The future of Raceroom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by playlessNamer, Sep 13, 2018.

1. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Rather than dig thru this whole thread , is there a replay of the stream ?

2. AlexBlob

AlexBlob Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    A lot of online stuff in R3E is leagues, with a few people doing SRS. R3E peaks around 300 players a day so a league with 20+ people is a lot if you compare that to the total of the game.

3. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    In the upcoming patch? ;)

4. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I too have a hard time to believe that MP should be dominating in racing, may it be RR or AC. Thousands of copies being sold, but you only see a handful of players online in the RR menu lobbies at any time, add to that some dozens more or hundreds in leagues, that still hardly makes a majority. With AC's - I assume- higher sales numbers (at least they have several times as many active players according to Steam statistics last time I checked them), its even clearer a discrepancy when you look at the - much higher - intensity in their online lobbies, and compare that to the number of customers.

I find it difficult to buy that argument of MP being bigger than SP.

Personally, I do not do organised league MP at all, and only rarely can be watched doing some laps on the Nordschleife or at Spa in RR or AC. I knew several people in RL sharing this hobby - bot none of them ever goes online or visits a forum - and they are much younger than I am. In this social circle I am already the active the online beast: with one or at best two days per month online.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Am I more interested in singleplayer? No.
    Do I spend at least 95% of my sim time in singleplayer? Yes.
    I'm just not competitive enough for multiplayer :(

Today I fired up a GT2 @ Spa server on Assetto Corsa, and while I was doing mostly 2.25 laps (and a 2.24 as my fastest lap), the fastest guys where doing 2.17, and at least half of the racers where doing 2.20 or less... I can see how I'm loosing maybe a couple seconds, but not much more than that. Even if I had any idea how to properly setup cars (which I don't) I don't think any setup would make me 7 seconds faster.

Guess I just take simracing too casually to actually improve and get competitive... and jumping all the time between different sims and cars/tracks doesn't help.

My only hope for multiplayer is that someone comes up with an iRacing-like system that would allow me to easily find fellow slow drivers to race with without costing me a kidney in subscriptions. Get on it Sector 3! :D

• Like Like x 4
  6. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm i only race with RD folks and i must admit there's always someone to fight with, no matter your own pace. Multiplayer only for me, unless its beamng or carmageddon :D

7. Destin65

Destin65 Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0

I understand what you intend but I would urge caution in how such a system is implemented for a couple of reasons.

1. If the problem is a lack of populated races then this will make it even more so.

2. Many games who have "matchmaker" systems are often disliked for that very reason and how they interpret fair matches, which means they often get it very wrong when they put the 'pros' who have been there since beta against hapless newbies who have only been playing a week or two. Then see #1 all over again when they fix such a system. Games like World of Tanks has this problem with "I wait forever for a match" and then "I get put in a match with people far out of my level (above or below)".

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Destin65

Destin65 Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I play mostly single player for a few reasons, but the most obvious of which is that I want to take my time and learn the tracks and cars as much as possible so that I can feel competent enough that I won't ruin someone else's race and/or embarrass myself by wrecking a lot.

I'm an older simmer who remembers all of the hellfire and brimstone from the playerbase thrown about in games like the Papyrus Nascar stuff especially. For such an interest game it had one of the most toxic gaming communities surrounding it. Now they're all in iRacing playing the same exact game 16 years later and they're not here, so that makes me happy.

I do multiplayer also, but I'm usually interested in certain kinds of races. Proper races, whether multiclass or not, and lasting long enough to make it interesting, i.e. more than 5-10 minutes. I don't mind doing a 5 minute Silhouette race now and then, but dozens of races night after night gets stale. I understand it's probably the most popular at any given moment due to it being the free content races, but like others the wreckfests are kind of annoying.

So yeah, that's why I do a lot of championships or occasional single events with Adaptive AI. This game has some of the better AI out there and AAI means they're gonna be pretty competitive to my level. I don't mind getting skunked by better players in online races so long as the races are enjoyable, hehe. I know I'm not the best, so when I go online I only expect to finish the best I can and try to acquit myself well.

9. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    our community is too small that "drop in" MP could work well (hell even on the super big games like was said match making often doesn't really work), hence the importance of oganized races like leagues and SRS, where at least at some fixed point in time you try to have enough crowd that there is interesting battles in a race.
    My main issue with SP has become that I don't take it as serious anymore (my own discipline issue), so there is really no other option than MP, almost exclusively race SRS these days. That said the multi-class in automobilista is also fun (porsche 70s mod + the 80s golfs etc. is kinda fun chasing around), so multi-class could bring me back to SP for r3e as well.

10. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Well only have my own experience to rely on but back in the day it was all LAN parties (internet was either not invented or way too slow), that died with wives and kids, from then on it was usually a case of hot lapping at a friends occasionally with a bit of practice at home, then GTR arrived as did BT home highway so, for me; multiplayer was born. I have, over the years spent hours with careers and the multitude of spin off single player guff. I have found single player mode only good for learning of tracks at best and maybe a bit of close quarter car control, little else. Driving against real people is imho the only way to improve, if that is indeed what your goal is. These days I'm not prolific with practice but do enjoy the Leaderboards and comps, although I'm limited physically so have to kerb my ambition. My point (there is one somewhere) is, I may well run a few laps on the LB of the car/track combo of RD's next event, to get a gauge of ones pace. When it comes to qualifying of said event I manage a comparable time and slot onto the grid. If I'm stuck in a fight from the off then, without misfortune ahead, I will finish roughly where I started BUT get away with the faster group before you know it you are chipping tenths off you best time every lap and if you can keep up, I guarantee if you go back on the LB you will improve your time. You can follow a Robot forever and learn nothing, follow someone who is actually faster through craft rather than code and you will learn that faster line forever!
    My mantra has always been variety is the spice of life and I stand by it but if you want to get faster then race against people that are faster than you are, regularly. This of course raises its own problems in finding where to do this regularly and for me that is with clubs, RD for example, 3 race nights a week, competition on the LB for that weeks combo's and a bunch of friendly, like minded people having fun, what's not to like. Then there is SRS, which I was keen for but found the early days to be a bit like MP in RR but on steroids, I was beaten into submission eventually and have not been on it for months. RR needs to incorporate their ranking system asap. Have to admit I didnee like the waiting about either, if the system was incorporated into every RR race then we all benefit but as I said racing against similarly paced people is fun, racing against faster people will make you faster.
    Whatever floats your boat, as long as your racing RR your a winner in my eyes! :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I often read here about "no playing single because of the lack of ai selector".

For me speaking it is true. Sonseless to race a offline GT3 race. Sadly....

12. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    But in multiplayer you can't choose the opponent cars either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    But the Server-Admin can select the available cars. So if he only wants the latest GT3-Cars, he just select them instead of the whole class...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's hardly a deal breaker....as much as I want an ai selector I still enjoy racing the GT3 field. BMW Z4 isn't current gen but it's still my favourite GT3 car and probably always will be....

15. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    I also would like to see an ai selector, but "no playing single because of the lack of ai selector" is a bit silly IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Your opinion.

Just seeing the backs of the Mustangs, Alpines and Fords makes me sick, meanwhile.

And dont forget about the 4 or 5 Glicks in the grid. The SLS and the old R8....if i wanna make phantasy races i choose a "Legends" game.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    The R8 ans SLS is the smallest problem, sure.

18. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I don't like the mustang and the p3/4 but the other I'm not fussed with. There are plenty of real world series that run a mix of new and older machinery, its all pretend anyway isn't it. I'm sitting in my garage in a pretend racing car for goodness sake lol

In any case I'm fairly confident that an AI selector is coming soon....

19. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, sure. Everyone is confident about this. Since years....

20. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's been announced. Anyway, why moan about it. It's a free to play sim, no one forced you to buy any content and no-one promised any kind of ai selector when you did. Why do some people have to pick fault with everything rather than look at the positives....it's a great game, it's cheap and it's still in development 5 years after coming out. Many games have come and gone in that time.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1