Problem Frozen display (but game still running)

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by haik, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I had my first frozen display today, the game kept on running.
    No way to exit the screen or stop the game.
    At last I turned the wheel off, or at least I tried: it did not shut down and one Led segment around the start button stayed on.
    But the screen came alive again and I managed to stop the game in a normal way.
    After unplugging and replugging the power cord of the V2 base, I could start the wheel again, it calibrated normal and I could restart RaceRoom without further issues...

2. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    After you have the issue have you checked Windows Event Viewer for clues?
    Bailey

PS I had a lengthy struggle with rF1 doing this (no other sims did), the screen would freeze I could here the car running and ultimately crashing. Went thru an insane amount of troubleshooting from USB drivers, GPU drivers, USB disconnects to voltage drops, grounding etc.

3. Montana.BE

Montana.BE Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Well, I thought the same of another sim, and it turned out I was wrong and the only thing that led to that conclusion was the fact that only some specific games make your GPU work really hard, and only some provoke errors.

Cutting a long story short, the problem on my GPU (a Nvidia card) is that the standard software overclocks the frequency which is causing more crashes in high demand games. And, apparently the cooler of the GPU itself was either not or either badly functioning.

Then, the card protects itself by shutting down all functions, and Windows doesn't know how to handle that problem.

My advice : get MSI Afterburner

4. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I did now (had to look it up - longtime Mac user and no clue about PC's).
    Don't know what to look for either. I saw 9 errors and 1 warning in the past 24hrs... ?

5. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    I am running MSI Afterburner, and I use HWiNFO64 to keep an eye on -amongst other things- GPU load, clock speeds, temp etc in real-time. Games like PCars and AC put more stress on my card than R3E, yet I never have these issues with those games. Besides, 95% of my system freezes in R3E happen when I'm in one or other game menu, not on track, so GPU load at those moments is a lot less, I see no reason why the card would be shutting down to protect itself just then, and not while I'm racing with 20+ other cars on a high-detail race track ? And as I stated earlier, the hottest my GPU ever runs in R3E is around 56° C, which is not even close to critical temperature for a GTX 970, so I'd be very suprised if overheating would be the issue here. I'm not saying this problem isn't GPU related, but I suspect there's something else than a GPU overload going on here...

@Bailey Lagstrum : I'll check Event Viewer again tomorrow, but from what I remember from previous times I checked it, it mainly shows critical errors that are related to "the system suddenly losing power or not being shut down correctly". I assume those errors are the result of me having to "hard" re-boot the system (as there is no power loss at all) ? So far I haven't found any errors related to R3E, then again I'm not that experienced when it comes to interpreting Windows Event Viewer...

6. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Well it is very common to find errors, what you want to look for is any error that might be related to the graphics driver crashing or a USB issue, that kind of thing. Some hint, some morsel of a clue that might get you headed in the right direction.
    There are always errors listed, some which we will just call "normal" simply because they happen and don't necessarily need/require action to fix. The Event ID should give you something to go by and IF you're lucky, a clue!
    Hope it helps.
    B

• Like Like x 2
  7. SniperFire69

SniperFire69 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What wheels are people using that are having the freeze issue in races? my mates is a fanatec V2. I don't believe it is heat issues as he can practice just fine but in race it freezes after 10 seconds.

EDIT, actually his froze even with no controllers plugged in just a keyboard so Its not a controller issue either

8. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    I've checked Event Viewer and 3 out of 5 errors that occured at the exact same time as the crash dump time stamps are related to dwm.exe, so Windows Desktop Manager. The other 2 read: "Event ID 10016 - The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID".

No errors regarding graphics drivers or any other driver or hardware error...think I'm gonna submit a ticket to Helpdesk 'cos I have little hope of getting dev support via this thread...

9. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    According to Hannes my game's crashing when trying to save replays of the sessions I'm leaving, so he advised me to add "-disableReplay" (without quotation marks) to the launch options in Steam. I'll give that a go and see what gives.

No idea if this is also the cause of the rest of y'all's problems, but I thought I'd post it here anyway.

To be continued...

10. Whitesmoke

Whitesmoke New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am having this same issue in race and practice sessions. The screen randomly freezes however it it is still running in the background. I can only exit via task manager.

Core I7 3820
    8 gig ram
    Windows 10 64 bit
    AMD 6900

11. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Well, my problem seems to be solved by disabling replays as described above, maybe it's worth a shot to try that as well ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lucas dos Santos

Lucas dos Santos Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Sorry about replying an so old thread, but that issue is happening with me - exactly as described above - and it's very annoying and disappointing!

It can happen at any moment, totally unexpected. Sometimes, it happens several times in a single day. Sometimes, everything runs fine without issues during a week or more.

It can happen at any game mode: single player, multiplayer, leaderboard challenge and even during a testdrive!

What could be causing that issue?

My setup:

Intel Core i7 3770K
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 680
    8 GB RAM
    Single screen @ 1920 x 1080
    Windows 8.1 64-bit

13. SVG BIOSPORT

SVG BIOSPORT Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    All - Happy New Year! Relax Christmas ...
    [​IMG]

14. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    Does your nVidia overlay enabled during the game?
    If enabled, try to disable it and play without it.

15. Lucas dos Santos

Lucas dos Santos Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    How can I check that?

16. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    Easy, when you launch any program, especially some games, right after launch at Top-Right appears for few seconds a notify that overlay is active.

Also, you can go into app, called "GeForce Experience" and disable overlay feature there.

Basically, this thing is very useful, it shows FPS, you can record or stream your gameplay, make some screenshots, etc. But sometimes it has confrontation with games like RaceRoom, I used to have that “transformer” glitch for 3-5 seconds and then game continues, but sometimes it can lead to crash, so I disabled any layouts available: GeForce and Steam.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Lucas dos Santos

Lucas dos Santos Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I didn't installed GeForce Experience. If the overlay is a feature of GeForce Experience, I think that I don't have it here.

18. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    No, its a feature of Steam. You have to disable it there

• Like Like x 1
  19. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    @Lucas dos Santos I had the same issue with AMD. Report has been filed. Can you check your logs please and see if the latest date is the same as the date you had the "freeze". If it is can you put a copy of the MWTransport and the Game logs in this thread.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  20. Lucas dos Santos

Lucas dos Santos Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    OK. I just found it in Steam's settings. I will disable it and see what happens.

UPDATE: It happened again, even with Overlay disabled.

Yes. I tried to play two times today and there are two logs with today's date. The game have "frozen" on these two times I tried to play.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019