Known Upcoming Content/Features

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rodger Davies, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Viggdred

Viggdred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    Tyres compound....
    Tyres pressure....

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    ... and caster adjustability.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I don't think this has ever been brought up before....how bout group c ??:p

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    looks like fate of every thread on this forum is to turn into wishlist :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    That's called "Remco's law" and was discovered some years back in the project cars forum.
    It states that every thread turns into a car or track wishlist.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    This is an interesting one, because from what I've found caster is rarely adjusted by race teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. Caster was a very nice way to control the amount of lift off oversteer on the FWD touring cars in Race07. The more caster, the more lift off oversteer. As I hate lift off oversteer with a passion I always had it quite low.

As far as I remember there was no caster adjustment when I started racing karts, but in the later years we even had caster adjustments on karts and used it, mainly to adapt to different grip levels, as in dry and rain. That was in the late 80's and early 90's. But of course caster has a very special task to fulfill when racing a kart due to the solid rear axle. ;)

8. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I've never noticed much difference with different caster settings, at least in rF1 and rF2. There are much more needed setup options, that are not available in RaceRoom, like separate fast and slow bumpers dampers (or rather fast bumpers dampers, as apparently what we have now are slow ones), tire pressure, weight distribution, engine and brake cooling, engine maps to name a few.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  9. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I can't comment without looking in to it, but I suspect that phenomena in Race07 may be more to do with something funky going off in the suspension geometry rather than a true-to-life response to caster. Usually you'd add caster to increase stability and/or to help gain camber on the outside wheel while turning. The stability comes from mechanical trail caster causes, rather than being a direct result of it:

[​IMG]

Interesting what you say about the karting - when I started it was in fashion to have adjustable camber ('98) and my first kart, a '96 Swiss Hutless had adjustable kingpins for that purpose, but that was the only one I had which did. It was definitely the jacking effect that was used in karting, rather than any other gain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Alex Hodgkinson Someone's gonna be busy! :D

11. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    What's this? Sorry, but I'm not a native english speaker and the translations I found didn't give me a real idea what this is supposed to be... :D

12. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    How will the P4/5 GTR2 be named I really hope you name it like P4/5 Competitione GT2 or P4/5 Competitione GTE or P4/5 Competitione GT.

Because it will be the worst for every reporter tool if the car named the same as the one from the GTR3 class. I remeber this situation in Race07 with some of the STCC/STCC2 cars

14. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    This is better explanation of caster :p
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Thank you. Exactly what I meant when I was talking about the special task to fulfill due to the solid rear axle. :)

Actually it isn't... ;)

16. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Actually it isn't... ;)[/QUOTE]

Actually it is...
    The initial purpose of caster is to naturally center the steering. Without caster u will not have any centering and u will need to hold the steering wheel real hard to prevent it from wobbling. And the best example to demonstrate it is shopping cart wheels :rolleyes:

The side effects are great steering feedback, mostly on grip limit, and natural camber when u need it (turning) and less when u dont (straight line breaking/accl FWD).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Actually it isn't...still... ;)

Caster describes the angle to the front or rear (usually leaning towards the rear with the top) of the axle around which the front wheels rotate while turning left or right. This angle leads to the outside front wheel to move upwards and the inside front wheel to move downwards while steering. Camber is affected too. The caster on the image of @rad is still 0°. The wheels are just off center.

While cars usually have a differential, caster is used more for steering stability, just as you described.

On karts with their solid rear axle the caster helps with the "jacking effect" you can see on the image of @Alex Hodgkinson. The up- and downward movement of the front wheels, together with centrifugal force while cornering, helps to relieve and slightly lift the inside rear wheel. Because of the lack of a differential you wouldn't be able to compensate for the different speeds of the in- and outside rear wheels if the inside wheel wasn't lifted.

18. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Caster is an offset of the wheel contact patch from the steering axis.
    Caster in cars/bikes has angular steering axis while the cart has zero - they are both caster, well because the contact patch is offset from the steering axis.
    Contact patch is also the vertical axis of wheel, same thing.
    and guess whats the name of a cart wheel - surprise...caster wheel:D:D:D

19. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, of course...whatever... :rolleyes:

20. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    What I see in very competive circumstances, like e-sport events, is that people are very willing to divebomb to get a position, because there's no danger of damage...