Question Is there a way to run triple monitors without Nividia Surround?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Dracer, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Dracer

Dracer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I really enjoy RaceRoom, especially the GTO and 92 DTM cars, along with many others.

I just recently was finally able to set up 3 monitors for sim racing. I am using an Nividia GPU but if I try to use Surround it messes up some of my other programs

Is there a way to set up triple monitors in RaceRoom without using Nividia surround?

I have been able to get them working in iRacing, AC, Automobilista and Rfactor 2, RaceRoom is the only one I have not been able to figure out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. OtterNas3

OtterNas3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    If you run the game in windowed or windowed borderless, yes

you would need to make a custom resolution in the nvidia control panel, which is the size of all you monitors together:
    5760x1080 as example if you monitors are all 1980x1080

You can then set this in the game and use the startup options of R3E to make the triple screen work

Bad video quality but he explains the steps for making a custom reoslution

3. Dracer

Dracer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Otter, Thank you for your help. I will give that a try this evening!

4. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    You are able to use proper triple screen with perspective correction in all these games without nVidia surround?

5. Dracer

Dracer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately I was not able to set up the custom resolution in Nvidia control panel. Each time I try to set it up I get a notice that my monitor does not support that resolution and I can not proceed to save the custom resolution.

Is there not a way to save the custom resolution directly into a file in RaceRoom similar to the way it is done in Rfactor 2 and Automobilista?

Thanks

6. Dracer

Dracer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Case,

iRacing, Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2 all work great with triple screens, with all bezel correction, side monitor angle adjustments etc., no problems at all and it can be done without having to use nVidia Surround.

Automobilista works as far as the side monitor angle adjustments and such, but the only thing that does not work is the bezel correction as there is no method within Automobilista to make the bezel correction size entries.

7. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    That's weird, this is the first time I've ever heard of those games working with triples without the use of nVidia Surround. Gotta take your word for it, I guess.

8. OtterNas3

OtterNas3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    If you did the custom resolution as shown in the vid you can just ignore the warning about the not compatible resolution.
    There is a window that opens when you hit "test" which you have to apply with "Yes it is working ok" it's possible that you dont see the window, cause it will open on the monitor you run the test for. That monitor normally goes dark cause of course it cant handle that resolution ^^
    If that is the case move your nvidia panel to another monitor, before you test the custom resolution, so the window, to accept the res, opens on that one instead of the monitor that goes dark while the test is run.

If you applied it you are able to save it,

This is just need so the custom resolution appears in RaceRoom as selectable.
    You would need to set your Game to "Windowed" or "Windowed Borderless", then select the display ratio for the custom resolution and it shoould be available to select.

9. Dracer

Dracer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Case, It was very easy to set up the triples without Nvidia surround in iRacing, and easy in AC and Rf2. I found the info on how to do it for iRacing and AC on the internet. For rFactor 2 I posted on their forums and someone posted the instructions on how to do it. You basically have to run windowed / windowed borderless mode and enter a custom resolution in the correct file within the game folder. Once you do that then you can access the correction in game.

Otter, I will try your instructions this evening. I think I already tried all that and never got the pop up you mentioned about "Yes it is working" so I could click yes. I think I just kept immediately getting the pop up that said the monitor would not display that resolution. I will try it again and follow your instructions. Thanks again for your help

10. Dracer

Dracer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Otter,

I tried your suggestions but I never get the option to "save" the custom setting. I even hooked up an older HDMI monitor to see if that made a difference vs using the display port but it did not help.

I contacted EVGA support and their only suggestion was to roll back the vid card drivers and keep going back one at a time until I found one that would allow the custom setting to save. Everything else and all the other sims/games are working OK so I am not wanting to go messing with rolling back the vid drivers.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help and if anyone finds a different way to get the custom resolution into the list that RaceRoom looks at please do share.

Thanks

11. 0ldfella

0ldfella Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    You were on the right path. I run 3 screens (one 34" Ultra Wide and 2 smaller side screens) and cannot run nVidia surround.

Setup the virtual resolution as suggested above, but when you reach the step to "confirm" (a pop-up that you cannot see), simply hit Left Arrow once and then hit Enter. This will change the default highlighted button and accept the changes.

Do not enable the custom resolution at this point (it will be in the "Custom" section, not the "PC" section of the Customize screen). Just apply the changes (bottom right) and then close nVidia control panel.

Now go into Raceroom -> Settings -> Video Settings: Set display mode to Borderless Window. Then select the new Aspect Ratio. In my case this is 48:10 And then the new Resolution (mine is 4288 x 1080 120Hz).
    If your screens are different (refresh rate), leave Vsync off.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy.

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry but isn't there a steam "set launch options" command to enable proper triple-screens? Whats this of having to create custom resolutions? I never had to do that when I ran triples.

13. 0ldfella

0ldfella Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Only required for those that can't (or don't want to) run nVidia Surround. nVidia surround doesn't work if your screens are different resolutions

The "launch options" will not work in this scenario (requires nVidia Surround to work), so the 'virtual' resolution is treated as one big screen. Screen angles and bezels are not accounted for so its a bit of a hack, but it works for me.

14. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Oh I see. I ran triples when I had AMD and their drivers support everything. No need to match resolutions or even hz.

15. Dracer

Dracer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oldfella, Thank you for your assistance, great community that people continue to try and help me with this.

I tried your suggestion as I had Otter's but I had no luck. I think I ran into the same situation as when trying Otter's advice. This driver I am using either does not respond or does not even get to the "confirm" selection pop up.

Maybe it is because of some combination of the Nvidia drivers and me still being on Windows 7 Pro. After the next Nvidia driver comes out I will try your suggestions again.

Thanks again!

16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but im trying to find a solution to running triples without surround for sims, ive tried all these steps but i only get ACC on the center and left screen , just normal desktop on the right screen ! Havent tried R3E yet , it takes so long to load , so trying other quick loaders first . Does anyone know a solution to this issue ?

Edit to add im trying to get all sims to run without surround !

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  17. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    I would probably try on the ACC forum.

18. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Well its not just ACC im wanting to play without surround , im trying for all sims !

19. FilthyJoker

FilthyJoker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For me the trick with the custom resolution worked perfectly.
    Set it to 5760x1080 in the nvidia control panel and then posted the triple screen settings into the start options of raceroom.

Working without surround now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I spent the day yesterday getting all Sims to run identically the same as if I have surrounded enabled while surrounded is most definitely not enabled.

It's actually quite simple.

On the left screen make a custom resolution the size of your screens (5760x1080 for me) and make that your main screen, start ACC, select triples, turn off full screen and enable triples. DONE!

All Sims work the same, only all the others want the center screen to be the main, so do the same thing but on the center screen, custom res, select center as main, run in Windowed mode.