December update blows my mind and my pc !!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skidmark, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    25 degrees C

I hate you. ;)

I'm not offended. I know this sounds totally crazy. All the fans are running and they scroll up as the temperatures rise. I'll check the settings though - haven't done that yet - never had to before.

Yep - have done that - all fans running.

That's next - thanks for the suggestion.

UPDATE - set all fans to 100% in the bios - can hear them whining. Ran a Norton Full System scan (perhaps surprisingly a very reliable heat trigger) and within about 30 seconds 3 of the 4 cores maxed out at 100C and one was much cooler, maxing at only 95C. Something is horribly wrong.

Upside is I've knocked 5C off the idle temps.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  2. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Check the airflow direction of fans?
    Essentially running out of options as you already replaced thermal paste.
    How is it with case opened.

3. EsxPaul

EsxPaul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if the CPU cooler isn't making good enough contact with the heat speader. I know it's a pain, seeing as you've already replaced the thermal paste but it might be worth removing the cooler once more and checking to see how evenly that new paste had spread.

What type of cpu cooler is it? If it's an aftermarket one with a motherboard mounted backplate, check that its secure and allowing the cooler to make nice, squared up contact with the CPU as you tighten it down.

Another thing you could do is go into the bios and check the voltages being delivered to the cpu. I once had an issue with slight cpu overvolting even at stock settings after I did a bios update which messed with the settings.

Good luck and I hope you can get it fixed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    What is task manager showing for cpu usage at full load, anything that shouldnt be taking cycles, ive had this with erronous drivers also using fan monitoring\control software (yes really, speedfan) causing unusually high load and heat on the cpu. Leading to another something to try, drivers, uninstall all your mobo and hardware drivers and reinstall, mobo\chipset first, gpu and so on, Windows up to date?

Maybe a clue here?
    Its called Norton :)

Is norton installed or did you run an online scan, if installed try disabling it and see how it goes.

5. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I had this weird issue with my Athlon on AM2 couple of years ago. It was showing very high temperatures and computer was shuting down after short time, even though radiator was cool when touched. First thing I tried was replacing thermal paste as it was already pretty old back then, but with no success. Interestingly enough, while I was messing around I noticed that when cooling was loosely mounted, everything was back to normal.

I assume it could be some sort of sensor malfunction that was triggered while pressured, because this is only thing that seems to make sense :p Or maybe something was wrong with cooling mount like deformation.

Maybe check if you can feel the heat coming out of CPU. If it's running at 100°C I'm pretty sure you should feel it without even touching anything :p

6. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Same 4790k here at 4.4Ghz and top temp is 60c under full load maybe 65 running a single rad coolermaster AIO, I reckon you have a problem with the HSF, try and pick up a hyper evo 212 which are cheap to buy and a decent cooler and see if the temps improve.

7. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Yep it's hot air coming out. :cool:

Tried that following you suggestion - nope :( - good thought though.

Yeah - mucked around with that using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. I dropped the voltage a little each time. Made no difference each time until CPU stopped working. :(

Boxing day sales... I am looking now.

I am about ready to chuck the whole thing in the pool. If I had one.

8. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    @Skidmark what cooler/fan are you using with your CPU?

I had very similar experience recently when pump of my AIO cooler failed.

9. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    It has the original stock cooler which, as far as I know, has been doing the job adequately for four years.

I'm picking up a Cooler Master TX3 EVO CPU cooler today. So we'll see how that goes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Norton is a computer KILLER! The worst software ever made, ever!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    In addition, get rid of Norton and problem fixed. Get rid of all Norton components. After that run defragmenting, disk cleanup and restart the computer.

12. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I did find that during a full system scan the CPU overheated, although my efforts to cool things down seem to have eliminated that. Norton full system scan is no longer overheating CPU.

Looking at Task Manager, Norton is using 0-0.4% of CPU.

I just ran a test where I booted up Raceroom right through to lights out in a race. Peak CPU use for Raceroom was 38% compared to 0.3% for Norton throughout starting Raceroom, loading menus, loading track and starting race.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  13. RavingLunatic01

RavingLunatic01 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You are jinxed Skidmark. I have been a bit busy solving a CPU temp fluctuation on a repaired custom build that is going up and down like a yo yo. A few of us here are a little dark on Norton but it is not like it was installed and suddenly the issue appeared. If the heat sink is clear and the fans/cooling side seems to be functioning correctly, no overclocking etc. Have you tried to run the Intel Processor diagnostic tool?.

14. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Well more than a week later and my new heatsink was ready to collect (despite being listed as 'in stock'... grrr:mad:).

It was a b*stard to install. I almost got blood on the motherboard from the sharp edges, which would be avoidable but for the fact that two of the clips that you have to push down on VERY hard to lock it in place are under the fan so it's very hard to get at them... anyway I digress. After 90 minutes of blood (literally), sweat (literally) and tears (well not quite, its only a PC) I had it installed.

Fired it up. All fans working. Closed up the case.

Raceroom. New Porsche. Silverstone. Two laps. Temps look good (60s).

Came off the track as I was looking at the temps.

Restart race. Turn 1. Temps through the roof (all 4 cores in the 90s).

BSOD. :(

I am out of luck, patience and holidays...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  15. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Yeah - just tried that - at was all too much for my system and - you guessed it - BSOD.

Thanks for thought. :)

EDIT: Managed to get it to run on second attempt. Passed.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  16. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling all your drivers?
    Another suggestion, bit of a ballache, but may help cut cost and save you some time, download something like trueimage, there is a free version for most hard drives out there, back up your system and go for a fresh win install, basic install, updated then run your games and see, if it still fails at least you have the back up to restore and lost nothing but an hour or 2, then your probs looking at hardware, mobo ram cpu failure!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    You did put Thermal paste between the heatsink and the CPU I suppose?

18. RavingLunatic01

RavingLunatic01 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Is this your current driver - 417.35?

Just curious if you have MSI Afterburner installed?

If so can you try run Race Room with the OSD and see what the GPU power usage is before it BSOD's?.

Got issue here with 2 PC's now with that driver and other than temps all over the place the power usage from the GPU is 40-55% Race Room and 70-75 Project Cars. Considering the Ryzen has no on-board graphics at all it should be 98-99% in both games.

19. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Open HWinfo64 with the sensors option checked, open CPU-Z and run the benchmark. Check on hwinfo64 sensors window what was the max vcore.

• Like Like x 1