FFB Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KW Studios, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Strange, looks like a bug. It shouldn't go under the minimum force line. I don't see that on my FFB Meter, but I use different settings (like minimum force on 3%). Do you see that with every car? Maybe open a bug report... o_O

2. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    That's interesting. How do I submit a bug report? I can't find a place in the forum to do it. :oops:

3. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    In this forum, when you open a new thread you can select the tag "Bug".

4. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Thank you.

5. FloydSG

FloydSG New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello, does someone as a "good" ffb settings for a T300RS please ?
    I have the feeling that mine is not so good after all the game update.
    thanks a lot for your settings :kissingheart:

6. Barbie

Barbie Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Here's mine:

Everything Default in the Trustmaster Panel

Force Feedback Intensity: 100%
    Smoothing: 25%
    Force Feedback Spring: 0%
    Force Feedback Damper: 0%

Steering Force Intensity: 100%
    Force Feedback Minimum Force: 5%
    Understeer: 60%
    Vertical Load: 40%
    Lateral Force: 40%
    Steering Rack: 100%

Slip Effect: 25%
    Engine Vibrations: 0%
    Kerb Vibrations: 30%
    Shift Effect: 30%
    Collision Effect: 100%

It's not so far from the default one except for Steering Force Intensity (from 70% to 100%). This one changes everything to me in terms of tyre load feeling. With it at 70%, it's too weak compared to the others effects (understeer,slip effect...). So other effects are there but the wheel feels too light.

I bumped Minimum Force to 5% to get rid of the deadzone.
    and removed Smoothing completely (I might add a bit to limit off-track saturation). Edit: => reverted to default 25%

Canned effects like Slip/Engine/Kerb/Shift/Collision are to be adjusted from personnal preferences.

After that you can adjust the FFB strength per car if needed.

It took me a lot of time understanding & fiddling with the settings to find this, so I hope It will help you through you quest for perfect FFB ^^.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Try upping your Minimum Force to 25 or so. Then up your vertical load to 150 and lateral to 120, upping the slip effect can feel good but not on all cars. Only a base but feels great on my TX300

8. FloydSG

FloydSG New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
  9. rzsmith

rzsmith Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Can someone help me with my G920 settings?

I can' seem to get it set up to detect understeer, even though I have the Understeer setting jacked up to 100%. When the front starts pushing the steering force just doesn't seem any lighter.

10. Barbie

Barbie Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    You should also try with understeer effect set to 0%, the wheel should feel heavier. This way you can feel if their is an actual difference between Understeer effect OFF or ON.

11. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    How is the FFB Meter, maybe you get clipping?

12. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Would these settings work with the T150?

13. Barbie

Barbie Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I don't know. My guess would be no, but you can try them at least.

14. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Hello
    On my small mige
    I can not feel the wheel lock when braking. do you have a setting for that? thank you

15. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,507 / 0 / -0
    If you increase the "understeer" setting you should feel the wheel become light when tyres are losing grip (locking).

But i have no experience with the Mige, so not sure what settings you have in the firmware.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cisco7501

cisco7501 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    please a setup for the fanatec csl elite ps4. thank you

17. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Stock is good

18. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    After accidentally having messed up my FFB and hardware steering settings, i had to mess around with the FFB tuning menu and hardware axis menu. Have not done that sicne a long time. I must conclude from the very frustrating experience that this overly complicated options menu with those many - for the most: badly explained - options, noi doubt must be one of Raceroom sbiggest wekanesses. Or to be mroe precise: I think it is a terrible mess. There are too many options and it is way to difficult to naviogate around while actually knbpowing what one is doing, and what settings.

I must recommend to design this interface section from scratrch, and with a strong focus on simplifying the procedure of dialing in your preferred FFB setup. Too many options, too many axis, to badly explkained for the most.

KEEP IT SIMPLE. Two thirds, if not more, of what there is now in settings and options, should be cut. Its confusing, and not clear what it actually does.

I can understand that many players testing raceroom and then abandoning it, often complain about not getting the FFB they want or expect. I experimented for three hours now, and still my setup is not like before, and not what I want. Really, its a very messed up interface, wayyyy to overcomplicated. It were three very annying and frustrating hours, and I am still in the middle of nowhere.

And it gets even more complicated for those using wheels with inbuild hardware-sided setup options for FFB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Edit: Wall of text warning. :p

TL; DR: fewer ffb options != good ffb

I see this sentiment shared among various sim racing forums every so often, and every time it comes up, it always sounds just as misguided and frankly naive as the last time.

Your entire argument boils down to the thought that having too many FFB options can be confusing with some options being unclear as to what they do, so FFB as a whole would be better if developers simplified the task of setting up FFB by removing most options and not allowing the player to make changes. So in essence, the fewer FFB options, the better the FFB should be, due to the devs 'dialing in' the FFB and having good default profiles, or being able to perfect the FFB for every wheel available.

This is quite fallacious and going back to the dawn of time when FFB was introduced into racing games, this thought has not been true. Having no FFB (or very minimal) FFB options does not inherently mean that the FFB is good and does not need any tweaks.

Let's phrase this sentiment another way to show why it's misguided. Having few/no FFB options should mean that the FFB is dialed in or nearly perfected for every wheel that exists and that no tweaks would need to be made. So, overall strength is perfect, road feel and subtle details are perfect, no clipping would exist on any wheel, countersteering would be perfect and your wheel would neither be too resistant to rotation or rotate too freely, etc. So, the default profiles should be seen as being the developers representation of what 'perfect' FFB is... For every wheel that exists.

This is a utopian view that does not exist in reality. Every wheel has their differences, and every person has their preferences. And without resorting to hyperbole, the default settings in most games are not very solid.

Why does having the availability of options bother you? What you are saying in essence is, "I do not understand how to set up my FFB with these options, so you should not be allowed to have these options at your disposal even if you can benefit from them." If the options bother you, resort to the above sentiment where fewer FFB options = the devs dialing in the FFB... and realize that the default profiles, even with all of the FFB options, are still what the developers want you to feel and how they intend the FFB to feel. They are just displaying these options if you dont like their offering so you can make adjustments.

FFB settings are rather analogous to overclocking computer hardware. Should Intel, AMD, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, etc. completely lock down all overclocking settings and not allow the user to adjust any of the 20 different cpu related voltages, the various RAM timings, or cpu speeds just because 12 year old little Timmy might not know what to do with the voltages?

Would it be better if the manufacturers got rid of all settings and instead offered a single button that said "overclock now!" and all it did was overclock your cpu a small amount. Not getting anywhere near it's unique maximum, regardless of what voltages it needs, regardless of the temperatures generated, and regardless of how efficient this is?

Am I saying more options is better? No, of course not. This is made perfectly clear by how horrible Pcars (1) FFB is even though they have 40 different FFB settings on offer in multiple different menus. What Im saying is, when the FFB is inherently good or at least decent, allowing the user to fine tune and tweak things does not come at the expense of anyone who does not understand or does not want to make changes.

I whole-heartedly disagree here.

2/3rds or more of the FFB options should be removed? Really? Do you really believe that?

Gain, damper, spring, smoothing, minimum force... are any of these confusing? I agree that some could be removed as they are pointless, such as damper or spring here in RR, but none of those should be confusing to anyone.

Understeer, vert force, lat force. Do you want to feel understeer? Adjusting that is self explanatory. Do you want to feel more bumps and things? Increase vert force. Do you want to feel more lateral forces such as when you are loading up the tires in corners? Increase lat force. Those should be self explanatory too.

Engine, collision, kerb, and shift. If you cant figure those out... have mercy :p

Steering force, Steering rack, and slip effect are the only potentially confusing ones.

How do you know what a setting does? Spend 5 minutes by isolating that setting and testing changes you make. Go from 0% to 100% for instance. Spend time and find a balance if you like the changes that were felt, or leave it as default if you dont. The mere availability of options does not mean you have to touch them!

To wrap up, why are options needed? I'll just take the most recent example of bad FFB... ACC just released a few months ago.

When it released, countersteering was nearly impossible due to the severe and extreme damper implementation that was included in the FFB code. I literally could not turn my wheel in the opposite direction because there was so much damping going on that was preventing my wheel from rotating to the opposite direction. This is how the devs originally implemented the FFB and this was their intention for how it was supposed to feel.

Without people complaining about this and the devs subsequently including a damper slider in game, the FFB would have been garbage and gone unusable for many people. In your view, the original implementation without any settings to be able to adjust this as the end user was perfect and how the FFB should have been, not including any programming bugs. Do you see why that argument is misguided and doesnt hold up?

20. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Its not about final FFB results and whether it is as good as AC or not, its about the way to get there. To me, AC1 and ACC still have the edge there, though Raceroom has gotten extremely close to it. But AC1 - and ACC even more! - get you set up with your FFB and general controler axis tuning in a more simple fashion that - compared to RR - simply operates outside competition. Raceroom makes it incredibly complicated and an excessive task of trial and error. Just look at the FFB setup options in ACC, and be amazed.

Its simply too much.

And explanations of the kind "Metadimensional cross-smoothing of warpdrive regulation - this is where you set the metadimensional cross-smoothing of the warpdrive regulation" are not needed by anyone, when reading such "explanations", I feel pranked, honestly said. Waste of time to even write that.

There have been many opportunities when i read in forums that somebody tried RR, and left it again because he found the FFB not comoarable to his favoured sim, mostly it was AC. I can understand that and often have said on such occasions that the guy in question probably simply failed in getting his FFB correctly tuned for the wheel he uses. I am with RR since 2015 - and now I am in the same situation like some just newly arrived beginner.

It should be simplified. Tremendously so. The standard that shows the way , indeed is like Assetto corsa handles it, the whole controller axis and FFB setup. Its as effective in results, but gets you there with just a fraction of FFB and axis options needed to be tried. When I set up ACC 6 weeks ago, I entered the axis menu once and the FFB menu twice to correct the earlier input for total FFB strength. And that was it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.