Fanatec Podium Series

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gopher04, May 31, 2018.

1. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    1500$ ? For the 20nm base without wheel ?? (SimuCube 20NM 969€)

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    the Accuforce is $1300 MSRP with wheel, ($900 base only) but only 13nm vs $1500 and 20nm for Fanatic, the Richmotech base is $1200 also 13nm, and the 20.5nm Bodnar is $4469
    the 18nm fanatic wheel should come in around the same MSRP as the Accuforce, but with stronger feedback, and the ability to use the wheel, or wheel's you already own, I mean why would you need another wheel if you already have a Fanatic 2.5 base? that is who the target market is, people who just want to upgrade from a 2.5 Fanatic base right? and people with the money to buy a DD base probably have more than one wheel, making the $200 savings on the Accuforce with its one wheel moot,
    however if you are building a rig from the ground up, the Accuforce is a nice option

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    1 thing one should not forget is how the feel of the motor is. Direcr Drive =!= Direcr Drive. There's a noticable difference between a Bodnar V2, MiGe motors and particularly the Accuforce. It's not about Nm, it's all about how sharp the feedback is delivered and if it feels notchy or not. I wouldn't jugde about the price before testing the system.

And Fanatec is simply plug and play, no hassle with SimCommander or similar software. And with Fanatec gear you don't hit any max. controller limit in older games because wheel, shifter, handbrake and pedals are seen as 1 device. The display on the motor to detect FFB clipping is also nice to have, as well as the redundant USB cord.

:)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Nobody have had it in hands, but some are moaning about it.
    This is very dumb behavior guys. Calm down, wait and see.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    If you have to money and want to spent it on such wheel, buy it. If not then not. Leave it. It is a lot of money but hey, an Auston Martin db9 is not cheap as well and still it is bought by people. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Stuff is worth what people are willing to barter for it. To me, this would not be worth it even if I were millionaire: its just a game I am playing, not the meaning of life. I could get a real car for that price tag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Indeed but with a real car in that price tag you won’t be able to lap at spa in a reasonable laptime. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I know somebody from my university days who bought a car for 900 D-Marks (=450 Euro) in the late 90s, then travelled with it across all of the Eurasian continent to India, stayed there and travelled that place intensely for two years, and then travelled back the whole route. The car was wrecked after several years of more operation in Germany. It was a VW. Cold or hot places, wet or dry places: the car kept rolling.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Virtual Apex

Virtual Apex Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Will RaceRoom have support for the DD2 by the December shipping date?

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. M-Bimmer

M-Bimmer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Well 1.5 K with whicever wheel would have been kinda acceptable or just 1 to 1.1 K without a wheel.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    The price isn't terribly shocking as Thomas had already hinted at what the price was going to be based on feedback on his forum. I personally was in the market for a new base and liking fanatec equipment I was interested in buying one but since my v1 died I can' wait till December. Picked up the v2.5 last week.
    Ffb is strong. Can' possibly use more as my arms will fall off.:D

13. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    The price of the DD2 is reasonable. Years back if I had to choose between OSW and Fanatec DD2, I probably would have bought the Fanatec wheelbase.

It's like mentioned before, it's not all about NM but also how the FFB is delivered .

Fanatec has a very big advantage with their complete lined up of peripherals and steering wheels, you can connect them all to the base and still play legacy games or even Xbox games.

But... A couple of years ago I bought an AccuForce and it's the last wheelbase I will ever buy. 13nm is more than enough for me and the ability to manually tune and add effects independent from the game FFB is amazing.

If Fanatec comes up with a driverpackage that supports something like that, it can easily become one of the best DD wheels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    After all the waiting, that "announcement" (pretty lousy video too) is all they came up with.
    Telling people there will two bases available end of the year...
    Feels like a complete letdown to me.
    Which led me to order a OSW set (will be delivered within 10 days) and a new dedicated custom steering wheel from SSRG.
    I had good sim days with Fanatec stuff, but this....:confused:

• Like Like x 2
  15. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't be quick to say Fanatec is just plug and play without software hassle. Admitting SC4 can be cumbersome at times, but my old Fanatec wheel had onboard settings that made zero sense to me.

The only neat thing I see about this offering is that the electronics are all integrated into the hub, eliminating the need of the '2nd box' all the other DD wheels have. Personally I don't mind, my Accuforce box is behind my projector screens out of the way, but that is really the only evolution I see here.

16. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I don’t think the DD2(1) will be that successful on the market. Thomas said it’s for the ‚mass market‘ and therefore it’s easy to install, to embed it into the Fanatec eco system and no external software is needed. But what is this ‚mass market‘, who are these customers that are interested in a 1.500 Euro DD wheel? In my opinion that are simracers like me, having a CSW v2, CSP v2, a CSS 1.5.... but if I look at my further ambitions/investments to step up to high end, it will be some Heusinkveld pedals and a DD with an Ascher wheel. So there is no advantage of the Podium series DD2. The Heusinkvelds are plugged in separately and for a custom wheel I have no chance to get it working. I’m not bashing Fanatec or something like that, I’m really fine with my setup, but just compare a Fanatec rim to an Ascher or Turn rim... it’s kind like night an day. This perfection is not offered by Fanatec. So why should I even pay more for a DD2 than e.g. a Simucube? The ones stepping up to high end don’t care about plugging in their components directly to the base or setting up external software. It’s about freedom to customize the high end hardware, just look at the high end rigs made of aluminum to make adjustments possible...
    Ok, I haven’t taken into account the ‚outroller engine‘ and its advantages in my critics, but I can’t imagine, that it’s that drastically better in its performance (to outweight the price and disadvantages)... and the display is just a nice toy. In every sim it’s just a key press to show a clipping window and the force and temperatures shown are... not so necessary?!
    So these are just my thoughts about the Podium DD2 and yes, I was disappointed by the live stream/announcement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0

Looks like things have changed a bit...

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    ok these new informations will change the game

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Imo it would have been a lot wiser if Fanatec had added this to the 7/13 'announcement' video (which was really a joke, literally).
    Anyway, I decided to take to OSW path. Not looking back now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  20. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I cant help it but this video gives me the impression of a not really undesperate emergency measure and a good dose of weaseling...

Sorry, not convincing. Before, I just was not interested. Now, my alarm light suddenly started to blink.