Question Is it possible to get sequential or time-stamped raceresults.txt files?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Skidmark, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I suspect I may be in a minority here but I like to keep my race results using the raceresults.txt file, which is simple enough to grab and save after a single race. (On my system it's found at: C:\Users\user\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\Log\Results).

Problem is if there is a qualifying session or reverse grid race you only get one raceresults.txt file at the end - just for the last session, the rest having presumably been overwritten.

So it'd be great if there was a way to have them time-stamped (or just numbered):

e.g: raceresults 20180810 08.40.txt

...so that when you go to the results folder you can grab any result - qualifying, race 1, race 2 whatever you need.

The files are so tiny (8 KB) that having them accumulate shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Is there a setting for this somewhere, maybe, hopefully ??

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
  3. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for responding tex_548

Not quite what I was after. I had a look at it and (if I understood it correctly) it talks about having to upload the raceresults.txt file manually in RaceRoom.

My problem is that the raceresults.txt files that I want get overwritten before I get a chance to grab them.

I was hoping there'd be some way to stop them being overwritten each time.

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It is a bit strange that there's even a separate folder (called Results) and yet it only contains 1 file. And the file even contains the timestring.
    My best guess is they disabled the timestamping cause they didn't want to run into a situation where there's thousands of results files getting written in there over time.

5. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I suspect that's right - but even 10,000 x 8KB files doesn't add up to just one replay file:eek:! And the replay files are beautifully labelled and just keep building up, 100 MB or so at a time, unless you clean 'em out from time to time.

Whatever the reason it's a shame as for stats nerds like myself it'd be great to be able to save, analyse and savour (or lament) qualifying, race 1 and race 2 results...

Any chance of making this an option dear lovely S3 people??? :) ;) :D :rolleyes:

6. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I have thousands, well maybe many hundreds of replay files, equating to many many gigabytes of data saved for every race session ive done, i would be quite happy if there was a replay of every session i do.
    A time stamped results file for every race and or session would be fine for me and im guessing most other users, the bigger issue is probably with RR logging\data mining and the amount of server space used !
    A replay for every session, yes please, if not possible then a time stamped results file is the next best thing, hell, yes please!

7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The difference between replays/screenshots and those files is that you can see and delete the vids/pics from within the game. I mean I don't really know why it is like that, just guessing what could have been the reasoning, which I'm almost certain some was applied at some point in the past. ;)

Or maybe it really shouldn't be like that at all and it's in fact a bug, seeing how there's that Results folder.

Forgot to mention in my previous post that I've put in a request to have a look at this.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  8. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    :) thank you !!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    It's a good thought BrunoB but part of the problem is that the files I want may only exist for a nano-second. As far as I can tell this is how it works:

(1) Session starts (qualy). New 'empty' raceresults.txt file is created, overwriting the one in the results folder.
    (2) Session ends. raceresults.txt is overwritten with new raceresults.txt file actually containing the results of qualification.
    (3) Session starts (race 1). New 'empty' raceresults.txt file is created, overwriting the one in the results folder.
    (4) Session ends. raceresults.txt overwritten with new raceresults.txt file actually containing the results of race 1.
    (5) Session starts (race 2). New 'empty' raceresults.txt file is created, overwriting the one in the results folder.
    (6) Session ends. raceresults.txt overwritten with new raceresults.txt file actually containing the results of race 2.

The problem is in moving from 2-3, and 4-5 the raceresults.txt is written (presumably) and then overwritten immediately :eek: as the game moves to the next session. Sometimes you are able to 'end session' and grab the file but then you can't always go back in and continue. On other occasions ending the session automatically starts the next session and so the file you want is written and then overwritten almost instantaneously:(.

Hope I haven't messed with everyone's neurons too much... :p (if in fact you are still reading this obsessive-compulsive rant)

This 'problem' would be solved by time-stamping the raceresults.txt each time so that they were not overwritten and could be accessed and used at any time after the session, the next day or a year later.:cool:

As Christian points out, maybe it's this way to prevent thousands of little text files building up in the Results folder. Or maybe it's a bug. Hopefully it's the latter - in which case a fix should be pretty simple and not take any time away from working on the AI selector and Aussie V8s ;). If it's the former the question would be does it matter? In my view it doesn't matter (bring on millions of raceresults.txt files!!) but I'm not a coder and there may be other implications.