Telemetry SecondMonitor (Timing & status App)

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Winzarten, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Version 2.5 Beta is available at my github repo https://github.com/Winzarten/SecondMonitor/releases/tag/v2.5.0-Beta2
    SecondMonitor.png
    In this version I've completely rewritten the car information controls. to make them a little bit better looking. I've also slowly applying a unified look&feel to the whole app.

Functionality stayed more or less the same, the only big changes are to the fuel monitor. It will now display the consumtion during the last minute/lap in addition to the standard average consumption. It now also uses color for quick reference, which is most usefull during races.

During races, after first lap, the monitor constantly check remaining fuel, remaining session time/laps and average consumtion to determine if there is enough fuel for the rest of the session and will color itself accordingly
    • Green - enough fuel
    • Orange - Possibly not enough fuel (there is very little difference between remaining fuel and the calculated required fuel)
    • Red - Not enough fuel
    • Blinking red - Not enough fuel + only two laps of fuel remaining
    Still considered "beta" as I've done only one afternoon of testing. :)

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  2. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Just want to thank you for this brilliant app.

I gave it a try yesterday and I was rubbish because I kept looking at the second screen!! :D

For me the real joy in this app is the reporting - it's tremendous - well done! I find it really useful.

If I may make a small suggestion - it would be great to have starting position on the grid as part of the summary page if that's easily added. :cool:

Thanks again!! :)

4. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Further to my post above, the second monitor doesn't really work for me because I can't keep looking away while I'm racing. It distracts me and I lose time.

BUT - I really like the app (especially the post-session reports - did I mention that?) and it occurred to me that it would be freakin' BRILLIANT if the data stream could be recorded and played back by the app when watching a replay !!! :cool::):p

It could be synched from the opening of the session or from lights out and then you could just sit back and marvel at your own and other's sector times, fastest laps, gaps etc etc.

Video makers could also screen-capture bits of the data and display them on screen.

I think this app could really shine in that context. I'm no programmer and I don't know if it would be possible or how much work might be involved :eek: but if I could help in any way I'd be happy to do so! :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much for the kind words. :)
    The reports extensions should be fairly easy, as the data are already there. I also plan to add two new buttons - open reports folder, and open last report, so you can have quick access to reports if you don't want them auto-opened after session. This should be really ready in next version.

I've had my share of accidents because I looked at the app :D The replay functionality is something can could be surely done later, but would require some work, ofc. Right now I'm trying to make app better readable at fast glance with few quick changes. i.e. colored lap times should come in next version, so you can quickly judge if you are gaining or loosing on the guys before you/following you. ;)

The next bigger feature I have planned is telemetry export/viewing. So people can analyze why the best lap was actually better than the other. But that will take some time, before it is ready. :)

6. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    My little suggestion is you should consider autoupdater, or at least update checker with direct link to new installer (somewhat like it is in CrewChief). Also had some issues in rF2 as app was closing without any errors, shortly after joining session (would need to test a bit more to narrow exact trigger).

Apart from that it's great ;)

7. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    This is something I'm struggling with since day one, and should really by part of any serious application nowadays. It is one of the reasons why I recently moved to github, which should make implementing such functionality easier. ;)

8. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Version 2.5.1 Uploaded:
    https://github.com/Winzarten/SecondMonitor/releases/download/v2.5.1/SecondMonitor.msi

Not many changes from the last beta, but some significant :)
    Changes:
    • Autoupdater - I was able to implement autoupdate functionality (using the same package crewchief uses :) ). In testing it worked without problems, but there might still be some hidden bugs. This version should be able to detect if a new version is available.
    • Start position added to reports - cars start position is now part of the summary report, position column.
    • Two new buttons added on UI related to reports - Open Reports folder and Open last created report. So you can quickly access reports on demand from the UI.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Ok, lets see if the autoupdater really works :D
    https://github.com/Winzarten/SecondMonitor/releases/download/v2.6.0/SecondMonitor.msi

Version 2.6.0 Released
    • Project Cars 2 Support - I couldn't resist the last sale and gave PCars2 another try. Obviously they were able to fix my problem in the mean time, so from now on Project Cars 2 will be supported
    • In Race: Lap Times and Pace Time are now color coded. Green means that the driver is slower than the player, red means he is faster.
    • Added the ability to disable fluent animations of drivers position and timing bar do decrease CPU usage of the app.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    v 2.7.5 pushed to the autoupdater (manual download - https://github.com/Winzarten/SecondMonitor/releases/download/v2.7.5/SecondMonitor.msi)

• New Feature: Added new "Car Settings Window" where it is possible to specify correcty brake and tyres operating temperatures and pressures. More features can be found at https://github.com/Winzarten/SecondMonitor/wiki/Car-Settings-Window
    • Fix: "Race Progress" sheet should not appear in qualification and practice
    • Fix: "Race Progress" chart should resize correctly
    • Fix: various other fixes :)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    2.7.6 is out :) https://github.com/Winzarten/SecondMonitor/releases/download/2.7.6.139/SecondMonitor.msi

• New Feature: Additional tyre wear information now available on the wheel - color code of tyre icon + absolute condition as % shown at the wheel info.
    • New Feature: Car settings window reaorganized a little bit. No/Low/Heavy tyre wzear limits can now specified in the car settings window
    • Fix R3E: "Unvailable" tyre compound reported by R3E sim now displayed as "Prime"

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tyger

Tyger Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    By far and away the most reliable and most informative and most compact of them all. 'Nuff said. VWD!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    V 2.8.0 is up in the autoupdater
    Main feature is the replacement of the position circle with a real track map. The app needs one valid lap to lear a track layout, but after that it will display a regular track map. More feature will most likely come to this map later like colored sectors..
    https://github.com/Winzarten/SecondMonitor/wiki/Track-Map

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tyger

Tyger Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    WOW!

17. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Pushed v2.8.1 containing few updated to the track map:
    • Track Map: Added the ability to rotate the track map.
    • Track Map: Increased border around map (works only for newly created maps).
    • Track Map: Sectors should now change color based on status (best personal/session sector times, yellow sectors). Yellow flags sadly do not work in assetto corsa yet, hopefully in next version it will be fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    2.8.3 is live. It adds the ability to mark any driver with a custom outline, this marking is preserved between sessions and application restarts. So it is ideal to mark a championship rival, or another driver you would like to quickly find in the grid/on the map.
    https://github.com/Winzarten/SecondMonitor/wiki/Driver-Marking

This will be most likley the last feature for a while, as I'm starting to work on another app that will accompany second monitor - a telemetry viewer, for all the data Second Monitor is able to query from the supported simulators, but have no real use in a realtime timing app, but could on the other hand be usefull for individual lap analysis. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tyger

Tyger Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'll say it again - the best there is - bar far - i include another 'very' well known app.
    If there was a way to 'record data' and replay it back, this would be usefull, especially for replays!

20. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Lets assume I am a complete idiot...... I have downloaded the app and have a second monitor attached. How do I get this app to display on it? Will it be fullscreen or will it be windowed. Do I need to run the game in fullscreen or windowed mode? I need the absolute basic instructions on running this. (Cant find instructions on this in the wiki)

Thanks