OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Joshua Ceesay

Joshua Ceesay New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My VR experience has been absolutely horrendous using the Oculus. Framerates don't go up to 90 FPS on the lowest of settings. I have an i5 3470 3.2 GHz and a GTX 1070 8GB with which I can run AC and pc2 just fine. Whenever I do set it to the lowest of settings (even -vr 1.0) the frame rate won't lock to 45 FPS for longer than 2 minutes until it desperately attempts to reach 90 again. This happens although I have messed with the Debug Tool, Tray Tool, SteamVR's ASR and SS, frame capping with RTSS and turning off f.lux. What the hell is going on, could someone please help me out? I am stress testing with 21 AI on Brandshatch Indy because I usually race in singleplayer

I tried nearly everything... Pre-rendered frames didn't do the trick either.

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    CPU im afraid ! How does it perform with only you on track ?
    I can't get 90 with my system ! rF2 , AC and pC2 all locked to 90 but R3E is locked to 45 unless i want to run no shadows (which i don't) so i se Ctrl +3 to lock to 45 in R3E !

3. Joshua Ceesay

Joshua Ceesay New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Shit just hits the fan with 21 AI. It runs fine when I am alone. Usually, around 90 when I am on an open straight and it switches to 45 ASW when it gets a little busier. I am okay with it running 45 at ASW, like, that would be perfect in my case actually since it seems way more consistent. However, as I have mentioned, R3E goes ham when going CTRL + 3 (I think that was forced 45 ASW, right?). The compositor seems to cause those weird judders and generally speaking make it very inconsistent in terms of FPS. Literally, 60 to 70 FPS is what it unlocks to after those two minutes past, it is hellishly annoying.

Btw, what kind of improved my overall performance in R3E was setting "-vr 1.0" within race room and changing SS in the Debug Tool to 1.5 or 2.0 (depending on the occasion).

4. oliver.johann

oliver.johann New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the same problem also in rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa Competizione. After a few minutes ASW stops working and I have 50-70 fps and stuttering. I don't think it has anything to do with CPU or GPU because it also happens in the menu of rF2 for example, which uses very few resources.

5. Leynad

Leynad New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    VR in RR is destroyed here thanks to an update some while ago. I did a fresh Windows 10 and Raceroom install and even switched the headset, but VR is broken. I'm using a 4k-display and usually was running RR in 1080p window, which does work kind of, but now i can't hit the buttons because the mouse is not hitting the right spot. If i launch a race both displays in both headsets (Oculus and Samsung Odyssey) show me two very different camera angles.

RR was running some time pretty well in VR and why are you destroying your own game with horrible updates?

PS: People with Oculus-problems should use older GTX-drivers. Just 388.xx were working here.

6. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    This is odd - I have an embarrassing amount of hours in RR.. and I’ve never done a single non VR lap. I see these sorta posts from time to time - if you want help I’d recommend stating what vr headset you have.

Main things I see are steamvr updates causing issues or the silly oculus home stuff not behaving as intended.

I’ve literally had 3 days in the last 18+ months that a patch from RR had any affect on VR (the controller profile delete bug messed me up).

I’m on a vive and vive pro setup using steamVR.

7. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    This sounds more like an nvidia or steamVR problem, not something that changed in raceroom.. for instance, the steamVR application specific SS setting was bugged out at some point, causing incorrect scaling, while the global SS setting worked fine.

8. Leynad

Leynad New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Seems I have to repeat myself: I reinstalled Windows 10 fresh on another drive and RR as well with the same problems than before/after one of your devastating updates. I'm done with this shit and just launch other sims. Your updates sucks! Two game destroying bugs are in a complete fresh install and everything was working fine some time ago.

9. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Check your SS in Steam VR and yourey done.

10. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Hm played yesterday some raced in VR online with a friend. Only drawback was the lack of players.

11. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    I don't think you're going to get a great deal of help when you communicate that way. I've not experienced any of the issues you mention and have win10 and a cv1 rift. Also recently did a reinstall due to a major PC rebuild with new components. Seems like the issue is somewhere your side. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Does someone know, which settings affect the processor and which affect the GPU?
    Because on Nordschleife VLN with 40 GT3s and mine in the middle, my GPU idles with 65 percent on start and CPU it's the barrier with 95 percent single core impact.

13. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    Shadows, visible cars, detail settings generally affect the CPU the most. For VR in my testing shadows had an especially huge impact on CPU time, which is why i run with shadows and car shadows off, only contact shadows on to stay at 90 fps

14. Pit54

Pit54 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    So I need some help RaceRoom in VR with Rift.
    Since yesterday evening I can't get a decent picture. See everything double.
    In ACC the picture is fine no problems.
    I drove in RaceRoom on Thursday, everything was OK.
    So that you have an idea what I see here my view.
    What can I do, Steam Vr has already reinstalled will reinstall the graphics driver of Nvidia 416.34 make again

Everything's back to normal.
    Error was a setting in Steam VR

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  15. Leynad

Leynad New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you are right. RR seems the only game in VR that can't handle Steam-SS, but now i have another Game-braker: No mouse-control in VR. This stupid invisible mouse-borders no other sim has are annoying as fu..., but i can't control the mouse at all in VR in RR with my Odyssey. I launch it another time and mouse is working, but the sound is going to my SimVibe-shakers. The VR-experience is the worst in sim-business today (even it could be one of the best) and i don't want to deal with it.

PS: Just got everything to work and even with 3.0 Supersampling it looks ridiculous bad. Are you smoking too much pot or why VR is so much worse compare to one year ago?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Define too much! lol
    I haven't tried R3E in a while, is it really worse

17. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Nope - nothing was changed on VR-side since several month...

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    And it looks like in the beginning.
    Question is, who smokes the pot.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Leynad

Leynad New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I just renewed my iRacing-subscription because Raceroom fails to provide an alternative. You know what i had to do to get my Odyseey working in iRacing with the best VR-graphics available: click okay! That's all.

Raceroom failed with my old system providing solid VR-support and updates killed it for me. And with my fresh Windows- and RR-install it still sucks. Certainly one big reason why even rF2 is more popular these days. Running rF2 in VR is a bit more than clicking okay, but it runs well and looks much better than RR.

And really it's S3S fault here. The windscreen looks like it's wrapped in foil but through the side-windows it's clear. WTF?
    What's the problem in providing proper and easy to use VR-support? Only ACC sucks more on default, but they introduced it a few weeks ago, not over a year and i guess it will beat RR in a few days already.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  20. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2