Any DD/Servo wheels out there on R3E (AF, OSW, Bodner)??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by switchface, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Onaflyer

Onaflyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I have owned both AF and OSW. The detail on both are amazing but I would give the AF a slight but definite advantage for detail. You can dial in as much or as little as you want. With the summer discount the AF is the easily the best deal in sim racing.

2. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
  3. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Is the accuforce away from the stepper motor? I've always seen the AF as the least attractive package.

4. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    It still uses the stepper motor. Budget wise the AF looks pretty interesting, a lot of owners are happy with it. But in comparison -or other- tests (SimRacingGarage e.g.) it always is the last choice after OSW, Bodnar. And as I recently read even after the Fanatec Podium.
    I had the opportunity to try it once (the previous model) even before I was interested in DD wheels. There was a lot of 'detail' but most of it felt artificial (Sim Commander software has a gazillion possibilities for tweaking) and the wheel clearly felt notchy. I was not tempted to buy one to replace my Fanatec set at the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I'm biased because I have an AF2. SimRacingGarage recently did a review of the AF2 and put it on par with the OSW. I can't verify that, but i don't have any notchiness that the folks are describing. What I will say, is that the default settings don't provide enough smoothing and if that is what people are picking up on, I can certainly see how that can be interpreted as notchiness. My guess is that Fanatec didn't exactly go out of their way to adjust the settings and probably left them at default.

The software is really powerful and probably the best part of the system but is needlessly complex at times. I have presaved configurations for cars/games that I can load in one-click. That's pretty nice when each game requires different levels of smoothing and power. I'm also a big fan of the 13nM limit. It's more than enough for me and not enough that I can really hurt myself.

Hardware wise, the OSW has a better encoder and more power. Software wise, i give the edge to AF.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. bluey2444

bluey2444 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think there is a difference in the way FFB feels between MMos and Simucube with raceroom.

7. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0

I'm not sure about that !!

8. bluey2444

bluey2444 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I'm only going from what others have said. I haven't tried an MMos setup. Also have you tried FWD cars in raceroom with your OSW?

9. G.Deurwaerder

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0

Yes I do, and they feel just as good as the rest ;)

10. bluey2444

bluey2444 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I was under the impression that R3E was sort of ok with MMos but not very good with Simucube. If I were to try your settings how would they be applied to simucube?

11. G.Deurwaerder

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    The difference with Simucube is the filtering of the FFB everywhere, there is also a simplicity made for the use of the software.

12. Reiche

Reiche New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can you maybe upload the FFB part of the user config.rcs file? Documents/My Games/SimBin/RaceRoom Racing Experience/UserData/ControlSet/file.rcs?
    Argon-based OSW here paired with the Lenze servo and I'm totally struggling to get a decent FFB for Raceroom...

13. G.Deurwaerder

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0

I have no problem doing this, but like the posts in front of it I am not yet in the possibility to step into my rig because I have broken my foot, I would normally be allowed to take the first steps next week, then I can deliver this to you

14. Reiche

Reiche New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that's perfectly alright!

I haven't touched RaceRoom for so long, so I can easily wait some time longer, no problem! Take your time and get well soon!

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  15. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Will the R3E developers have Fanatec Podium DD wheels for testing? Will it be 100% compatible and plug and play with the game?
    Fanatec claim that their wheel will be used as "template" by game developers to make it fully supported.
    Is this also thing in Raceroom?

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. G.Deurwaerder

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    For those who are still interested;)
    Okay I'll be back for this the next 14 days, I can finally be in my race seat for a long time:):):):)

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  17. G.Deurwaerder

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    By the way, I wondered if there are people who take part in leaderboard events with an OSW

18. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I would so like to try my new OSW set, but my computer is off duty again after a failing Win 10 update (AGAIN) :confused:
    It is the fifth time that this happens, and I am getting pretty tired of it. Now I heard some voices that it could be related to a mismatch of the SSD. No idea if this is/can be the case, but I guess I need to look for a new PC...:(
    Was going to upgrade it anyway.

19. G.Deurwaerder

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    and what do you have now? Fanapryde

20. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    PC ? Is in the spoiler. :)
    SSD is a 250 GB Intel.