How to host a server/race?

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Don Rudi, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

a little while ago someone mentioned there was a way to rent servers for around 10 Euros a month to use as dedi servers for Raceroom or AC.
    I'd like.to be able.to host occasioanal races with friends, so I don't want to pay a fortune :)
    Any.hints are welcome

2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Host it yourself, easy enough.

3. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    My crappy Telekom line is not good enough to host a lag free race. I tried it with the old Telekom router before. With the new Fritzbox I had no success in hosting anything at all - I followed all the steps. That's why I'd rather have a seperate server. I used to use Justrace net for this, but they seem to have closed down.

4. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    No one?! Some many poeple run servers :(

5. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Do what I did and move to somewhere with Fibre, cool 70Mbit on tap, connection to the Internet is far more important than Family/friends/neighbours! ;) that's what Skype was invented for. :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    That's what I did, moved from beautiful Northern Germany to Frankfurt ;)
    Upgraded the line to 68/29 (or in Telekom terms 100/40), but I cannot get this dedi stuff to work. Either I can join the server or others can. And I am not keen to edit the Loopback paramters everytime I start the computer to enter the current IP address.
    Someone mentioned a few weeks ago, that he rents a dedi server somewhere for 10 Euros a month. That'd please me more, espacially as I could also host AC races that way. Setting up AC dedi server on one's own PC seems to be even worse than Raceroom :/

And Skype... näääää, I'd have to clean my appartment better for that, meaning less time for racing and flying O:)