Question Best VR settings??

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by skswat, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, R3E with AWS on is not that bad. I hardly notice any difference. So I do the same. High settings with AWS (ctrl & numpad 3) locked to 45 fps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. iridium43

iridium43 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just installed R3E and am trying to increase the performance on my Rift. A couple of questions:

1) What aspect ratio and resolution do you set in game?
    2) I read that you need to disable async reprojection in SteamVR, but I can't find that option anymore.. is this still needed?
    3) Anything else I missed?

3. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    1) so this is a odd one - you have to start the game NOT in VR - then set the resolution- then exit - then start in VR. This does not change the resolution of game in VR (you can’t alter that, short of super sampling) for whatever reason setting this as LOW as you can take is best for performance. Only your actual monitor will be affected by this (and the floating in game menus) - not the racing.

2) So the arguement of 45 or 90 FPS - I’ll just ask you - if you were playing on a monitor would you accept 45fps on a sim where you need to react and visualize things in tenths of a second? Maybe in the 1990’s, but now? Even your Xbox 360 did 60fps in forza 4. So why would this be acceptable if the monitor is strapped to your face? I find asw on a sim completely unacceptable, I’m literally battling for 10ths and 100ths of a second - there is simply not enough information happening at 45fps. My suggestion is simply start turning down track/shader detail. Turn LOD to low. Keep super sampling at a sane level. I’m on a 2080ti and have LOD set to medium, shadows on low and super sampling at 2.1 - when I was running a titan my super sampling was at 1.8. If your serious about sim racing - get 90fps by removing detail and ditch reprojection. The people your racing with will appreciate as well.

3) oculus home is doing a slew of stuff now and since this game is in open vr you may have to play tricks to get it running at a decent level. There are threads in the last week about this. But here are my suggestions for a 1080ti or titan based gpu (not know what type of gpu or cpu you have)

Reflections lowest
    Shadows on low
    SuperSampling 1.8
    AAx2
    Shaders medium
    Track detail medium
    16 cars visible
    LOD low
    Mirror reflections low

Bloom, motion blur, rays etc don’t work so settings do not matter.

If the above doesn’t do - reduce SS to
    1.6 then 1.5

4. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    What is better between supersampling 1.5 + AAx8 and supersampling 1.8 + AAx2?

5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    AAx8 for me ;)

6. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    AAx8 hands down. It works great in R3E and AC1

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, I find 8x just makes things too soft - even textures start to go soft. I use to run 4x and recently upped SS and dropped AA to 2X - I feel like I see more detail and certainly inner edges.

8. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Not in AC1! AA sucks in AC for me, fences shimmer badly. R3E is really clear of shimmer though ;)

9. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    not my experience at all. AAx8 in ac1 really cleans the image for me.

10. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Is the AAx8 still a good option in RR?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I sold my Rift and went back to 4k...but 8x is always a good option, as long as your PC can push it ;)

12. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Really? You always was such a fan of VR.. I still like VR much although I sometime also switch back to pancake mode. Dirt Rally 2 still does not has VR support so pancake mode for now. With Pcars and raceroom I really miss the immersion without VR. Perhaps a tripple screen setup can make me feel otherwise.

(I’m Olijke Poffer by the way but could not recover my account)

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I also went back to a 55" 4K tv. I was really losing all enjoyment of racing because I spent more time troubleshooting all the issues and random bugs/performance VR still has. Everyday was a new problem. One day when a official SteamVr update broke WMR and I couldn't play, that was the tipping point and I said screw it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    spyshagg that sounds just like me, although I was playing on a 55" 4k TV before I got VR, so this time round got a actual VA monitor 40" 4k and man is it light years better that my 4k TV!
    Response time, input lag, color accuracy and blacks are all just amazing And tgis isn't even that great an example of a gaming monitor!
    That and I was now able to acquire a dedicated man cave and get a proper racing rig with the monitor right up behind my wheel base so can run correct fov of 38 (0.6 R3E).
    Loving sim racing on a whole different level now. I was losing my will to drive in VR, as great as the up close visuals are and the immersion the constant battle to get highest quality visuals while maintaining a smooth gameplay became a never ending battle! Now it's just max everything and get on with it;)

Oh, i dont like Bull Sharks :p they almast ruin my days out in the water jetskiing all the time, they are everywhere here in Brisbane and so aggressive.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Glad I’m a kind Bull Shark.

• Like Like x 1
  16. davideliasirwin

davideliasirwin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know if R3E is going to implement Single Pass Stereo(I can't post the link)?

iRacing recently implemented it and the reviews have said it has made a nice performance boost.

17. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Iracing is DX11 while Raceroom is DX9.
    Don't know if it's possible to implement SPS in DX9, however my guess is that the VR performance in Raceroom cannot become much more efficient unfortunately. Moving to DX11 would improve the performance a lot.

18. mmmmbeer

mmmmbeer Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Old thread but relevant to me for this post in particular. If you are still posting and see this do you mind postung you full settings for your 2080ti and also you machine specs.

I have no problems reaching 90fps with my own 2080ti but only when I'm doing laps by myself. try a race and its 45fps at most. I tried many things you said in this thread including the lowest resolution possible but its still the same. Probably my 4 core 6700k not up to the job.

Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1