Fanatec General Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DomB, May 22, 2018.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    @DomB got any news, hints on the new Formula rim ?
    Im hanging for this , come on , give it to me DomB !
    :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Dug out a image for ya - note no xbox buttons and the big button is labeled as brake bias
    871C362F-DB16-4DFF-85B7-E3E6F4A3E946.jpeg

I also must say, a steering wheel without buttons is very limiting. I’m not sure what type of cars your racing, but almost everything after the 80’s has quite a few. For me it’s mandatory. I have 2 button boxes and map 9-12 buttons on the wheel itself. Lots of adavance and what I think essential adjustments need to be made on the fly. You might be missing out (unless your just drifting or running very old cars) - just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    How did you label those buttons ?
    I have the older hud from before they were Xbox hubs, so all black buttons and a few hundred $ cheaper .

4. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I prefer to sim drive cars that are as much like the cars I own in real life as possible, and they are primarily older cars, with nothing but a horn button on the wheel, my one newer car does have a bunch of buttons on the steering wheel, I just never use any of them, and my current sim set up is a Logitech G25 so it only has two buttons, and I don't use them,

5. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Nice try, 2ndLastJedi, but your mind tricks don't work on me ;)

@Barracuda318 @Vojvoda I made some enquiries and I am not permitted to supply the information you requested.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I make and sell them online. They are button caps with vinyl on them. They just pop on over all fanatec or 1cm knitter buttons. Mine are flat or convex. Theres another guy who makes more text based caps that are nice - will send you link if you PM me.

I sold out last weekend, but will have more this Friday. Here are some examples.
    EC6A2B40-A887-445C-8BF8-6D076DACD2B3.jpeg 790F7AEE-C0A0-45CB-BC1E-A8D15492B043.jpeg 3D8BFC96-CC5C-40B0-BF00-A6D82B0039EB.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  7. Peter Varinsky

Peter Varinsky New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Great, now my McLaren GT3 wheel started missing shifts.. Nothing is helping, no firmware reflash.. Come on, Fanatec, what the hell.. I did my research and many people have had this problem for several weeks now..

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry to hear that Peter. We are currently investigating the RMcL internally. Please reach out to our support team via our website and they will get this resolved for you.

9. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Yea I got the same problem with my brand new GT3 wheel (3 days old) :(

Day 1: (3 hours gaming)
    Worked perfectly

Day 2: (4 hours gaming)
    Started not shifting Gears and sometimes double shifting; 80% reliable shifts
    This is happening on both up and down shifts
    Turning the base on and off didn't resolve the problem

After googling the problem I installed the beta 314 drivers and updated firmware for base and wheel
    Turned the base on and off and rebooted the computer on and off a couple of times.
    Shifting now 98% reliable but problem still happening

Day 3: (5 hours gaming)
    Today the shifting was 100% reliable!

But the Bite Clutch system stopped engaging consistently and sometimes not at all!
    When this happened I could resolve the issue by turning the wheel base on and off to immediately temporarily fix it.
    This happened 2 times over a 5 hour gaming session

I'm pretty sure this is pointing to a firmware and not hardware problem mainly because turning the base on and off seemed to effect/resolve the problem

[Edit] Day 4: (5 Hours)
    Gears and Clutch 100% perfect today.

[Edit] Day 5 & 6: (3 Hours)
    Perfect again..seems to have fixed it self!

Sent the above message to support today but thought I'd share my work around that sorta works in the meantime

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  10. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I have an issue were the N button only works when it wants to ! Fanatec suggested reinstalling latest driver 311 but that didnt work so I will try that beta driver 314 and hope as they are setting up an RMA as I type but would prefer not sending it back .

11. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    After installing the driver; make sure you update the firmware on both the base and wheel

It's strange that today I didn't have any problems with the wheel!
    the only difference was that I turned the unit on to start playing.....I should also note that when it's turned off it behaves exactly like I expect it would ;)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  12. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    314 or 312 ?

13. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0

14. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Oh , i can only find 312 as highest number , can you please link me to 314 ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
  16. Peter Varinsky

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I tried firmware 314, but didnt help.. So I went back to my old P1 wheel. But looking at the McLaren wheel, I had to try again :D So couple of days later, I went back to the old firmware and then back to 314, and the wheel is miraculously working again (and has been for three days now).. Which is very good news indeed, cause I absolutely love the wheel... Very weird, though..

17. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Where has this driver 314 come from ? I cant find a thing of it on Fanatec website .

18. Peter Varinsky

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No idea, it just exists :DDD the link is above my post..

19. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I found it on reddit during my desperate search for a solution

My experience was similar which I imagine makes trouble shooting the problem difficult for Fanatec

For me installing 314 initially made my shifts 98% reliable but the bite clutch started failing and I needed to turn the wheel on and off to "reboot" the steering wheel....however it was still occasionally missing gears. I even rebooted my computer a couple of times during that gaming session but I still had the bite clutch problem and missing shifts.

However the next day the problems miraculously disappeared and started working perfectly and has been for 3 days now.
    I never removed the wheel from the wheel base (I only have the GT3 wheel), all I've done is turned the wheel on and off between gaming session...not even a computer reboot so I have no explanation why it start working perfectly except that it may actually be software related as opposed to firmware.

I'm just glad it working now as I fricken love this wheel. I have it mounted on the the v2.5 base with v3 pedals.
    I just got the Fanatec gear last week for fathers day to replace my well used 12 year old Logitec G25 that I've pulled apart and resurrected several times but it finally said "fk you I've had enough...just let me die" . I still have to pinch myself as this Fanatec gear is like a dream to use..the difference is light years apart.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  20. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Does seem odd that the so called 314 driver doesn't exist on Fanatec site and the highest beta driver is 312..