December update blows my mind and my pc !!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skidmark, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I am hoping someone can give me some advice...

With the latest Dec 18 update I've been running 50 car field with four classes and in 4 races out of the last 5 the whole thing just crashes - frozen screen - then BSOD - WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR.

I have run a three-hour MemTest86 and found no problems with memory.

I have updated to latest GPU drivers (mine were 9 months old and the new drivers are 10 days old). Same problem before and after driver update though so probably not the drivers.

This morning I monitored CPU temperatures and it was running warm prior to race start but when the lights went out temperatures jumped and after about 30 seconds... frozen screen - then BSOD - WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR.

Damn.

Only good thing about the frozen screen was that I could see CPU core temperatures at the moment it crashed:

Core 1: 84 deg Max 99
    Core 2: 92 deg Max 99
    Core 3: 88 deg Max 96
    Core 4: 87 deg Max 87

Question 1 - I guess this is too hot huh? And the likely cause of the BSOD? (Temps as I write this now after re-booting are about 31 deg in each core - positively pleasant).

Question 2 - how to fix?

Thoughts appreciated.

Key specs (my PC is 4 years old this month so I was thinking it'd have another year in it):
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
    System Model: Z97X-Gaming 7
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
    Display Memory: 12167 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 4052 MB
    Shared Memory: 8114 MB
    Overclocking: NO

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That's definitely hot for a CPU. How is your CPU cooled? You should definitely check for dust first and give the insides of your PC a good cleaning.

3. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    try running less cars , say 35 does it bsod?
    is there a dead kitten or mouse blocking your cooling ?

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Christian and Andi for the (very) prompt replies !!
    I will do a clean up today!
    I am hoping not to find a dead kitten. OMG that would really ruin my day.

5. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Well... three hours later I have cleaned out all the mice, kittens, spider webs and raspberry jam from my pc (actually I'm kidding - it was amazingly clean and dust free) but things have not improved.

Running a Norton system scan (which seemed like a good idea) is enough to push temps into the 90s and - you guessed it - BSOD.

So I have - as they say - "issues". All the fans are running, it's clean and well ventilated... so WTF?

And I'm feeling sorry for myself :( - it's the first day of my holidays and instead of playing with my shiny new AI selector I'm just swearing a lot.:mad:.

I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats... so I'll keep you posted.

6. Jens

Jens New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    remove the heatsink, clean the top of the CPU, add new Thermal Compounds.
    something most be wrong there.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. John Wiesenmüller

John Wiesenmüller Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    But please only a little (like a small pea) amount of thermal compount in the middle of the CPU heat spreader. The heat sink will distribute it when you put it on again, don‘t spread it on the CPU by yourself.

Edit: The quantity of thermal compount singnificantly reduced. :D

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  8. John Wiesenmüller

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My first step would be to set the BIOS to default values. Maybe you have some weird settings there.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. RavingLunatic01

RavingLunatic01 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Geez John I thought the pies were on the small side over here. I think auto correct got in the way. Its pea size or half that will probably do the job. I had a reasonably clean PC in the other day and it was only when I took the fan and the heatsink off did I become aware of just how much was trapped in the fins causing issues.

PS - When you get it back up and running open the resource monitor and see how much Norton uses because Raceroom probably uses less. I kicked it off years ago for that reason so unless things have changed be prepared for a surprise.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. John Wiesenmüller

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Damned, I had to much cake. :D Writing on an iPad is a pain.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have some stuff to do today but once that's done I think my first step will be to pull everything out - CPU, GPU etc - and put it back together which may dislodge or at least reveal any physical causes of heat build up.

If that doesn't work I might give renewing the thermal paste a try. I've looked at some videos on how to do this, but I should say there is a very good reason why I never became a surgeon and I do fear what I might do to my system...

On the other hand my PC is four years old which is getting on in human terms - I had been starting to think about the next gen anyway...

12. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    So... removed heat sink, cleaned off old thermal paste and applied a pea-sized glob of new thermal paste (Noctua NT-H1). Put it all back together and...

Repeated the two things that caused overheating before:
    (1) Ran Norton full system scan - temps into the 90s within about 30 seconds so I shut it down.
    (2) Silverstone / GT1,2,3 &4 multiclass / 52 cars (pushing it, I know) - temps above 80 and often in the 90s for the whole 20-min race. Finished race without BSOD. (If I hadn't become slightly obsessed with monitoring temps in the last few days I would have thought everything is fine - frame rates good, no choppiness, no BSOD.)

Progress?

Don't really feel I've solved anything though. She's still running hot.

13. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    What's your ambient temp?

I envy guys in the cooler zones. Averaging 30+ degC over here during the daytime, I always run in the mid 70's already when gaming w/ my 8700 at stock speed, despite using a Noctua D14S cooler, and can't OC w/o risking higher temps.

14. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    'twas the night before Christmas
    and here at my place
    there's not much to do so I thought I would race
    just out the window a Grinch I did see
    grinning with malice as he spied my pc
    I'd opened it up and out on the floor
    were dozens of pieces - hundreds or more
    I'd opened it carefully without too much haste
    and added a pea sized quality paste
    I booted it up and started Crew Chief
    - to be back in the car was quite a relief!
    the Grinch he saw I was racing quite well
    I am going to beat you at last you green hell
    but alas and alack I finished it not
    with temperatures rising my cores were too hot
    and now they are averaging 90 degrees
    it's only a matter of time... 'til screen freeze
    and driving so well I was holding my breath
    and then once again the blue screen of death.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  15. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I made a quick test on my PC with the same CPU @4.4Ghz, air cooled. Temperatures with 60 cars on Road America ~55°C. Room temperature is ~25°C.

16. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Wasn't thinking of your problem.:eek:

17. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I’m not trying to be a smart arse but I assume you have checked the cpu fan is turning.....and going at full speed when under load?

Years ago I had some motherboard software fan profile thingy that was preventing my cpu fan from going full speed.

18. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Case temperature is serious. A hole in the front bottom and two 120 fans at the back and my case stays nearly at room temperature.

19. RavingLunatic01

RavingLunatic01 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    As MattStone has pointed out you need to check the CPU fan is working correctly and check any front fans etc. Fire it up with the side cover off so you can see if all is well. CPU's heat up pretty quick so the fact you are getting laps in helps to zone in on the issue. BSOD is better than a bang so the shut down is working at least.

20. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Go into the bios and manually set all fans at 100% just to be sure they are responding to the thermals.