Fanatec Podium Series

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gopher04, May 31, 2018.

1. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I suspect they just watched back the original and realised what a shambles it was and how much bad PR they created....I’m sure the products will be good...i won’t let the bad marketing put me off

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Okay, this is a real announcement...! The way it should have been from the start... and with me having built a dongle box to fit custom wheels, the DD1 is a reasonable alternative to Simucube...

I wrote this on the Fanatec FB site...

„Thank you Thomas! Now that’s a real announcement worth the hard work you have done over the last months/years!... and respect from my side taking the feedback into account and being ‚man enough‘ to stand up and react this way! It should have been like this in first, but as stated, thumbs up and appreciation to do as you did!

...and a DD for under 1.000 Euro with all the warranty and support is awesome to hear of! Also the announcement of several DD worth wheels in development makes me think over my plan to switch from Fanatec to eg. Simucube!“

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Too expensiv byebye.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Just watched the new video.

At 4:30 Thomas confirmed that the podium software suite will have the ability to deliver telemetry based force feedback, just like the AccuForce and Simcommander 4.

This basically means that you can over rule the FFB from the game

I predict this will be a great selling point combined with the high torque

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    After I switched over to a direct drive system, I thought the same and started with 33% torque (20 Nm motor) which comes close to the max. torque of the Clubsport V2 base. "Anything above that kills me for sure." After some time I tried it with 50% and it didn't took too long to get used to it. That was unexpected. The other day I was really brave and drove some laps with 75% and loved it. Then a workmate paid me a visit and I shocked him with 100% torque. :D We had much fun with the Zakspeed Capri at the Nordschleife. You'll get used to that much FFB over time. From that day on I have my motor at full force. Maybe some day Santa Claus brings you an affordable DD system at christmas (maybe a used one from ebay) and than you'll remeber this silly post here. :)

6. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    My OSW is yet to arrive, but afaik (correct me if I'm wrong), this can be done in OSW software too. At least that is what I have read on different sites. So nothing new there...

7. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Though I think the pricing is wrong with Fanatec gear, the one thing that their DD bases give and will be a selling point is the single unit, and of course being able to use previously purchased rims, but until the real reviews happens and bugs and game compatibility are sorted it will be awhile before they take off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    That and the fact they can be used on consoles.
    Personally I have no problem with a seperate Controller unit, nor do I object the coiled connection cable for the wheel.
    Curious if the BT connection between Fanatec wheels and DD base will work without issues.

9. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I just get to know from Fanatec that every custom wheel will be working, als long as connected with a QR. For the buttons, shifters and so on, you have to connect the wheel via USB directly to the PC... same as other DD wheels. This is new to me, as the CSW won’t work without a Fanatec wheel detected by the base...just wanted to let you know this.

For me, the DD1 is now kind of attractive...

10. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Thought that had been cured a few months ago.

11. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know, the CSW won’t work without a Fanatec wheel connected and detected... haven’t heard of something else. Do you have other infos and a source?

12. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Yeh sorry Thomas totally misread you post, so I know nothing..:oops:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Probably good news for future DD1/2 owners. But you will still have to deal with the not so good Fanatec QR. It always has some play, even in new condition. The rubber o-ring is supposed to remedy that, the DD bases will use a sort of conical rubber and a wartel knob to tighten. I have been using a slightly thicker o-ring, which was better, but it takes real force to detach the wheel from the base now.
    Fanatec should have come up with a better solution: e.g. a choice between the original QR for people who want to use the Fanatec wheels they have (or want to buy), or a decent play free QR like there are many in the OSW department (e.g. the Q1R).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    So my dongle box is not obsolete, good news for me...!:)

6D93EABE-771E-4E6C-9E8F-D921E56BE89B.jpeg

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  15. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    something seems to be moving about the Fanatec QR:

From their site:

"""""Full backwards compatibility
    Our proven automotive grade QR has been upgraded with a new locking system, retaining compatibility with all existing Fanatec steering wheels, while also being completely interchangeable. All new wheel bases and steering wheels will have changeable quick releases; in the future you will have the option to upgrade to a new QR system."""""

Seems like a wise decision...
    Anyway, my OSW set will arrive next monday... :p

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  16. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I mentioned on Facebook the closed eco system of their bases and claimed that this should not be the way to go... this is what Fanatec responds:
    D64BEEFF-2170-4C72-93AF-58C291A2777A.png
    ...so it’s the same as with the CSW... disappointing decision from Fanatec...

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  17. Virtual Apex

Virtual Apex Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Any confirmation of the DD1/2 being compatible with RR? I have a CSL now and it still is not fully compatible.

18. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    What isn't compatible to the CSL now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    I also have a CSL Elite and enjoying R3E a lot. What am I missing with regards to compatability?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Technically speaking, there are official profiles for the CSL, CSL ps4 edition, and CSW wheels (and legacy wheels), as well as support for the Clubsport pedals. So, nothing should be missing.

He might have another idea though.

It might work when it first releases, just like the Accuforce worked. Though, an official profile not be available when the wheel releases to get the most out of the wheel.

Creating an official profile for the wheel usually entails the devs getting their hands on the wheel in their office and spending time with it to develop a unique profile that works for the wheel, as well as implementing support and code if needed.

Seeing as this is a new to market wheel, and a costly one at that, I wouldnt count on official support happening immediately at release. Though, it could certainly happen and the devs may be able to secure a Fanatec DD wheel before release to test it.

• Like Like x 1