New PC or upgrade video card for RaceRoom?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AMarkham40, Jun 3, 2015.

1. AMarkham40

AMarkham40 Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I built a new PC about 4 or 5 years ago & it runs iRacing & GSC great but RR not so much. If I crank the details on RR I average around 20-30fps at the start of a race. Once I lower several settings I can get around 100fps but RR obviously doesn't look as good. Do I need to build a whole new PC or could I just upgrade my graphic card? I only run a single monitor @ 1600X900. Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel I5 2500K Overclocked to 4.1 Ghz
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 SDRAM
    Video Card: 1280MB EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD
    Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W
    Operating System: Windows 7

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. James Nance

James Nance Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    Id say upgrade your graphics card. I got kinda what you got, but using a 980 GTX and I get high frames and very stable, even when theres a lot of cars. Check my youtube channel and you can see how it looks and runs for me on my most recent videos. I just upgraded. If I were you Id try to get an 780 ti or higher maybe? Just an idea.

3. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Turn the shadows and split shadows off, contact shadows should be ok. That should get you higher frame rates, there is a known issue with shadows.

4. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Your system is similar to mine (i5 2500k + 8GB RAM) and R3E runs great for me with a GTX 780, so I'd suggest looking at a new card and your system will be good to go for a few more years yet. The GTX 970 is the best 'bang-for-your-buck' card right now. R3E will fly with that card.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Same here, similar system but I'm running a GTX 960 with only a single screen at 1920 x1080 and it works fine.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  6. AMarkham40

AMarkham40 Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    **UPDATE**

I installed a new GeForce GTX 970 & my framerates are now excellent! I have graphics maxed out & I'm around 70 fps starting last. Once field spreads out I'm around 100!! Thanks guys!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, I'm sort of going to hijack this thread instead of starting a new one now that @AMarkham40 has got his new GPU, nice one on that by the way, I'm not jealous in the slightest! :p

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU but, I'm on a ever shrinking budget, currently I'm looking at the MSI GeForce GTX 750ti, does anyone here use one, what sort of settings can you manage with it etc?
    I am open to suggestions though so, if anyone has any ideas on a top notch GPU on a shoe-string budget, please, let us know!

Pitty Sector3 doesn't sell GPUs, they'd probably make a killing lol.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Why not limit at 60? Less stress on the card = cooler = longer life plus I find a solid framerate (60) nicer to look at than a framerate that goes up and down between 70 and 100. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I think a 750ti will be a bit weak but it depends what your expectations are. What resolution and frame rate are you looking to achieve? What's your budget if you don't mind me asking?

I would seriously consider a second hand card if the budget is tight. Something like a GTX 770 or Radeon R9 280X is what I would aim for as a minimum. You could probably find a used one for around £150.

10. AMarkham40

AMarkham40 Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Hoping this will last me four to five more years like my 570 did!

I actually turned vsync on & have it capped at 60fps now. No more screen tearing!

11. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Budget is whatever I can get away with hiding from the missus, so, £100 or less depending and various things, we aren't a well off family, second hand may be a way to go. Resolution, I'm wanting 1920x1080 so it doesn't have to be anymore than 2GB GDDR5 RAM, could probably get away with less on the right card and a solid 60fps would be nice, obviously we all want higher though and I can just about live with 45.
    I've been looking at the R9 280x cards but they're a bit too power hungry for me (need to keep the electric bill down lol).

12. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I understand mate.

The sweet spot is really about £150 as that will open up options for a second hand 770 or 280X, maybe even a 960 (although I believe the 770 is slightly favourable). Probably not what you want to hear but I think the 750ti would be a false economy, wouldn't give you the performance you want and would need upgrading much sooner.

A second hand 770 (or 280X) would give you a significant performance boost over a 750ti for maybe £40-50 more:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-770-vs-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti
    http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-280X-vs-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti

The 280X does have the advantage of 3GB VRAM which is more future proof.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    @Ronin_GTDave : Try to get a second hand GTX 670. Much better performance than a 750. I wouldn't recommend a Nvidia card with a 50 as tens digit, because of the low performance. Even a very old GTX 570 is faster than a GTX 750.

BTW ...i have a GTX 670 (which is about 3 years old) and this card still manages to give me a very good framerate in even newer games/sims. (e.g. R3E, Assetto Corca, PCARS, The Witcher 3, etc.)
    And i'm using a I5 2500 CPU too.

• Like Like x 1
  14. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Cheers guys, it's information like this that makes this community invaluable :)

Problem is, I've been researching GPUs near enough everyday since February and have got to the point where I've overloaded myself with information about each, first hand experience from you gents is now the most important thing.
    FYI, GPUboss is renown for favoring nVidia in straight comparisons, I find Game-debate.com to be much more neutral and fact based :)

@Ernie, what settings are you using for R3E?

At the moment though, near enough any new(ish) card is going to be better than what I currently have lol.

15. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Can't tell you right now. I'll have to check my gfx settings this evening. Will post it later.

16. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    benefit of the newer cards (like 960) would be much less power consumption than the older mid/high-end ones. (disclaimer: I work for nvidia)

17. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Vsync @60Hz = Input Lag
    I didn't tried since the last update, but it was really obvious when I did some test Vysnc ON Vs VSync OFF.

18. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Cheers mate, I appreciate the effort :)

I like the 960, it would work well for me lol, unfortunately, at this point in time it's well out of my price range (unless you can get a mega discount? :p), even second hand.

I'm working on raising the capital though, really don't want to skimp on a GPU if I can help it but, also need to look at new CPU, PSU and tower (and possibly a new 120mm case fan, one of mine is a little louder then I'd like).
    A lot of those can wait though, GPU is the priority.

19. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Hey Dave, I see a few ways you could go here. First off, buying a used gpu is a pretty good option to get a good card, at a much lower price than retail... and many even come with the warranty attached as a handful of companies dont require you to be the original owner to take part of their warranty program. Off the top of my head, EVGA XFX, MSI, and I believe ASUS all have that benefit. Im sure there are a few others, but those are the first ones I recall hearing about.

Although, it seems like you have said you have already been searching for a few months. What region of the world are you in? I guess that plays a big part of what cards are available at what price. Might I humbly recommend checking out https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap which is a forum where normal people put up for sale their old hardware. Now, it's a pretty reasonable place to look and plenty of people buy gear from others on there, but if that isnt your thing, you could at least get prices in your mind for what used gear sells for. That way, you wont overpay too badly if you find something locally you are comfortable with.

As for a gpu itself, I think it would first be best to hear what power supply you have. Brand, model, and wattage. This is a pretty big determining factor if you need to budget for a new one or not. Typically this is only an issue with pre-built computers which have garbage psu's that are sometimes referred to as "firestarters" because they are so bad lol :p

Anyways, I really wouldnt recommend a gtx 750 ti, it's quite underpowered for what you get, at the price. If you want something fairly cheap, even a gtx 660 is a good deal better and can be found for $120 on sale brand new, or $90-100 used (if they havent been completely phased out of the market yet). Anything in the range of a gtx 660 or better will give you quite a good experience at 1080p. I have 2 of these, although both dont work in R3E (sli functionality isnt implemented) and with a full grid of cars and most settings maxed out, I get a minimum of 60 fps in races. Obviously a more robust card would give better results.

On AMD's side, the R9 270x is a great value for the price as well. Usually like $120 on sale in the US. It performs better than my gtx 660, at about the same price. It sounds like going much higher than those will be a bit out of your price range for now. If you can stretch a bit further, the R9 280 is a good choice as well which can be found for $150 or so on sale.

There are plenty of good gpu's out there, the trouble is just finding a good one at an affordable price :p

If you are interested in any more info, Id be glad to offer up anything I can do to help. Although, I would humbly recommend perusing http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU14/815 which is one of the better benchmarking sites out there. You can check out all of the gpus listed throughout the thread, and check their performance compared to each other, and see their general temperatures and other stats. It's quite a handy resource. :)

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  20. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    My R8 280 (3gig) is able to run everything maxed out (with an i5 4690 cpu) except for motion blur (don't like it anyway) and reflections. If you can find a cheap one (I paid £120 for mine) they're a good bet for RaceRoom, but if you play PCars as well then it's got to be a nVidia card