PLAYSEAT EVOLUTION worth the money ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stef van Remy, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Stef van Remy

Stef van Remy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Heyho,

as I was playing with a beanback which gave me every time a bit of another position I want to change to something more reliable due to the sitting position.

Is the Playseat Evo worth the money or does anyone have an advise for me ? I do not want to spent much more than the PS Evo but the one you advise me rocks (not much more expensive but much better) I could change my mind.

A bit of a prob could be my TV (50 inches) which is just 59 cm above the ground.

2. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I have the Evolution Alcantera and it's better than the wobbly office chair. It's fine structurally and holds my Fanatec CSL Elite pretty good with a 2mm shim under the T crossbar. It came with a bunch of velcro, maybe I was supposed to shim with that? The center post is tight in the pedal area. If you only drive with 2 pedals and offset a little to the right it's good.

My only big complaint is that the seat back on mine has no foam so the metal spring stabs me in the spine at roughly arm pit height. After a very painful night trying to get used to it, I moved the seat back and put a bed pillow behind me and it's good now. Of course I look like a hillbilly now.

If I were to buy again, I would be looking at the GT Omega Art with the upgrade seat or the Next Level F1GT. The F1GT being the only one that will go as low as your TV. I'm sure there could be others out there, but I'm a cheap bastard and $500 would be my max budget.

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I've some older Playseat Evolution with alcantera, but it seems very similar to current Evolution. I use it with CSW 2.5/CSS 1.5/CSP 3. It beats racing in an office chair for sure. I was at some point using it in front of 58" TV, that was rather low.

The great thing about it is compactness. Back of the seat folds, pedals' pole slides in and I can hide it in the storage to make my living room look better. However, if space/aesthetics is not a concern, I would rather buy something bigger/solid. Playseat is really weak in my opinion, does not feel sturdy, especially with heavy CSW and CSS. I had to reinforce every single part (apart from seat itself which is ok) with tape :D and extra screws. Making shifter steady was especially big pain.

That said, it's great for my use, where there's no dedicated gaming room and not much space.

4. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    GT Omega has good and priceworthy cockpits.

5. DomiGruen

DomiGruen Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

I have the Playseat Alcantara with a Logitech G27 and it works good for me. It's not the hardest or sturdiest but I use it really often and I think it's worth its price. Downside is that you have the srut between your legs but after you configured everything on the seat to your liking, it's really okay.

The Playseat is pretty low so that I guess that the low TV won't be a big issue. I use a 27" display on a very low IKEA table which works great for me.

Best regards,
    Dominik

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I have a Playseat Evo Alcantara and have done since April last year. I have just ordered a Simetik K2 due to the single bar and flex in the pedal plate. This however doesn't come with a seat. Therefore I am hoping to use my Playseat seat in the interim until I can afford a better, more supportive and adjustable seat... I might even buy a normal car seat...

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Stef van Remy

Stef van Remy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all this input. I gave it a try. Already in use and it is really ok. Can not complain about anything right now.

Cool to have the same pos for each session now.

• Like Like x 3
  8. DomiGruen

DomiGruen Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Great to hear. Enjoy it :)

9. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I have the Revolution. Only complaints I have is height of the seat. And then mainly the lack of it for my 1.89 meters.

And having it for about 8 months the lack of padding and it’s natural wear (becoming a tad thinner and less firm) begins to break me up when I’m sitting down for longer sessions.

That said, what can you expect for that amount of money. Minor cons to me which I perfectly can life with. I use it with a Sim-Lab triple stand.

Price and performance are in good balance imho. Enjoy!

10. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Do not you dare to make a PVC cockpit?
    I am in the process of finishing mine, and i am loving it.

11. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Making a PVC rig was not my problem. The bigger issue was that after removing the passenger seat from my Mazda 3, my wife refused to sit on a milk crate.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    A bit of an old topic but I’m about replacing my playseat challenge.
    What is the difference between the Playseat Evolution and the Playseat Revolution? Is one better build than the other? The Revolution is a 50€ more expensive.

13. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    The midpole. see: https://www.playseatstore.nl/alle-game-stoelen.html

I've had the Alcantara Evolution. To be honest: I think the midpole is an obstacle when braking.
    I would go for a rig without a midpole. I've read (no personal experience) the Simetek is good value for money??

• Like Like x 1
  14. Olijke Poffer

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I’ve had a Wheelstand Pro. This one had a midpole as well. I did not had any problems with it to be honest but will investigate the Simetek as well.

15. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
  16. Olijke Poffer

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    It will be an Evolution as the Revolution is very unstable. I have watched some comparison vids and the Evolution is much more stable. Although the wheel plate will need to have some support to prevent it bending to much while braking.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I have to say the revolution is quite nice. Free access to the pedals. That was the decisive pro for me. Downside is getting in and out of the chair. But in the meantime I’ve modified the frame. I have made a frame out of 44 by 94 mm wooden beams. I’ve used the 94 mm in height and 44 mm in width. So the seat is on a more reasonable height and not so low on the ground. I’ve ditched all the pedal parts mounting parts (and the whole “beam” under the seat) and made wooden frame for it with a height of 44 mm and on it a 6 mm multiply plate on which the pedals are mounted. It gives the seat more of a GT feel than the stock “in between” of GT and F1.

And on stability I really think it doesn’t matter that much. I’ve never experienced any serious play, woble or instability in the way the steering is mounted. Though it will never have the same stability of a rigid alu 40mm rig which will have no play and or woble at all ;).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Olijke Poffer

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    The midpole is not a problem for me. The playseat is the only rig I can afford, or better the max I want to spent on.
    I got a tip that RaceRoom has a rig in the store as well but as I do not see any good reviews on this one I don’t know if it is wise to buy it.
    It is the Game Seat RR3055.

19. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
  20. Olijke Poffer

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I have seen the Simetik indeed. But I don’t like the looks of it. Plus I need a separate chair as well so it will be over budget.. nevertheless thanks for the heads up of course.