Telemetry SecondMonitor (Timing & status App)

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Winzarten, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Np :)
    This is just a regular desktop application. In the directory you install it too, there is an executable "SecondMonitor.exe" (and also there should be an icon created in the start menu). You run it and it opens a normal window with the application, that you can drag onto the other monitor .

You let it run, and you run the sim. The app is constantly checking if any of the supported sims is running, and if it is, it tries to connect to it.

The app doesn't car if the sim runs in windows or fullscreen mode. Windowed mode is more practical for interacting with the app ;)

I hope that answers it :) And if not, shoot another question ;)

2. Tyger

Tyger Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    er...................... drag the window?

3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yeah got it sorted, I was overthinking it!

4. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    2.8.4 released
    • Steering Wheel Angle: In addition to pedal position, the application now also show current steering wheel angle. As most sims do not provide the angle, but only a -1 to 1 steering range, it is necessary to set the correct steering range in car options for the icon to correlate with you IRL wheel. The default angle for each car is 540 degrees. Sadly, this feature doesn't work in r3e, because R3E do not provide any steering information in its telemetry data.
    • Session Remaining: The app will now try to properly estimate remaining player laps in timed session, and remaining time in sessions wtih given total laps.
    • R3E: Updated car reference file to include the newly released GT4 cars.
    • Fix: Fixed an issue when the delta times bar would not display delta time to best lap.

5. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Just started using this app and what a great bit of kit, got it on the 4th monitor and it's great for sectors and lap times which is missing in RRE, I only glance at it now and again but fully study it post qualy and race, great to be able to see tyres and fuel etc, also the pedal inputs have been invaluable as I occasionally get spikes on the brake and can see them straight away, great job!

One issue I did have was the first time I ran it it kept shutting down and I couldn't keep it running, found running it as admin in Windows 10 sorted it, just in case anyone else has the issue.

6. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Same for me with the crashes and also found out that running it as admins solves them - I have it installed in Program Files and you need Admin privileges to write there.
    @Winzarten There is something wrong with path to Documents, as there is %MyDocuments% folder created in SecondMonitor installation location.

It also crashes for me on the Nordschleife with track map recording enabled - I assume it's just too big :p But don't know why it also affects Grand Prix venues of Nürburgring. Plus track line is invisible for me, I only see car indicators following it.

Moreover - it crashes after some time (usually few minutes) in rFactor 2, but still I didn't figure out what exactly could be causing this

7. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Yep, there is definitely something wrong, as the app shouldn't try to anything in Program Files, but create a directory in My Documents. Obviously, somewhere I'm missing the translation between "%MyDocuments%" and the real My Documents Path. Will try to fix it ASAP... As this is most likely causing the other problems as well (the invisible track line i.e.).

The rFactor2 crashing is weird, because I just completed 2hours session there :neutral: Lets see what will happen after the "My Documents" fix.

Thanks for the reports.

8. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I've fixed the "MyDocuments" issue.
    If you're still experiencing crashes (i.e. on the Nurburgring, or rFfactor2), please attack the latest log file, it should contain the crash details. The log file is located c:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\SecondMonitor\

It will help me a lot, because I'm not experiencing those crashes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Maybe gonna dig into this today. Could be some wierd interaction with specific mod or some plugin

• Like Like x 1
  10. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the effort :)
    I also plan to play rFactor2 more, so hopefully I will experience some of the bugs firsthand. One question, do you play SP or MP? I play only sp in rFactor2, so if you play MP it might be possible that the bug is only present there.

11. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Only MP, gonna also look into SP

12. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Cool, this helps me a lot. :) I will hop on to some MP servers to see if it crashes also for me. I'm expecting that yes.

13. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    2.8.6 is live
    • RFactor 2: Fix - Delta bars should now work 100% of the time. :)
    • Possible fix for the invisible track map.
    • Added Open Log Directory button into the settings window for quick access to application log files.
    • Improved loggin in the "map" area.
    • Removed the ability to change the export directory. This directory is now also used by track maps and other settings, co changing it makes no practical sense, as it would mean loosing all those settings.
    @rad Pleasse let me know if it fixed the "invisible line" issue. There is now also a "open log directory" in the settings window, which can be used to quickly access the logs. These logs will help to see what is going on. :)
    I'm still investigating the rfactor 2 crashing.

14. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I've found one thing that might be causing MP crases in RFactor2, I've pushed the update, let see if it works.

15. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    For some reason this keeps shutting down randomly, I have no idea why, I am running it as admin on a 4th screen?

16. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Could you please provide the logs? In the settings window there is a button that will open the log directory. Thanks :)

17. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    As soon as I get to my racing rig I will yes, thankyou.

18. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I've pushed a new version which should be much better at catching causes of application crash. So if anybode gets a crash with the new version, please send me the log :)

19. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    try {
    something();
    }
    catch(...) {
    crash();
    }

20. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Already had that, now I moved to the heavy weapons :D
    AppDomain.CurrentDomain.UnhandledException += CurrentDomainOnUnhandledException;