Fanatec Podium Series

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gopher04, May 31, 2018.

1. Virtual Apex

Virtual Apex Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    When I run Raceroom I get an error message indicating wheel not found in the controller section and every time I got back to pits I get a wheel disconnected pop up. The wheel works but it's not fully recognized . The wheel name is highlighted red and states missing.

I am using the F1 and McLearn rims and same issue with both, but only in RR, other titles there is no issues. The base is only 1 month old .

2. Virtual Apex

Virtual Apex Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    When I run Raceroom I get an error message indicating wheel not found in the controller section and every time I got back to pits I get a wheel disconnected pop up. The wheel worksbut it's not fully recognized . The wheel name is highlighted red and states missing.

I am using the F1 and McLearn rims and same issue with both, but only in RR, other titles there is no issues. The base is only 1 month old .

3. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Odd I have both of these wheels (and 2 others) and do not have this happen unless

1) I don't have the base powered up until after the game is loaded
    2) I swap a wheel during a session

I still do not get a pop up that stops me from playing though.. just a disconnect error

Neither of these stop or disable any functions though. I simply make a profile for each wheel and switch to that one once I hot swap during a session.

NathanW

4. Virtual Apex

Virtual Apex Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Yes the wheel works, but if I got swap I loose FF, the wheel goes light, but it works.

My main concern is the DD 2 base, RR is my go to sim where I currently run with a league and would be pretty bummed knowing I spent 1500 on a DD not supported, but I understand the challenge RR has with getting a wheel for testing .

5. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I've been using my accuforce since the early days, as I recall I was able to get it up and running well, there were issues with having to manually adjust turning radius and such but you could get it working and had decent ffb thru the simcommander software.
    When in doubt, wait it out, the 2 will come together soon enough. Don't be too quick to get on the early adopter train.:cool::D I won't say I regret it, but I paid a hefty premium and had to wait several months for the wheel to arrive...

Ymmv
    Rich

6. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Don't worry, Fanatecs T.J. said it is going to be completele plug & play ... :rolleyes:
    He forgot to add for which sim...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Virtual Apex

Virtual Apex Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Ok thanks for the info. One of the things I love about sim racing is the tuning and testing so I guess this will be the same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,

I’d like to update you on the upcoming auctions for the Podium Wheel Base DD1. We’re starting in Australia on Monday 20th August; other regions will roll out soon.

The auction for Fanatec Australia starts at 8pm AEST. Each unit starts at 1 AUD with no reserve. This is for Australian customers only, but all regions can view the auctions in real-time.

Instructions:

- For those based in Australia wishing to participate, please create a Fanatec account in advance and log in.
    - Once active, you’ll see an ‘Enter Auction Page’ button on the DD1 product page, which launches a secure bidding area hosted on Amazon’s servers, which has been thoroughly tested for stability. (Anyone can click this link to watch the bids in real-time.)
    - Click to bid as many times as you wish. Each click will bid by a fixed increment of 10 AUD.
    - After every new bid is placed, a 90-second timer will reset.
    - If there are no new bids after the timer reaches zero, the auction ends, and the winner receives an email with details on how to complete the pre-order.
    - The next auction begins immediately, starting at 1 AUD.

Please note:

- Every auction is automatically capped so it will not exceed the region RRP.
    - We will ensure that at least 100 units are sold worldwide below the region RRP.
    - You will be able to see the previous winning bid values.

Standard pre-orders for both the DD1 and DD2 wheel bases are already available in all regions, but we hope that new auction system demonstrates that we are genuinely giving our customers an opportunity to score a great pre-order price for this cutting-edge sim hardware.

Links to product pages:
    https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/wheel-bases/podium-wheel-base-dd1-aus.html
    https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/wheel-bases/podium-wheel-base-dd1-eu-1.html
    https://www.fanatec.com/ja-en/wheel-bases/podium-wheel-base-dd1-japan.html
    https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/wheel-bases/podium-wheel-base-dd1-usa.html

• Like Like x 1
  9. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I am happy to see more Direct Drive gear on the market but as most of you agreed, the Fanatec pricing for this base is out of proportion. Surely it will be a great product but the question remains if the Fanatec DD is compatible with the third-party software, how good is the original software, what encoder is inside, will their quick release be able to sustain strong forces without flexing overtime etc...
    Realistically, you may not find any Direct Drive Base under $1700 but being Fanatec, the expectations were around $1400. Also, it would be nicer if they could include at least one wheel of your choice and make it an attractive package. Marketing strategy is the key and Fanatec is doing well so far by sucking people into this overpriced nonsense.

The OSW Direct Drive is already out there available with a number of wide range accessories, lots of community support and it has been proven brilliant.

In addition, I can't see why would you need 30nm torque DD priced over $2500. The OSW 20nm with 10000ppr encoder is giving plenty of information and a crazy amount of torque that you literally will never be able to use. The 20nm torque motor can also be used as a weapon to eliminate people that you hate the most in your life. Invite them to your place, set the FFB to 70%, let them drive your sim rig, wait until they get off the track and watch their arms and fingers flying around your bedroom. The only problem is you will have to clean up the bloody mess.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Cannot see, how in the 21st century, wheels are still being released that are not compatible with all Sims already on the market on release, Jeez RR is free to download, so no excuse for not at least making it recognisable by the game and if this can only be done by the Sim developer (more than likely) then a test unit should be made available to said dev's. This has been going on since the first wheel (not literally guys) :rolleyes: I bought and back then there was no going online to gripe about it. Involved writing a thing called a letter, waiting months for no reply, then writing another. Would be interesting to know why there is not a well established way of both Sim and hardware dev's to communicate to each other on new releases and updates, I fully understand that in the DD industry many are very small outfits, with minimal funds but there must be some way of improving compatibility. An industry standard maybe, I feel for people who spend a fortune on new hardware, only to find it won't work with their go to Sim. Do the Sim dev's need the whole wheel, surely just the electronics side is all that's needed to ensure recognition of the device in Sim, I'd personally prefer for the Sim to recognise the wheel with a limited base setting than not at all. At the end of the day in the PC Sim racing world, they kinda rely on each other, so makes sense for both parties. One more niggle on the same subject is Hardware developers generally pick the top half dozen or so Sims on the market to work with out of the box, this alone irks me, I have several Sims and to go out and spend a couple grand (which would buy you an half decent car in the uk, I know coz that's what mine cost, bless her) only to find it's compatible with a couple of my Sims, I'd be pissed, kinda what stops me investing so heavily in one (plus I'm a pauper). For the smell of burning rubbers sake, make a standard or improve your communication with each other, no winners in this scenario, just losers!

11. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    If the Raceroom Game Seat is stable enough for the DD1...?

12. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    i doubt it... or.. I can't imagine.. but should depend on the power setting you're using.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Nope. I used one for 2 years, that thing would fall apart I'm afraid.

14. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,

I’m happy to confirm that we’re giving our Fanatec Australia customers a second opportunity to participate in an auction for the Podium Wheel Base DD1 on Tuesday 30th October, starting 21:00 AEDT. Other regions will follow, and we’ll make separate updates about that.

As before, each unit starts at 1 AUD with no reserve. This is for Australian customers only, but all regions can view the auctions in real-time.

Instructions:

- For those based in Australia wishing to participate, please create a Fanatec account in advance and log in.
    - Once active, you’ll see an ‘Enter Auction Page’ button on the DD1 product page, which launches a secure bidding area hosted on Amazon’s servers, which has been thoroughly tested for stability. (Anyone can click this link to watch the bids in real-time.)
    - Click to bid as many times as they wish. Each click automatically increases the price by a fixed increment of 10 AUD.
    - After every new bid is placed, a 60-second timer will reset.
    - If there are no new bids after the timer reaches zero, the auction ends, and the winner receives an email with details on how to complete the pre-order.
    - The next auction begins immediately, starting at 1 AUD.

Please note:

- Every auction is automatically capped so it will not exceed the region RRP.
    - You will be able to see the previous winning bid values.
    - There is an unlimited amount of auctions if the Auction ends at 1500 AUD or higher (which is still below the regular price of 1599,90 AUD).
    - We will stop the auction event in Australia after 10 Auctions reached an end price below 1500 AUD.

Standard pre-orders for both the DD1 and DD2 wheel bases are already available in all regions, but we hope that the new auction system demonstrates that we are genuinely giving our customers an opportunity to score a great pre-order price for this cutting-edge sim hardware.

Links to product pages:
    https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/wheel-bases/podium-wheel-base-dd1-aus.html
    https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/wheel-bases/podium-wheel-base-dd1-eu-1.html
    https://www.fanatec.com/ja-en/wheel-bases/podium-wheel-base-dd1-japan.html
    https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/wheel-bases/podium-wheel-base-dd1-usa.html

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  15. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    WE - WANT - EUROPE , I bet there is not even a single Kangoroo in this Forum !!! :mad::D
    Just kidding... looking forward to the auction here, gonna sell my Fanatec Clubsport Wheelbase 2.5 :)

16. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    @HomieFFM There are more of us than you think.:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    DIBS!!!!!!!!!!!
    OH drat, you are in Europe, I need one in the US:(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    two auctions for Australia, august and October
    none for the rest of the world?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

19. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    The first auction didn't go as smoothly as we hoped, so we wanted to give our Australian customers a second chance before moving to the next region.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Looking forward to each country getting a go or two ?;)

• Creative Creative x 1