Absolutely phenomenal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BreadedVirus, Oct 9, 2018.

1. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Just done 2 races with the 2015 WTCC cars at Monza and Mid Ohio.

Not had such fantastic racing in a race game in a LONG time.

Thank you very much.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  2. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    You should try the WTCR cars.
    They are even better and the AI is fantastic!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MRGreeny74

MRGreeny74 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Agree, but the AI is only very good ;-). To be fantastic it needs fine-tuning, especially in the braking zones and in the turns. If Sector3 should make some fine-tuning the AI would be fantasic, best Sim ever.

4. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Agree but fantastic compared to othe games

Braking zones are a personal thing..some say they brake too eary..others too late. I find it’s a bit of both but this enables me to abuse their weaknesses which counters their strengths. Same for corners, they get me on the sweeping curves but I make it up in the slower hair pins.

But every player has their own strengths and weaknesses so i’m not sure how you could program an ai to recognise the individual players preferences.

I am curious, what game has better ai?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  5. dungbeetle

dungbeetle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Personally, I have found RF2 to be very good.

6. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Of course, none. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I agree ;)

I mentioned in another one of my posts that RF2 is the closest but for me (for the most part) the ai in R3E just works and whilst aggression sliders and this slider and that slider sound like a great idea; I found I spent more time trying to figure out the best ai settings to meet my needs but I never really got that butt puckering feeling I get racing R3E's WTCR and GT's

I'm finding that with every new release the AI are better save a couple of chicane issues already pointed out.
    DTM ai need some loving from you guys but racing the ai in the 2015 WTCC, the WTCR and GT's put a huge smile on my face ...just like this>>:)

Besides it's the whole package of AI, immersive sounds and graphics that has me totally hooked on R3E and spoilt every other racing game I own.

8. dungbeetle

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Amen to that, brother.

Plus, the physics/force feedback are pretty darn good too.

9. dungbeetle

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    A few plus points I've noticed about rF2 AI:
    1. They appear to be very spacially aware which means door to door racing with them is fun and generally trouble free.
    2. I rarely get 'tagged' and spun by the AI from behind on the left and right rear quater panels on slow and medium speed corners and bends - probably due to point 1. above.
    3. On the lower AI settings they don't travel artificially slowly on long fast straights, which is where you can generally overtake some other sim's AI quite easily. They maintain a decent pace but are slower around bends which you would expect from real life inexperienced drivers.
    4. They're not completely soft though, so if you change direction at the last minute in the braking zone or don't give them space when side by side for example, you will get clobbered! :D

10. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    rF2 is no doubt a very good sim, AI and otherwise.
    The biggest issue I have with it, is that it's very....clinical, I suppose is the word.
    I get zero immersion from it, so mainly it collects virtual dust on my HDD.
    But to each their own, and all that. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    I do like Raceroom AI overall, but I do have a few issues with it... namely, everyone says the secret to drive with the AI in Raceroom is to treat them like humans, but my best races with the AI is when I imagine they are a bunch of murderous Schwarzenegger's Terminator clones :D

You can indeed learn how to drive with the AI in RR and when you do it's great fun and up there with the best in sim racing, but, to answer your question, I would vote Automobilista as the sim which I consider to have better AI.

In AMS I have all the butt plucking action of RR, with AI that fights me for every position, together with a more human/natural sense of awareness, as well as generally better behaviour when braking for corners.

Also, the AI in AMS has different behavious depending if it's a practice session, or qualifying, or race, or an outlap... they behave accordingly, which is something I would like to see in Raceroom.

12. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I must give Automobilista another go then

13. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    It's definitely improving but your analyses is correct imo, lacking in atmosphere, everything feels like practice.
    Not as bad as AC though, dull and lifeless, just can't get anything out of it, get far more out of ACC than I ever did it's predecessor.
    Back to rF2, early signs from 397 is very promising, whatever they did last update or 2, improved things for me no end. Have had some enjoyable moments in some interesting cars at some very nice tracks, it's getting there.
    My mind does keep wandering back to RR though and updated GT2's, DTM92's, Touring Classics, even some of the more obscure ones appear to be getting a makeover. Great way of giving a bit back to the long term supporters of RR, GT1's felt like getting a new class almost free (who wouldn't buy the Nissan). Could be going so far to the back of the garage, I may well find something I forgot I had, mind you, I forgot I used a walking stick at some point last week and gone, never to be seen again, I'm on about my 15th in 2 years, so I'd ignore all of the above, whatever it says, already forgot!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    The 2014 WTCC pack is now my go to race series on RaceRoom. The cars are absolutely fantastic.

15. Stickdeath1980

Stickdeath1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Wtcc 2013 pretty badass

16. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    This is my only real big grief on AI. When practicing or qualifying and you’re well underway for improving your times and AI cars coming out of the pit when you’re on the straight... They will fight you immediately like a race. No easy outlap, no blue flags to obey for AI. Pretty annoying behaviour.

17. MRGreeny74

MRGreeny74 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Another interesting behavior is that if I leave the race and follow the race on the monitor then there will be a lot of lead changes and nobody of the AI drivers will take a solid lead (DTM series is a good example). Even if a AI driver should be in the lead for 3 seconds (after a pitstop), he will suddenly slow down and let the 2nd place Driver catch up. Once 2nd place or even 3rd and 4th to 5th place AI drivers have catch up, the previous AI Leader goes back on throttle again and all will fight for the lead every lap until the end of the Race.

In short, and this is the big difference to AMS : The AI in R3E needs the Player in the Race. If there is no player available the AI don't care who will win the Race and has just fun with itself. If there is a player available and the Player leads the Race, the AI will do everything they can to catch up to fight with the Player. The AI will mostly avoid battles for 2nd place because not to lose time to the Player and tries everything to catch up.

In AMS : The AI don't care if a Player is available in the Race or not. They do their job like a human player every time.

Conclusion : The AI in R3E is programmed to fight with the human driver. The human driver is their only big rival they need to defeat. In AMS the AI is programmed to race on their own and don't care about the Player.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  18. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Patrick van der Meulen say"Pretty annoying behaviour."

Yes man, in qualifying and race.

MRGreeny74 say "Even if a AI driver should be in the lead for 3 seconds (after a pitstop), he will suddenly slow down and let the 2nd place Driver catch up. Once 2nd place or even 3rd and 4th to 5th place AI drivers have catch up, the previous AI Leader goes back on throttle again and all will fight for the lead every lap until the end of the Race"

Totally agree. This has nothing to do with a simulation this looks like a (

Absolutely phenomenal)

hunt.

Again it is demonstrated that the driving style has nothing to do, the AI is the problem.