Problem Massive FPS Drops

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by kL1ck, May 14, 2018.

1. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    BTW in relation to that Afterburner issue, I've tried the power monitoring stuff someone mentioned here, but it didn't do anything for me. But it seems that setting the OSD rendering mode to Vector 2D from the default Vector 3D for the 64bit executable might have solved the issue for me (which happens even if the OSD isn't displayed at the moment). I need more time to test it to be sure, but it looks promising so far.

Though I obviously can't tell you why Vector 3D seems to work just fine with the 32bit executable.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    For me it is too hot to race atm. 38celcius. After the weekend it will be a little bit cooler. I hope cool enough to race again. Bynthat time I will test your finding..

3. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Will try that out and observe. Wasn't sure of the difference before, but mine was set by default to Raster 3D.

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Regarding the files you attached here, that crash was caused by CAM_Overlay_x64.dll, a pc monitor program from Nzxt. Do you use that (regularly)?

5. Andreas Kaercher

Andreas Kaercher New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had the same problems. After playing Multiplayer Offline Race i had stuttering (Rubber Banding) every two seconds, though the game was unplayable.
    The weeks before, i only played online racing (SRS) without any problems.
    After google search, i tried the solution as shown in the video (Change the screen resolution in the Raceroom settings) and in my case, it helped.

Hardware is a Intel Core I7, Geforce 1080TI, 28" Inch Monitor (2560x1080), Fanatec CSL Racing Wheel

6. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for sharing. I'll try a different res as mine's already been changed from 1080 down to the lowest 720.
    OT: What's Multiplayer Offline (like local server)?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Are you possibly also using some software that uses overlays to display some info, or maybe some recording/streaming program?

@sherpa25 just fyi, I've forwarded your logs as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Well, nevermind. Just happened again tonight.

9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    CSWv2 , CSR Elite pedals .

10. PicoBp

PicoBp Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thrustmaster TX, T3PA pedals, SHH 7R shifter

11. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    In case you or devs need another set, here are the logs for the most recent occurrence.

Attached Files:

12. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Well, seems I have finally found a way to avoid that stutter with 64bit R3E and Afterburner - disable fullscreen optimizations for the 64bit .exe. I did some 45 minutes of practice today and the stuttering never happened.

32bit executable works fine even with fullscreen optimizations, though.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I played RaceRoom today after a 3 month break and shortly after starting a practice session I noticed the extreme stutter too. The last time it happened was after loading a replay. The framerate was at constant 144 fps according to Afterburner, GPU load was 50% - 70%, CPU load 50% (6 cores). The fact that it happens even in replays and that the hardware is not at 100% utilization makes me wonder... o_O

I'm still using Windows 7 and disabling fullscreen optimization isn't possible there so I think it has nothing to do with it. Just saying.

14. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Out of curiosity has anybody done a fresh reinstall of their operating system to see if that solves the problem?
    I had a similar problem with battlefield 4 and a fresh OS install solved the problem.

There are soooo many variables when trying to problem solve these sort of issues.
    A fresh OS install can eliminate conflicting software issues and as you start reinstalling software (trying the game in between each install) you may find the problem.

15. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    A very timely question...
    Sure enough, I had to format my computer this week and after a fresh reinstalation of everything the game is now running smooth as butter, without any problems whatsoever :)

However I'm now feeling slightly paranoid that any day now I'll start the game and the slideshow from hell will be back :eek:

16. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Windows system restore and backup is your friend

But your experiance highlights the issue that every software developer has...how can they trouble shoot an issue like this when it’s more than likely some other peice of software/hardware clashing that was installed by the end user. Once identified the developer may be able to counter the issue but.....

As big a pain in the arse it is; we sometimes just have to bite the bullet and accept responsibility for our own systems and start from scratch.

I tested my new system in the following order and if the game worked fine I created a system restore point and moved to the next step
    1. Installed windows
    2. Installed/updated motherboard drivers and videocard drivers
    3. Fully updated widows
    4. Installed gaming device drivers and steam
    5. Installed game then tested
    6. Installed virus software, tested game
    7. Installed ms office, tested game
    8. Installed msi mb bloatware, tested game ...noticed a performance drop and crashes
    9. Restored my system ...problem went away
    10. Started installing the rest of my software creating a restore point after each major install
    So for me it was the bloatware that I stupidly installed with my new motherboard ...pretty sure it was the killler network software that came with the msi mb

It was a pain in the arse but doing that reinstall made everything feel snappier and smoother...we’ll worth the effort

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    thanks for sharing, seems MSI software does not go well with RaceRoom..

• Like Like x 1
  18. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I should clarify that it wasn't the Killer Ethernet drivers but the Killer Control Center software that was the issue
    Even after uninstalling it it didn't solve my problem..I had to roll back to a system restore point prior to installing the software to fix my issue

19. PicoBp

PicoBp Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Still couldn't solve the major stuttering issues with the 64bit executable. 32bit works fine though, besides the overall worse performance compared to the 64bit version.

Any good news on the development side?

20. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, there seems to be an entirely new issue with very similar symptoms since the WTCR update. Disabling fullscreen optimizations no longer works for me. 32bit still works fine (and doesn't seem to have worse performance for me).