Raceroom to move to Unreal Engine 4 in the future.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bakayoyo, Feb 18, 2017.

1. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    You better be careful what you say as we dont know if all of this stuff will actually make it into the game yet. :D

Beyond that, the game will never look anything like the video that @fl0wf1r3 posted because the game would need to be developed from the ground up with every asset being created specifically for UE4. And just porting over assets that already exist is never going to get the same result. Car model poly count, textures, etc. all need to be created specifically for UE4 to get it to look as good as it could. Whether this happens is yet to be seen.

I seem to recall the devs in some interview mentioning that working with UE4 was somewhat simple because you can plug in whatever physics engine you want with the UE4 graphics engine. So, Im not convinced they would use a whole new physics engine.

Frankly, that doesnt make sense to me. You dont use the ISI motor source code dating back to ~2005 having developed your physics on it for the past 10 yrs only to scrap it entirely and start all over. Im sure they will implement the ISI engine physics in combination with the UE4 graphics engine.

2. jiaoshouxu

jiaoshouxu Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Is it free or not? Is it going to be a standalone game?

3. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    But if you can copy, use or have access to a modern up to date version that is better performing than the 10yr to get here now version, why wouldnt you scrap it and start over? Newer isnt always better, but if newer is better then just drop what you got and get on with the new, thatis if newer is better :D

Its like GTR3, its not by all accounts going to be a 100% new game but the best bits of RR added or improved to match a modern engine, or thats how i read\interpreted what i read, 30 odd tracks already created, a fair few GT3 cars already available, just a little tweak here n there and we have a new game :)
    I for one cant wait for a dedicated race game to be limited to one type or class rather than the mix n match we have across the board right now, take out F1 from codies what other single make is there?

Too many games being jack of all trades master of none, i want a game to aim to be the master of its class, this alone will create the sales that a master of none tries to force with the constant DLC and variation of a theme.
    Give me a gt even a touring car game that masters its craft and does it better than any that have gone before and i`ll give you sales to match.
    Bold statement i know, but online (my only real reference point) racing is so fragmented, broken down into little pockets of this n that and maybe a little of that also, get it right, give the right class the right kind of treatment and people will buy it, no two ways about it.
    Get one class, do it right and do it well, make it a whole not a splintered 3\4 attempt at something that is almost but not quite, give me a season, a whole race weekend, do it all well from start to finish, get the minor details that RR for the sake of argument thought insignificant at inception, i want the whole nine yards, done and dusted, do that, get it right and you have a game, a very good game, something that may be considered a gamechanger in the current market, altho getting it right seemed to be done to death 10-15 yrs ago, WTF just do what they did then with modern graphics, we may have a game!!!!

Edit- Some nice magners cider dosnt half make you chat shit :0

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  4. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Unlwess they change the name of the game to "R3E2", I'd have to guess at it'll be a free "update"?

@nate
    From the interview on RD from @Chris Speed
    Source
    7th question down.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  5. tothrauldaniel

tothrauldaniel Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I see only benefits from this, as long as I have an option to turn off any type of blur that takes away from image clarity. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Thats right - If we take what exist in R3E it wouldn't look like that. Especially the High-Res-textures used in that video made a huge difference. But what we don't know is, what is left in the background. Textures and 3d-models are optimized for the game to get better performance and reduced memory-usage. So If the base-model is still existent, they could start from there...

AFAIK they mentioned for GTR3 that there will be support from Sector3 for the physics. In addition it was mentioned a while back, that the physics-engine is based on ISI but highly modified now. I wouldn't wonder if they create an engine based on UE4 combined with there own development and knowledge from the last decade... But I'd say there are to many options that we can't consider from the outside.

7. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    well i think its gonna be a while before we see this gtr3 first

8. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Better put the Magners back in the fridge then. :)

9. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    The only thing I'm afraid of is, that it won't feel like R3E anymore (handling, FFB). Or is it possible to exactly reproduce the current outcome in a new physics engine?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Possible? Yes.
    Unlikely? Probably.

I bet they get damned close though.
    After the third patch;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Looking at kartkraft shows quite nicely what to expect in terms of lighting quality.

Even if rendering is something that most people associate with unreal engine, the primary reason to use an engine like that is content workflow/tools. There is a lot of artists and developers familiar with the tools and capabilities (animation, etc.).

That makes it easier to hire folks at all or even on demand. Cause if you just were interested in the rendering bits and perf, a specialized custom solution still makes a lot of sense. However with UE they get a lot of other things well integrated.

Personally I'd have hoped they gave their own engine a small kicker going to dx11 without changing shaders etc., just to benefit of some features that make it more efficient on the CPU side. But maybe wasted effort, who knows.

When it comes to upgrading old tracks, you can do a lot procedurally (vegetation...). Am sure there is some content packs with better than basic trees...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alx^

Alx^ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that's crossed my mind too. I think I'm hoping deep down they might announce the new physics to be whatever magic is hiding behind rf2, with a ue4 sugar coating for weather and visuals. Dunno though. Someone has to be the adventurous one when it comes to exploring new territory like this. Fingers crossed they get it right :)

13. DaleJSmith

DaleJSmith Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I am a digital modeler and animator by trade, so updating the engine sounds very cool to me. But the main reason I chose R3e initially was how simple it was to install and get running. But after that, it is the amazing racing. Because the cars are very drivable, the racing is made great. Yes, you can get the cars close to edge for that extra bit of speed, but the cars rarely just get out of hand. I remember how hard it was to do close racing in GPL, the online bandwidth just didn't allow us to get even close to rubbing tires. but with R3E, I have had nothing but great racing so far. I hope they don't lose that.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Daniel Costa

Daniel Costa New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    RaceRoom is the best racing game i have played so far. The only thing it misses in my opinion is the non existence of dynamic wheather and time of day. Maybe Super GT500 and Interlagos too.

Hope they keep the phisycs in UE4

• Like Like x 1
  15. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I hope Sector3 gets again a license for the upcoming DTM season 2019 or how ever the name will be. They should get it for free Mr. Berger, its called promotion :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tex-Rec

Tex-Rec Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    When i compare now ACC @ Maxed settings and 4K to current engine of Race Room at maxed out settings and 4K , im so in love with the current engine of Race Room , cristal clean , and evenrything is there that should be there.

ACC simply just looks blury and the antialiasing system on the UE4 engine is not for racing definatelly..

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  17. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I gotta agree here, especially as a VR player, even with various known tweaks to ACC to make it look better, its just too busy or something, almost hurts my eyes to play. Raceroom just looks good and solid, performs well, it just works and i can concentrate on driving.

I hope the UE4 update maintains this aesthetic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Tex-Rec

Tex-Rec Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Definatelly , i would more preffer that Sector 3 focus a little bit on the current one , for example the flickering shadows under the cars is the only thing i woulod work on the graphic "in game" , maybe a better hud skin , this current one gets outdated , something modern looking is welcome instead to move to UE4 Engine where im sure it will look the same like ACC at the end , and i gues everyone that tryed ACC so far but racing in race room , can only talk bad about it as it first does not look good , and preforms really bad . .

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I think there should be an upgrade to the graphics engine. I’m absolutely fine with the graphics, but a little more eye candy, dynamic day/night cycles and weather wouldn’t hurt though.

My point for an upgrade is, because I think supporting DX12 becomes more and more important. A lot of technical aids for triple screens or VR are only supported by the newest DX versions. Just think of SMP (Simultaneous Multi-Projection) and what it could save us on GPU usage. I think this and other methods keep getting more important and not only as mentioned for triple or VR users... a lot of simracer are using 144Hz, 1440p or Ultrawide monitors and therefor the newest DX mechanics are very helpful, if you not want to go for a RTX Titan...

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    ...and being forced to sell your car for it :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1