New Fanatec F1 wheels - 1/2 of the functions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ndwthx1138, Dec 22, 2018.

1. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    The new fanatec wheels started arriving today. I would have thought with the Mclaren wheel being out for 9 months or more / that the encoders would be working by now?

Regardless not only do the rotary encoders not work in raceroom, one of the two thumb rotary encoders (what you’d generally map traction control, brake bias or ABS to) are not seen by Raceroom, the up switch doesn’t work on one side and the down switch on the other.

Literally of the 50 functions 31 don’t work in raceroom? Any chance this is even a consideration?

They also made the encoders function in different ways now (not always a constant on if you prefer, or a pulse or a single press).

Nice unit - but truly unusable in Raceroom.

4A9C7E8D-0D61-4ED2-8905-EC51520DFDC4.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    What wheel is that..i thought they weren't released yet.. it's the f1 se ? I see u have stickers on the buttons that confused me...i guess the release is January in the States.

Yes raceroom can you add functionality to this as I have this one on order and also have the McLaren rim...
    New toys are coming to the market at a fast pace I'm sure it's hard to keep up.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  3. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    It is the F1 SE, it came out early! I am in Los Angeles which happens to be fairly close to where they mail them out from..

Looks like raceroom limits itself to 32 buttons per controller.. Man I hope that can support these new wheels..

4. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I can't wait to get mine. I'm up in Canada and my order says pending.:( is it as nice in person ? Does the software allow you to use the secondary lights similar to sim Dash?

5. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    The wheel feels better than the carbon black - over all quality is very good. Even the paddles are not as bad as their usual (I generally hate them and swap out for magnets). It looks better than I thought it would too. I wish the rotary encoders were made of aluminum or something other than plastic - the 2 side rotary wheels are nice but wish their movement was more precise.

In ACC it’s pretty damn great.

It’s too bad - in raceroom it’s basically a complete waste though. All the things that are great about it - don’t function. Seriously.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Same problem here. In ACC i can use the 2 12-position-switches for ABS and TC. In RRR i have no possibility to configure them...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Yep totally agree that Raceroom is very slow on updating for new wheels, the Mclaren has been out along time now so wouldn't hold your breath for the F1 SE..:(

8. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Problem is for the f1 wheel it’s more than the front encoders - there are a total of 31 functions not seen by Raceroom.

I think Raceroom is limiting itself to Windows XP joystick values - which is 32 buttons.

I think I’d literally say fanatecs 3 new wheels and the podiums to come are simply not compatible. I hope they will want to address this.

9. Pit54

Pit54 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Please check the driver, the latest one is 324
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

10. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    New wheel does not function without the latest driver - you have to do a firmware update as well. In the fanatec properties all functions are working, in ACC all functions are working... Not a issue with the wheel.

11. Virtual Apex

Virtual Apex Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Its very frustrating to have spent $650+ on two rims and not even have them supported in this game, not to mention $1500+ on a wheel base that I now fear will be just as useless as most of the functions on these rims. I could understand if this were a completely new product coming to market, one that has never been done before, but these functions have been in stand alone wheel button boxes for direct drive wheels for some time now, and out on the Mclaren since April. Since I found RR in 2015 I have purchased all content in RR, not because I just wanted every car, but because I loved what I saw in RR and what they were trying to do and wanted to support it with my purchases. Did we really need another Porsche when simple button functions, functions that other titles have, are this lacking.

This may sound like an angry rant, but truly its not, I still like RR as a game and due to ESR will most likely continue with it until I find a good group to race with in ACC, I really like/loved RR and would recommending it to anyone using a Logitech or Thrustmaster set of peripherals, but not Fanatec. I have to take RR down a notch from being a sim in my view to a game, sims use a compilation of software and hardware to create an immersive realistic experience and there is to much focus on bring new versions of Porsche than nailing the experience.

Love you RR just can't invest more money at this point until the basic's are addressed..

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    You should see the Fanatec Rim as early access. The corresponding firmware has beta status and so i wouldn't blame S3E for the lack of immediately support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    The Mclaren rim is the one that doesn’t work. It’s been 9 months or more no? Early access?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    That would explain why the upper positions of the two rocker switches are not recognized any more after the latest driver update. Down is mapped as button 30 and 31, up is 32 and 33. It's working in other sims but not in R3E.

15. Viggdred

Viggdred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    By the way, I can't assign command on the left Funky Switch, on ACC, with a Formula Wheel.......

16. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Yep, you gotta use joy2key or it’s pretty useless in Raceroom.

17. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Posted this in a fanatec group back in Decemember - since this is still active with people (I guess more now the the red V2 f1 wheel is out and basically the same issues with buttons and race room - I am copying and pasting this here)
    ----------------------------

So I had posted a mini review back on the 12/22. I've now used this wheel for awhile in Iracing, Rfactor2, RaceRoom, ACC and even AC.

In order to really use this wheel to it's fullest I had to download and use joy2key and use the new (and great) ENC feature from the new fanatec firmware. Using that allows me to use it in all the sims I play. Things like iracing and ACC just inherently work and require nothing but simply mapping the functions to the wheel. AC and Raceroom do require a little more to get it working. I really hope they bring the ENC function to the Mclaren wheel as well (they currently have not). Without that some sims may be left high and dry (raceroom for example).

It's the only wheel I have ever used that actually has enough functions that I don't need a button box. I still find myself using the button box for some features, but in general this wheel with it's literal 67 functions/inputs are massive.

Now I play in VR so it does take a little getting use to with that many functions you can’t see. It's also a smaller wheel (it feels correct to a real life LMP P1/2 and open wheel race cars. Those with big hands may have issues (I wear a large glove and feel it’s fine).

Once I swapped out the paddles (literally flipped them around so they are high rather than low) I found there placement "good". I am a big fan of ascher paddles but in this case I am going to wait until the Fanatec Podium Paddles arrive and give them a try. I will say I have never been a fan of Fanatec's paddle system, but these have the least amount of slop of any of their wheels I have used - which I think is literally all of them now (I own 5 and have used 7).

I wish the thumb encoders (found above the rocker switches) were more deliberate, or harder to spin, or clicked in place more solidly. They feel a little weak/light compared to the rest of the wheel's inputs - It's honestly a small complaint but I have it labeled as traction control and brake bias - I have on occasion moved it 2+ times rather than the intended one.

Rocker switches are great and feel nice. The rotary encoders have a very deliberate rotation snap and feel nice, I wish they were made of something other than plastic but it's trivial to be honest. Button layout is what I am use to coming from the Formula Carbon wheel (pictured as well). Literally the only thing I like better on my formula carbon are the paddles (which are ascher carbon fiber magnet paddles). The new F1LE wheel is superior in every other way - Technically I believe it weighs a little more than the Formula Carbon but that is a easy trade off with almost triple the functions.

So unlike the Mclaren wheel which had places to put labels, this wheel is hard to label and with so many functions I felt that was quite the over-site. On top of which the button caps which are nicely made are very poorly labeled. I Literally found one cap useful (headlights) - Thus me updating my labels and having to create something.

If formula 1, lmp, P1/2 GT3 or any series where the steering/rotation degrees stay below 270-360 degrees this is a great wheel. Since this wheel isn't going to be for sale again, the Clubsport V2 Formula wheel will have to do (although it does weigh ~10% more).

Below you will see I did get even raceroom working with the rotary dials set to ENC and joy2key
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZHPV82d8p8

You can see the wheel in comparison to the older formula black
    Fanatec_F1LE_small_v01.jpg Formula_caps_v01.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. Virtual Apex

Virtual Apex Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    It's hard to make informed decisions when there is no communication. We need to know if the gear we purchase will work with our choices of games, just a simple it's in our plans to support or no when considering what one could potentially pay to immersively SIM Race.

19. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I've got the same rim and love it... I'm going to wait till fanatec/raceroom sort this out. We also need led support for this rim as well as encoder support. Why this wouldn't have been out the boxes confuses me.
    Fanaleds has been contacted about the leds but they've been quite busy there to address it.
    The only issue I have with the le is that it misses the upshift every once in awhile . I'll be getting the podium shifter upgrade once it comes out.

Maybe with racerooms back end update it will solve some of these issues.

20. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Guys - with joy2key all the buttons function on the f1 rims - including the rotary encoders as fanatec was smart and gave us multiple ways to make the rotary buttons function.

The leds I can’t speak to.