Fanatec General Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DomB, May 22, 2018.

1. Slowdive

Slowdive New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wanted to relay my experience with Fanatec so that others can make informed decisions before doing business with them. I've spent well over $1000 US with them, having purchased a Clubsport Wheel Base 2.5, Clubsport Pedals V3, F1 wheel, and other accessories. Recently I ordered and received the Porsche 918 wheel, but after testing it for only an hour, I determined that it was too large, the buttons were too far in to easily reach (I only use VR), the plastic rev light case felt weird on the wheel and it started to create a sore spot on my hand after only an hour. In any event, I was not satisfied with the wheel and wished to return it in exchange for the Universal Hub and wheel which I figured I couldn't go wrong with since I can mount any wheel. I asked Fanatec if they would waive the significant 15% restocking fee and they flatly refused.

The wheel is brand new, I only tested it for roughly an hour, however they are still sticking to charging the ridiculous fee, which BTW can be seen as illegal in many US states. As someone who has spent, and would potentially spend a considerable amount more with them (considering a direct drive upgrade), I find it hard to believe that a company would be so penny wise and pound foolish. You have to assume they have a 50% markup on their products, so they would've made $200 from me, but instead they chose to make $60 and lose a customer for life. Since I cannot test their products in a store, I rely on the ability to return something if it doesn't work out. And I don't expect to be penalized for that.

As a result of my experience I cannot recommend their products, not only because the value proposition is sketchy to begin with, but they refuse to work with their customers in good faith.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I have a question about wheel and base compatibility,
    would a V1 base work with the static base mounted paddle shifters and a universal hub?
    and can I mount and aftermarket wheel, like a cheap auto parts store grant steering wheel to the universal hub?
    (with some type of home made bolt circle adapter) I mean is the universal hub just a flange that attaches to the wheel base?
    and do you still make a G25 pedal adapter? (or have a pin out so I can fab one up?)

3. Vojvoda

Vojvoda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    @DomB Is it possible to get a wiring diagram for Clubsport Static Shifter Paddle? Thanks in advance.

4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    @DomB
    Hi, I'm interested in the Podium DD1 and I'm also interested in safety.
    Why does Fanatec think the emergency stop button is not neccessary with the DD1? I think a DD Wheel should always be delivered with an emergency stop. Will the emergency stop then be available optionally? I mean.. 20Nm can also hurt you bad, not only 25 or 30.
    Of course I know that you usually never use 100% strength, but even at low strength it's not harmless. But alone the possibility to have full strength would justify this little safety feature.

5. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    Almost everyone has a power strip with an on/off switch, that's a pretty easy emergency stop button :D

6. LTC Mike

LTC Mike Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I used to use such a combination with my V1 (V1.5) Base, and it works, at least technically.

With the static based mounted paddle shifters you think of those: https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/wheel-base-accessories/clubsport-static-shifter-paddles-eu.html ? Yes these work well, as long as you are willing to dismount the wheel mounted ones - else it could get a bit tight for your fingers when turning the wheel, but you can connect those to the base as well as use those attached directly to a wheel and the additional SQ-Shifter.

And the universal Hub is a great device, but be careful not to use any after market rim that is too heavy, as the V1 motors are not as strong as those in the V2 or 2.5 /CSL or the new upcoming podium series. I had a Momo rim attached to the hub and it felt really great, because its a real auto part. But I stopped using this combination on my base, because the motors seemed to get too much stressed by its weight (the combination of the hub and my after market rim weighs easily about 1.5 kg).

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the info, I am interested in upgrading to a load cell pedal and good H shifter,
    and I prefer base mounted paddle shifters, so a Fanatec wheel base seems the obvious choice, (CSL perhaps?)
    I just don't want a wheel with any xbox buttons on it, and I cant find any PC only wheels on the Fanatec web site
    that is why I was thinking a quick release hub and plain jane rim, as I have several used ones sitting around

8. LTC Mike

LTC Mike Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    The actual CSL base should have enough power to provide a universal hub together with an aftermarket rim and it's listed there as compatible (I don't know why the V1 base is no longer listed as compatible - maybe it's because it's too weak to power that combination with a reasonable rim?).
    And as far as I know - as there is only the universal hub with X-Box compatibility available any longer (see: https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steer...ring-wheel-universal-hub-for-xbox-one-eu.html) - it has neutral looking buttons as well - but better check this back directly with the fanatec support.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I am thinking of going with a Thrustmaster TS-PC as it is PC only and not console compatible,
    as it bugs me a little that EVERY wheel Fanatec sells is xbox compatible, including the universal hub
    it just makes me wonder where Fanatic's priority's are? when Thrustmaster can offer a dedicated PC setup
    and Fanatec cant? plus the TH8A looks better than the Fanatec shifter, (anything will be better than my G25 shifter!)

10. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Why does that bother you?
    That they work both for PC and Xbox?..
    The TH8A is a nice shifter that is really easy to mount, but it doesn't come close to the Fanatec shifter, not even when it's modded.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    because the wheels are "simcade" then I guess... or dumbed down.. :D

It's not M$' fault that Sony is limiting their software and hardware support so much :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    because it seems like Fanatec is saying WE MAKE XBOX ACCESSORIES !!!!!!!! (that also work on pc)
    a few xbox compatible wheels, yea that's great! but not EVERYTHING needs to be xbox branded,
    its just makes their stuff appear cheap, but I do like the club sport load cell pedals,
    the shifter is just too big and awkward, not a good look, (I'm sure it works great)
    TH8A has a classic look, I don't mind my G25, it is the pedals and shifter I don't care for

13. LTC Mike

LTC Mike Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Well, then I could offer nut much more help :cool:

Just as a note: it's just the other way round with Fanatec and X-Box support: They primary produce PC compatible stuff and add the needed XBox-Chip to some of their rims. The bases are PC-only without this. Only to support PS4 they had to build a special CSL base that includes the necessary electronics into that - the base (mechanical) tech is the same as the PC one.

Concerning the shifters: I have both of them as I have a TM 500 RS as my spare wheel together with a TH8A - and I never ever would prefer this one over the CS Shifter from Fanatec. The TM shifter is working and most of the time the correct gear gets set during the shift ... that's all. But precise shifting every time without re-checking the position of the handle is another thing - that's where the Fanatec gear really shines over the TM one :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for the newb question, what's the Universal Hub for? To attach other Fanatec wheels, or to attach other 'real car' wheels? Looking at the v2.5 wheelbase & McLaren wheel, when I get the chance & have someone take it.

It's unfortunate we do not have easy access to these products, as w/ Thrustmaster.

15. LTC Mike

LTC Mike Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    As it's shown on their webshop (https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steer...ring-wheel-universal-hub-for-xbox-one-eu.html) you can buy this system just as a connection base (with Fanatec's quick release system) for attaching a real car steering wheel to their actual bases or buy it pre-configured with one of the many different Fanatec steering wheels (like the ClubSport Steering Wheel GT Forza Motorsport: https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-gt-forza-motorsport-eu.html) for a slightly higher price.
    I bought the non X-Box-Version some time ago to connect a real Momo racing wheel onto it and besides that my V1 base is slightly to weak for the overall weight (the universal hub itself weighs about 550gr and depending on the type of the real driving wheel it easily could reach over 1.5 kg) it really feels great - plus the 4 included button boxes (it could connect a fifth, but I've never seen those button boxes sold separately by Fanatec) and the Funky switch could be arranged very individually on it. The overall construction is slightly sturdy - only the mounting system holding the button boxes in place is a little weak, but adding some Loctite to the screws helps to keep them tight, too.

• Like Like x 2
  16. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Ok, really nice. Quite steep though. So if just sticking with the other Fanatec wheels, I surmise this is unnecessary.

17. LTC Mike

LTC Mike Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I bought the older (non X-Box compatible) universal Hub on a Fanatec sale - so the overall price for the hub plus the Momo was less than 300 € ... the new Hub system is already quite expensive on its own and IMHO too much, when you buy it together with a Fanatec steering wheel ...

• Like Like x 2
  18. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Is that many really branded Xbox?
    There are xbox buttons on the Universal hubs, but you can take those caps off, or like me, only use the hubs without the button boxes. The small xbox buttons on top of the hub is only seen if you look for them.
    On my BMW and F1 Black there are no Xbox buttons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    OK so I was wrong, they are not all xbox, actually the ps4 rims do look nice, the GT2 BMW rim particularly
    (yea its that ugly xbox button that bugs me, just don't want to pay an arm and a leg and have it staring at me)
    but I could get used to the CSL wheel for the price, with a CSL base, (black Friday sale?)

• Like Like x 1
  20. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    There are people (including myself) who make button caps or labels that go over them. I've seen two decal sets that even go over the big xbox rotary button.. I also don't want a xbox logo on my wheel either. Can put a push to start (ignition button), pit button and menu arrows..
    Upper_buttons.jpg button_caps.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1