[REL] OpenOVR: possible performance boost for Oculus owners.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Iron Wolf, Sep 25, 2018.

1. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Getting an error when running R3E (either "Play 64-bit" or "Launch R3E 64-bit"). Now using Oculus-small version. Any ideas?
    upload_2018-11-24_13-5-31.png

PS. What's the file size of your open_vr.dll for R3E? I noticed the size of his latest is 1,013Mb and causes R3E to crash, while the one I have is only 1.008Mb (with the error above).

Update: Got it working now using the one you made (OC_tiwm_0.6.0, same as that for rF2 - 1,024Mb). I previously was using ZNix's file, per the link in post #14.
    Think you should update the link to your file in post #14, instead of to ZNix's file?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  2. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I stated my fork (let's call it WOC, because Wolf's Composite doesn't shorten nicely :D) because I disagree with engineering practices in the original project. Also, main dev does not seem to welcome contributions.

That said, I do not want to advertise my fork, because it is confusing. I will move off Oculus and abandon it as soon as I can, also, I have no interest in supporting general layer dll, as there's pretty much only one game I care about on the market atm. Let's hope that main OC dev stops doing whatever he is doing, merges my changes correctly and everyone could continue using one main .dll.

That said, yes, my fork v0.6.0.0 still supports Raceroom.

I will not answer questions about main OC .dll, please reach out to dev on discord.

3. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Hi TIW. I don't want to sound complicated, but all I'm asking is which OC open_vr.dll file should run for R3E, that's all. No need to worry about support for the other OC, I'm not asking for any. I just had an error and wanted to know why, as I mistakenly used the other OC w/c didn't work w/ R3E and didn't know why at first. I then just wanted confirmation which one works for R3E, that's all. And if it is your version (ie. 0.6.0), w/c as you say is the one that supports R3E, thanks for confirming it. So same file for both R3E and rF2.

Also, I just made a suggestion that the link in page 1 be clarified or corrected because that version won't work for R3E, and it's indicated with a link giving an impression it's the one for R3E, that's all. :) Thanks again.

4. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Last time I checked, main OC was broken, but maybe developer will fix it, I do not know. This is one of the reasons I forked, because in main project, .dll is rebuilt on every change, without testing, without validation - so you never know if it works or no, and you never know which version you actually have or what changed (no changelist). I proposed correct versioning and release strategy, but both suggestions were dismissed.

My version 0.6.0.0 worked with R3E for me, but unfortunately, going forward I will not test R3E with it, so there are no guarantees R3E will work on future versions of my fork.

• Like Like x 1
  5. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    crashes for me. I'm a bit confused is there another version you did that works?

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Hope it's ok to jump in here !

I also mainly use another sim (RF2), but the version of WOC that works for that also works fine in RaceRoom.

Link Here: https://gitlab.com/TheIronWolfModding/OpenOVR/blob/master/README.md

You need to make sure the OpenComposite.ini file has the correct flags set as follows:
    Supersampleratio should be set according to your PC/GPU specs obviously.

supersampleRatio=1.0
    enableLayers=true
    enableCubemap=true
    threePartSubmit=true
    useViewportStencil=true
    dx10Mode=true

When you extract the files, just check the .ini file as it was formated all on one line for me, so i had to alter and save it.
    Hope this helps.

Note: As has been stated before, the gains are limited at best in RaceRoom, in comparison to RF2 where they are large.
    That said, it's one less thing to load with SteamVR now redundant on my PC!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Matt. enableCubemap better be false for R3E.

• Like Like x 2
  8. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Since the Steam VR goes messed up more and more I've been forced to try this now out.

I have some questions now:
    Now it is like: Oculus Home Starts - Steam VR Starts, Oculus Home goes to standby - Raceroom starts.
    How is it with OpenOVR?

And: Can I play SRS with OpenOVR and Raceroom? Now it starts Raceroom with the VR Parameter, so Steam VR starts first, then Raceroom.

Thank you!

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  9. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if it is the latest oculus client version or Nvidia driver but I've got better performances in VR. Before, after starting the oculus client my videocard frequency was immediately at 1400mhz but now it is 400mhz...the normal idle frequency let's say...

10. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I am a bit unsure about this OpenOVR thing here.

I only renamed the original dll, pasted the downloaded in and created the ini file.
    That's all? Nothing to do now?

It seems to work, but I'm unsure, because it was that easy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    @The Iron Wolf
    OpenOVR works fine here. (I'm using the rF2 dll)
    But i get no screen mirror. The mirror window on desktop is black. Is there an option/parameter to enable it?

My "opencomposite.ini" looks like:
    Code:
    supersampleRatio=1.3
    useViewportStencil=true
    threePartSubmit=true
    enableLayers=true
    dx10Mode=true

12. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    No @Ernie there's no special code for that in WOC. In rF2 it just works, so I've no idea why it does not work in R3E.

All supported parameters are listed and explained on the project page.

PS: turn off cubemap, it was not used in R3E last time I had game installed.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  13. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    There is a keybinding for screen mirror. Have you tried that? Works perfectly here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    uhm .... which one?

15. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    It is in the button settings under VR called "toggle Monitor View"

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    i remember trying it few months ago and it was crashing but after today's issues i tried that rf2 version and so far everything seems smoothy smooth

17. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. Found it and it works. Screen mirror is now visible.:cool:

18. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I download the rF2 version and set it up as described above. However, although the game starts successfully and displays on my monitor, I just get a black screen in my headset. Headset is working fine as the guardian box still shows, and R3E works if I go back to SVR mode. Anyone know what the problem is?

19. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Do you have made the room setup process within Oculus Software?
    Could be, that the picture is behind you, if not .

20. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Maybe the menu screen is somewhere else or not visible because of your VR roomscale setup.
    I'd advice you to start in non-VR first. Then map a key for the VR position reset. After that, start in VR and reset position by pressing the mapped key.

• Agree Agree x 1