The new adaptive AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paradox Agi, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    It looks to me like you are braking a little early for that chicane and losing too much speed through it.

It's a little tricky but you can actually brake later and 'flick' the car left-right and maintain a lot more speed (it's hard to describe).

Some corners look and feel like you need to slow down more than you actually do. As I'm sure you've discovered that chicane is unforgiving - it's easy to cut the track or unsettle the car on the kerbs. Nonetheless if you're not getting hit anywhere else at this track then you are probably reasonably quick in most of the corners and it's just this one that needs more practice (as I say it is a particularly tricky one).

An onboard shot from the chasing car would probably show your speed difference with the AI more starkly. You can see 'he' is finding you are going too slow and he is looking inside and outside to find a way around.

Check out the line and pace at approx. 2:50 mins and again at 4:33:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  2. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    What he said. :D
    The braking point is fine, but the line through the chicane isn't shallow enough.
    Granted, you could say that the AI shouldn't hit you just because you use a different line, and there's some truth to that.
    But in all fairness, if I'd been in the car behind you, I'd probably have hit you as well. I wouldn't expect anyone not jumping the curbs in that particular chicane.

As for Bathurst....
    Well, Bathurst is admittedly a tough place to race. Not so much because of the AI, it's just the nature of the track.
    The walls coming up and down the mountain ensures that if something unexpected happens, there's just nowhere to go.
    And Lap 1 at Bathurst tends to get....interesting. :D
    All you have to do is go to youtube and search for "iracing bathurst" and you'll see that even with human players, it's carnage central.
    It can most certainly be done against the R3E AI, but for the first lap or two, you REALLY have to be on your toes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  3. wad53

wad53 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    In fairness to the original video, in both cases the AI has clearly cut the track by a significant margin, causing the punt. Cutting like that would not have been allowed in real racing or on-line racing. Maybe the AI line needs some adjustment at those spots.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I'm inclined to agree.

Also agree but ironically (given what some say about the AI) - I think it was trying to avoid a collision. (??)

5. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I think that could be the case in both incidents

Looks like the player braked a little earlier then the AI expected so it went left to avoid the collision hence the line it took through the chicane as it was now committed. Tho it was a little weird how it accelerated through the line so aggressively tho I think it had calculated that you were taking a wider and faster line through the chicane.

In the second incident I think you can actually see the AI lock up it's wheels 12 second mark (AI darts left little) as it tries not to hit the early braking car in front. and then again I think it's expecting you to go a little faster and wider through the chicaine

I occasionally see the AI doing this and as much as it sucks when it happens I'd still sooner have the ai do this then S3 tame the AI so it just pulls out and never challenge me in a corner like a lot of other sims do.

If this happened in an online race it would be called a racing incident BUT since it's AI we expect them to be perfect.
    I love it how the AI isn't always perfect...keeps you on your toes and makes you feel like you are indeed playing alongside real drivers...even alongside the odd idiot as he tries to dive bomb the corner LOL

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Totally agree !!!!!!! Needed a post not just a tick.

7. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Wow, thanks a lot for all your feedback. I will give it a try again. Yesterday I did race against the ai with the WTCR cars at the Hhungaroring. 20 min without any serious incidents, great racing. The AI is doing hard racing in RaceRoom.