's weight saving..lol, the weight is a good thing I would of thought especially if you are going to use on the V2.5 just means you can turn down the strenght, I have the Formula rim and the BMW GT2, and the BMW rim is far to heavy, and numbs some of the FFB, the Formula room is abit to small, the loss of motors in the rim for me is a corcern, also I have SRm shifters on formula rim which I love and a set of snap shifters from them as well on the BMW rim to give that a better response and feel, so the ones on the Maclaren again are another concern, for me need to see more reviews, but for the price it was never going to be high grade rim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BrianBosch

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    I also noticed that Jim constantly asked to repeat and could not hear what I asked. Yes but I'm not pushing and hold any button?? We had a full argue over the radio :) Aaaah the rotary switch. Took me some time to figure out it was the rotary switch. I also reconfigured the same as you did TheIronWolf. Curious when and which sims will fully support these 12-way swithces in the short time period? I guess R3E, AC Competizione,

Indeed Fanapryde the two dome buttons require some extra thumb excercises. I mapped them to two functions which can be handy but not often used. E.g. change camera (as I 99.9% race in cockpit view anyway).

The grip in the thick rubber handles is great. With VR goggles it needs extra practicing to find, touch & feel each button.But that's obvious. For future sim development it would be nice when you touch a button that also your virtual hand makes the same move. Or like the touch controllers make a touch sensitive wheel. Just an idea

I think the aim with this wheel is a larger audience who are rather beginning and new to simracing. Maybe in combination with the CSL ELite/PS4/GTSport? In my opinion it offers great value for money. €179 was the pre-order price. Will it remain the same? And many of us got a QR for free. When I have to spend €279 I think it is better to go for the BMW GT2 wheel. Over time I will buy the Porsche 918 wheel but that's 2,5x the price of this McLaren rim so I expect 2,5 better quality ;)

18. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    The CSW Quick Release made a deturn via the Netherlands and arrived a few days later than planned. Since I did not really thrusted the strength of the CSL mount on my V2 (maybe underserved, I have no experience with it), I waited for the QR to test the McLaren CSL wheel.
    Some of my impressions and findings after 5 hrs of testing.

First: the weight.
    The wheel felt incredible light compared to my other two CSW wheels. As it turned out, most of that difference comes from the CSW QR. When equipped with the QR, the McLaren is only 20 grams lighter than the Formula Carbon.
    This being out of the way:

The good points:

- Shape and dimensions are really ideal for driving GT3 cars. For me so much better than the Formula, even for open wheelers.
    - Once attached to the base, the plastic housing feels surprisingly good. It does not bend, it does not crack, it's pretty solid. The fake carbon finish does not even disturbe me any more. The wheel will look good on any rig.
    - The new OLED display is nicer than the 'old' ones on my CSW wheels. It is more clear and gives better info about the settings.
    - The wheel comes equipped with X-box style button covers, but includes a set of 'more real' covers that can be changed easily.
    - There is even a set of stickers included to clarify what the buttons do (be it a little small).

The not so good (some even bad) points:

- The 'balancing' shifter paddle may be a good idea, but as it is now it is not good or practical because just too heavy to operate (probably because the very short shift distance. I tried to measure as good as I could and as it turns out the force needed to change gears is 1.3 kg (push or pull is obviously the same). That may not sound bad, but compared to both CSW paddles (Porsche 918 and Formula Carbon) it is not something you want, especially in longer races. The CSW's shift at 3-400 grams.
    No big deal ? I automatically started using two and even three fingers (while I use one on the CSW shifters). Pushing the levers is even more difficult and without gloves rather painful after a while. Yesterday I ended up racing a 20 lap race (no gloves) and I was glad the race was over. My fingers still hurt as I am typing this.
    - The two N and P buttons with safety collars: WAY to heavy to push, really. I mean, they are not that hard when you just try 'em out, but pushing them while driving is virtually only possible when on a straight and when you have some time. A quick push while steering into a corner is a no go. I used the P as pit limiter and by the time I managed to actually push the button I already had a speeding penalty.
    - The two rotary buttons may very well be a good idea for the future, but as long as the sims don't fully support that kind of input, they are rather useless.
    - Button layout. I will start specifying that if you only use one wheel, the following may not be important. Using three wheels atm is rather dramatic. I can swap from the Formula to the Porsche without issues (though the button layout is not exactly the same but all functions are there). Swapping to the Mc Laren is more demanding. I have (e.g) look left/right/up/down mapped to the joystick on the CSW wheels. The McLaren does not have a joystich and the result is that when I start driving I'm looking throught the right window, while my dash is now visible on the right monitor (in all sims). The only way to avoid that is going into the different UI pages and delete the view functions. Then the view is OK. I could map the views to four other buttons (or levers, since the two extra paddles can be used for two functions) , but that would interfere too much with the settings for my other wheels. Fanatec should have thought about that...
    - The wheel feels more bland than my other wheels, no doubt this is because the lack of rumble motors.

Neutral points:

The rubber grips: hopefully they are strong enough to last. The feel is not too bad, but to be comfortable you need to wear gloves. After a (short) while your (my) hands geat sweaty (something I never experienced on my other two wheels) and the grips don't feel comfortable any more.

I miss the rev lights. I know I can see them (when present and visible, depending on the view) on the dash, but on the wheel they helped me to determinate the position of the wheel in thight corners. I can't remember ever miss-shifting before because of that and now with the McLaren wheel I had it happen several times during night time, pulling the wrong paddle.

Fanatec should have covered the front of the extra paddles, really ugly and cheap looking as they are now.

When I started I had a kind of ticking sound when turning the wheel. I though there was something loose somewhere and it took me some time to locate it. It was the locking screw for the CSL connection, located in the housing of the allen key in the back of the wheel. I removed the whole thing (don't need it anyway) and the sound was gone.

If you are going tu use only one wheel, it can be certainly worth buying it.

For me: all in all, I am not completely happy with this purchase. I will pack the wheel and wait for the Podiums to come (along with the Direct Drive base.

Guys, remember, this is just my opinion, but I wanted to share....;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
  19. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Cheers for the your thought @Fanapryde, out of all of that the one thing that bothers me still, like you, is the bland feeling, we've been spoilt with the motors in the wheels, think I wait till the GT rims appear.

20. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Mine did not come with stickers? About 20 individual buttons most of which are labeled for a Xbox with maybe 2 being useful for sim racing/gt3 car. What did your stickers look like? Would love to see them if you have a second.

NathanW